Your first ever contest piece?

flugelgal

I played in a non-contesting band for a few years before I moved to Glasgow and joined Clydebank.. "Get to the point", do I hear you cry? Well basically my first test piece was "Oceans", which is a lovely lovely piece by Goff Richards, in the Scottish Championships in 2003.

Kirsty

Keppler

Staff member
Indian Summer and Young in Heart for me...

although, there was an incident with "The Golden West", but that's best forgotten...

'Four Impressions for Brass' in the 4th section at the CISWO contest at blackpool. Can't remember what year it was, just that I was about 6 at the time and there wasn't enough room on the horn section so they stuck me on percussion(!), where i had my very own woodblock solo!! :)
Was also my 1st time on a rollercoaster, too! :)
First test piece in a championship sec band was The Planets at last years open :)

lynchie

well my first EVER contest piece was Big Mac March with school ensemble at the world famous Oundle Festival of Music and Brass...

first actual test piece type thing was, shockingly enough, Purcell Variations in 2003!

Moy

1968 Fowey River Suite and we won by I think 8 clear points at the Scottish areas.
That of course was playing with my ex band Bon Accord Silver.

Heather

'Doon Valley' at Pontins many moons ago. Actually it sounded more like 'Doomed Valley' the way we played it!!!!

Not quite sure, was possibly Haselmere Suite, Peter Graham;
4th section, London and Southern Counties 2000

Will have to think if I played in 1999 areas, but was probably still trying to figure out how to put my instrument together!!

HBB

Indian Summer, 4th Section 1999?

Now Kaleidoscope... what an Improvement!

*hums the start of indian summer! :p*

sudcornet

Let's hear it for Indian Summer! First played it (and won) with Kirkbymoorside Junior Band at Eskdale Festival in Whitby. Must have been around 1972. First " senior" band test piece was probably Resurgam at Northern Areas in 1973. Now I do feel old!

Sud.

Moy

sudcornet said:
Let's hear it for Indian Summer! First played it (and won) with Kirkbymoorside Junior Band at Eskdale Festival in Whitby. Must have been around 1972. First " senior" band test piece was probably Resurgam at Northern Areas in 1973. Now I do feel old!

Sud.
OLD look at the date of my first contest performance 1968 ANCIENT and still enjoying playing.

Mine first area test piece was The Three Saints- can't remember who it was by, 3rd section in 1998 in the Midlands.
I was 10 nearly 11 :D

Moy

Dawnys_flug said:
Mine first area test piece was The Three Saints- can't remember who it was by, 3rd section in 1998 in the Midlands.
I was 10 nearly 11 :D

Think it was Goff Richards I conducted it in Scotland with Turriff Silver Band.

Cheers Moy!
Can't remember much from back then! :wink:
Only that it was at Nottingham i think and the stage was in the bottom and the seats were like a collasium (sp??) going up and looking down on the bands. And i was playing 2nd cornet :p
Oh, and the beer tent was outside and it was very muddy!! :shock:

ju33les

Can't remember exact first test piece as brain has been pickled with vodka since! It'll be one of the following ,about 77/78
4 Little Maids
Little Suite for Brass
Petite Suite de Ballet
Blenheim

:D

Product tMP members are discussing