Your thoughts please

Who should play at the contest?

• Total voters

lynchie

Whichever player can play the part best. If the better player doesn't practice he might not know the part well enough to play it well, and if the hard working player just isn't good enough, he wont play well... base it on what makes the piece sound best!

Assuming that both people for a specific part are members of the band (totally disagree with 'shipping' players in for a contest) then for me the obvious choice is the better player.

Put it this way, if Man United or any other football team were out to win a cup in a competition and were in the final would they play the reserves who probably try extremely hard and are committed (as they want to make the first team) or would they play the Van Nistleroys (or however you spell it) of the world? Exactly!

As a player if I were the least capable player and another member could play the part better (even if they didn't attend as many rehearsals) I would happily accept a decision that I should be dropped for the contest. I'd simply go along and watch and cheer really loudly for the day.

BTW - If you thought that Man Utd would play their reserves in a cup match then that probably explains why you're no Alex earning loads of dosh from good management.

Chunky

GJG said:
MattB said:
I am totally against bringing in people for contests alone.

So am I.

My impression from the original post was that we talking more about a scenario where you have to choose between two regular members. I'm certainly not condoning the use of "ringers" at the expense of regulars.

G.

Absolutely correct, the players concerned are players who have been signed with the band and are not just being shipped in for the contest. If that was the case it wouldnt be a dilemma

Edit: Duplicate post deleted (RT)

With respect to the Man Utd analogy used, they are professional players who get payed to do what they do, where as on the contrary, Brass Bands are amature players who purely seek enjoyment, aren't they? So to compromise a "lesser" but dedicated player's enjoyment for a "better" (not brilliant) player who is not enthusiastic would be wrong!

twm_trombone said:
With respect to the Man Utd analogy used, they are professional players who get payed to do what they do, where as on the contrary, Brass Bands are amature players who purely seek enjoyment, aren't they? So to compromise a "lesser" but dedicated player's enjoyment for a "better" (not brilliant) player who is not enthusiastic would be wrong!

If you're playing to win - you play your best. Whatever the situation! You have to think that some of these better players may not appear so committed as they have other committments too, perhaps family, work etc. Perhaps they're better as they may put in their practice at home - so in effect, still committed but perhaps just not in the bandroom.

The fundamental characteristics that an adjudicator looks for when adjudicating a band are intonation, tightness of ensemble and dynamics. These cannot be achieved unless a person regularly turns up for band practice, even though he might be doing an extraneous amount of practice at home it does not entail that he will be a proficient band player.

Banana

I think Gareth has a point - if the more committed player is able to play the piece adequately then they should be rewarded for their commitment, but if they aren't up to it, then the best interests of the band have to come first, don't they?

Roger Thorne

Dropping any player for what ever reason is always a difficult task, and as an MD I find this the hardest job to do. There is nothing worse than talking to a youngster who has worked really hard and telling them that they are not required for a particular engagement. It's OK until you see the tears appearing! Mind you I have had adults getting pretty upset too!

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question, as every band is different and everyone will have a different set of circumstances surrounding the issue.

I have the unpleasant task, very soon of informing six people that they will not be playing at the forthcoming area contest.

:wink:

Di

Lauradoll said:
twm_trombone said:
But the player could be a 12 year old child who had been turning up for practices for the past 3 months, and not being allowed to play could be very detremental to him.

who might go to pieces on the stage, blob in and the detrimental effect will be there for everyone. Especially at contests that matter.

There are a lot of youngsters out there who are very keen and contest regularly in solo/duet contests and probably have more stage confidence that some of the older players. I hope you are not suggesting that a player be dropped because of their age! :evil:

It's all the more difficult as the players who may or may not be dropped are in different sections of the band, thus ruling out an audition on the part in question. I would like to see the player who is most committed playing on the day. This would suggest to the band that commitment has it's rewards and that could encourage more commitment from other players. I guess you need to test the balance of the band with each of the players missing in turn and assess the performance. It would be hoped that both players would be mature enough to accept whatever decision is made and work hard towards being a player in the next contest.
Good luck.

Rambo Chick

I think effort should be rewarded, especially in the lower sections. With my old band, we were in that position and come area time, it got very awkward for one person who put in 100% rehearsals but wasn't necessarily as technical as some others who came to rehearsals as and when it suited them.
this was lower section. in the higher sections it is perhaps a slightly more ruthless game. :?

In the end it depends on the individual situation and for each one, it might be best to go for technical ability, or effort.

its a tricky one!

Carolyn
Flugel, United co-op Yorkshire

stopher

Lauradoll said:
twm_trombone said:
But the player could be a 12 year old child who had been turning up for practices for the past 3 months, and not being allowed to play could be very detremental to him.

who might go to pieces on the stage, blob in and the detrimental effect will be there for everyone. Especially at contests that matter.

SOunds like you heard Twm in Dundee playing for my band then!

twm_trombone said:
The fundamental characteristics that an adjudicator looks for when adjudicating a band are intonation, tightness of ensemble and dynamics. These cannot be achieved unless a person regularly turns up for band practice, even though he might be doing an extraneous amount of practice at home it does not entail that he will be a proficient band player.
Great point...I've met players in the past who on their own were technically great, but playing in a band and working as a whole team is a different kettle of fish. Here the 100% committed player would get my vote

super_sop

Supporting Member
Personaly, i think it depends on the band, and the general standard of the band. If it was a young band, and you were looking to blood players for experience, id go with the less able, more comited player. If your talking about a band that is going out to win, and i know we all want to win, then id go with the more technical player.

I know I wouldnt mind being droped if it meant that the good of the band was coming first. it is somthing that has happened in the past, and it encouraged me to play better, practice etc. to give me every opertunity to make the contest band for the next contest.

Boneman

------------------------------------------
JUDGEMENT OF SOLOMON

Tell both players that they are dropped.

The one that takes it graciously and agrees to return after the contest is the team player and should be included.

The one that has a strop and stamps their feet are not a team player and should not be included in team.
I believe that atitude will always win over ability.

bigmamabadger

PeterBale said:
Just a thought, which may or may not be appropriate or possible: if it is only one player, would there be any chance of getting them to assist with the percussion, so that they would still parrticipate fully in the day etc?

That's what I'm doing; on the last-in-first-out principle, and the fact that we don't need to play 4 horns in contest, I've been given the timps to play with.
Partita is a particularly easy timp part, I'm a pianist so I can read bass clef and I'm enough of a musician to make at least a reasonable attempt at it.
(So long as the basses don't confuse me, Paul you lurker)

I think it's a good idea to have a percussion assistant, cos it's not much fun to go to a contest and hang around watching everyone else play if you're not doing it yourself. And you get to hit things very loudly.
BMB

Boneman said:
JUDGEMENT OF SOLOMON

The one that takes it graciously and agrees to return after the contest is the team player and should be included.

The one that has a strop and stamps their feet are not a team player and should not be included in team.

Yeah I like this idea. Bring it on :lol:

Chunky

Boneman said:
JUDGEMENT OF SOLOMON

I like it! And just to continue playing devils advocate, they both have a major strop!

eckyboy

I think it all depends if the band is serious about doing well or if its more of a community band.There is room and a need for both types of band so players of all ability can enjoy banding :shock:

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.