Your first ever contest piece?

cornetshell

Sinfonietta Pastorale, Henry Gheel - 2001, Rep with Wellington (Telford) Brass Band...I had not long been introduced to brass bands from an orchestral start in life!!

:)

Matt Lawson

Sinfonietta Pastorale, Henry Gheel - 2001, Rep with Wellington (Telford) Brass Band...I had not long been introduced to brass bands from an orchestral start in life!!

:)

Likewise - although I didn't play at the area contest on this one. The band won though - and the National Finals in Preston (2001) was my first ever contest! The piece was Attleborough Suite by Malcolm Arnold.

Toxophile

"English Folk Song Suite" by Ralph Vaughan Williams, /QUOTE]

Oh how I remember that piece.
It's a nice work, but the Yorkshire Schools Band played it to death in the 1960s.
I started off liking it but after incessant performances it ceased to tickle my musical palate !

I could enjoy listening to it again though. (Once or twice !!)

- Mr Wilx

We also played it to death in the 70s, along with Padstow Lifeboat, Ceramic City Festival and Arthur Butterworths Three Impressions for Brass!

scotchgirl

Little Suite for Band by Malcolm Arnold....I still love it now, and had the 2nd movement at my wedding! lol! Makes the hair stick up on the back of my neck (attractive!). :)

Paddy Flower

Prisms (Peter Graham)

not gonna say where and when I played it and there is already an entire thread out there dedicated to trying to establish my identity...

(I've said too much)

marksmith

'Prometheus unbound' - WD&HO Wills Area qualifier, I think 1973, with Pressed Steel Fisher Band (Castle Bromwich).
The Finals piece was 'Force of Destiny' - championship Section!

Those were the days!:wink:

Coverhead

Main Street (Eric Ball)
1999 3rd Section Midlands Area (15th!) - Assistant to the Assistant 3rd Cornet!

I practiced so hard, I can still play most of it from memory!!

bbbluey

Malcolm Arnold's Little Suite For Brass... 1968 i think??!! section 4 National Finals in London. I remember my dad going back to the hotel to "rescue" Fred Eastwood the BBb player's playing dentures from the chamber maid..who was about to flush them down the loo... as he kept them wrapped in toilet tissue!!

P_S_Price

Have been playing for 42 years and have never contested, So my First ever contest piece will be the next one I play (If ever I get around to it)!

TrumpetTom

My first test piece I played in a contest would have been at holmfirth contest in 2006 when I was 11 with the honking hedgers. I can't remember the name of the piece, but it had somthing to do with mountain xymoids!!! The second test piece I did at a contest would have been Paganini variations with hade edge at buxton contest in 2007 when I was 12.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.