Young Ambassadors Brass Band of Great Britain

BbBill

Supporting Member
Players required for tour of USA and Canada, 3rd - 18th August 2007.

Euphonium
Baritone
2nd Trombone

The Young Ambassadors Brass Band of Great Britain are travelling to the USA and Canada for 2 weeks in August and are desperatly needing the above positions filled to complete the band. Players must be of Championship section standard and between the ages of 20-35.

We will play 14 concerts in the 2 weeks, and see the sights of Niagara Falls, Toronto, Lake George, and many more throughout northeast America and Canada.

The cost of the 2 week trip is £575 and the concert schedule is as follows :-

Fri 3rd August: Fly London to Boston
Sat 4th: Danbury Summertime Festival, Ct
Sun 5th: West Springfield Arts Festival, Springfield & also at Captain Leonard House, Agawam, Ma
Mon 6th: New York Pavilion, Lake Luzerne, NY
Tue 7th: Island Park, Williamsville, Buffalo, NY
Wed 8th: M&T Plaza, Buffalo, NY
Thu 9th: Bemus Point, Chattaugua Lake, NY
Fri 10th: Aylmer High School (near Niagara) Ont
Sat 11th: Reid Hall, Guelph, Ont
Sun 12th: Weston Collegiate Auditorium, Toronto, Ont (joint concert with Weston Silver Band)
Mon 13th: Central Park, Burlington, Ont
Tue 14th: Finger Lake, Skaneateles, NY
Wed 15th: Weedsport High School, Weedsport, NY
Thu 16th: Shephard Park, Lake George, NY
Fri 17th: Fly Boston to London (arriving 07:30 Sat 18th)

Make no mistake - it's a tiring trip (as many here on tMP have done it before will testify). There's at least 1 concert a day, sometimes 2.
The band party hard (and there's a wealth of bars that we revisit every time we're there and a big carryout on bus!) but are also expected to deliver the goods on stage.

Accommodation in the main is with families at the various venues we visit, although there will be a few of hotel stops along the way.

If you're interested please phone Frank Wolff on 01865 326271 as soon as possible.

Visit www.yabb.co.uk for more info.

Scotty

Im really looking forward to this, my first YABB trip! Heard so many good things about it so here's hoping these few vacancies can be filled A.S.A.P.

Bones

Players required for tour of USA and Canada, 3rd - 18th August 2007.

Euphonium
Baritone
2nd Trombone

The Young Ambassadors Brass Band of Great Britain are travelling to the USA and Canada for 2 weeks in August and are desperatly needing the above positions filled to complete the band. Players must be of Championship section standard and between the ages of 20-35.

We will play 14 concerts in the 2 weeks, and see the sights of Niagara Falls, Toronto, Lake George, and many more throughout northeast America and Canada.

The cost of the 2 week trip is £575 and the concert schedule is as follows :-

Fri 3rd August: Fly London to Boston
Sat 4th: Danbury Summertime Festival, Ct
Sun 5th: West Springfield Arts Festival, Springfield & also at Captain Leonard House, Agawam, Ma
Mon 6th: New York Pavilion, Lake Luzerne, NY
Tue 7th: Island Park, Williamsville, Buffalo, NY
Wed 8th: M&T Plaza, Buffalo, NY
Thu 9th: Bemus Point, Chattaugua Lake, NY
Fri 10th: Aylmer High School (near Niagara) Ont
Sat 11th: Reid Hall, Guelph, Ont
Sun 12th: Weston Collegiate Auditorium, Toronto, Ont (joint concert with Weston Silver Band)
Mon 13th: Central Park, Burlington, Ont
Tue 14th: Finger Lake, Skaneateles, NY
Wed 15th: Weedsport High School, Weedsport, NY
Thu 16th: Shephard Park, Lake George, NY
Fri 17th: Fly Boston to London (arriving 07:30 Sat 18th)

Make no mistake - it's a tiring trip (as many here on tMP have done it before will testify). There's at least 1 concert a day, sometimes 2.
The band party hard (and there's a wealth of bars that we revisit every time we're there and a big carryout on bus!) but are also expected to deliver the goods on stage.

Accommodation in the main is with families at the various venues we visit, although there will be a few of hotel stops along the way.

If you're interested please phone Frank Wolff on 01865 326271 as soon as possible.

Visit www.yabb.co.uk for more info.

Hello Willie,

Sadly I can't come on this one. Not enough holiday left I am afraid, but I can vouch that if the Luxembourg trip was anything to go by the America one will be awesome.

Also interested to note the age range of 20 -35. That must meant I am now officially "retired" from YABB, being a very youthful 35 I must say. The grey hair doesn't do me justice.

For any trombone player out there, get on YABB and have a good one.

Thanks for coming, you've been great, now..............

BbBill

Supporting Member
Alrite Mr Waller (!), haha!

Thats a shame you cant come, even with that mass of grey hair, youre surely not near the retirement stage yet?! As you say after this years brilliant Luxembourg trip, America will be fantastic! Altho with Shawn maybe not going, think I'll be left in charge of the bar, trips etc, arghh, there could be trouble ahead!!!!

Most of my 1st post was copied from one of Richard Batten's posts from a few years ago, I just added a few of this years details in, but basically the age thing isnt too important!!

So get signed up you any of you Trombone, Bari and Euph players that are wanting a good trip away!!!

sevenhelz

Hm, I'd love to join in if I could find the money. I believe I'd meet your standards as a euph player, and I learn pretty fast. I have a job interview on Thursday, which might sort out my worries there, so I'll get back to you.
:)
x

Wow, what a tour that's planned! If i was 'Championship standard' i'd love to! Good luck to everyone representing Great Britain!

Chris Sanders

Players must be of Championship section standard and between the ages of 20-35.

Good Morning Mr Ralston,

Should that not read 21-35, the drinking age in USA is 21, and in the states theyre supposed to ask for ID if you look under 25?

Hopefully i'll see you Whit Friday, many of us YABBers will be out with Chav Brass.

:guiness

Chris Sanders

What are you assuming you have to be able to drink alcohol to have a good time...?

No, I am not assuming that at all, what I am saying is on YABB we spend 10% of the trips playing concerts and 90% in bars, plus as is tradition every YABBer has to do the jagermeister and apple schnapps breakfast.

Who would want to spend a fortnight sat in their room alone because they are not allowed in the bars with the rest of the band?

:confused:

MajorMorgan

plus as is tradition every YABBer has to do the jagermeister and apple schnapps breakfast.

:confused:

Ah yes - fond memories. PS - I believe I invented the jagermeister breakfast with my good friend and colleague Mr James Pearson, way back (I believe) in 2001 or 2002. Please feel free to continue the tradition, but you must drink the health of myself and Mr Pearson during every ritual (jagermeister, jagermeister, jagermeister HO!) in memory of us now being old, married (to someone from YABB!) and with babies (well, me at least) and so well off the YABB radar for ever.

Having said that, Richard Robinson's stag do looks like it might turn out to be an old school YABB type reunion (Batten, Pagington, Handley, Peacock, Pearson, Cunningham, Butcher, Clough, Pearson et al)

If you can do it, do do it. You will not regret it. But don't be rubbish, because then you'll be the one that everyone laughs at for years to come - such as the young lady who played bottom 3rd cornet in 1999 and had to ask what the fingering was for a C#. I remember one year sight reading the ENTIRE concert because Frank decided to change the whole programme that morning without a rehearsal. Couple that with spending the afternoon in the boozer and THAT is living on the edge.

Ah yes - fond memories. PS - I believe I invented the jagermeister breakfast with my good friend and colleague Mr James Pearson, way back (I believe) in 2001 or 2002. Please feel free to continue the tradition, but you must drink the health of myself and Mr Pearson during every ritual (jagermeister, jagermeister, jagermeister HO!) in memory of us now being old, married (to someone from YABB!) and with babies (well, me at least) and so well off the YABB radar for ever.

Yes, tis' true, Major Morgan and I are the co-inventors of this complex and magical game. Please do not forget the (jagermeister, jagermeister, jagermeister HO!) as this is integral to the success of the tournament. Good luck all and keep your wits about you...

asteria

Should that not read 21-35, the drinking age in USA is 21, and in the states theyre supposed to ask for ID if you look under 25?

First time I went to the USA with YABB I was a youthful 20 year-old, and there has been the odd younger person on the trip. I don't think I was ever ID'd, but as long as you're sensible and don't go stupid you should be fine.

There's usually a couple of older one's (like YABB veteran Willie!) who keep an eye on the first-timers. I think the drinking age in Canada is 18, so you don't have to take it easy for the whole trip ;)

The trip is highly recommended, I've had the time of my life on YABB tours and made some fantastic life-long friends, so definitely take the opportunity if you can! :)

NAS

First time I went to the USA with YABB I was a youthful 20 year-old, and there has been the odd younger person on the trip. I don't think I was ever ID'd, but as long as you're sensible and don't go stupid you should be fine.

There's usually a couple of older one's (like YABB veteran Willie!) who keep an eye on the first-timers. I think the drinking age in Canada is 18, so you don't have to take it easy for the whole trip ;)

The trip is highly recommended, I've had the time of my life on YABB tours and made some fantastic life-long friends, so definitely take the opportunity if you can! :)

Helens hit the nail on the head with that reply. My first USA trip with YABB was 2001 and I was 19. Obviously I couldn't drink alcohol in the USA but I could in Canada. But in truth I still had a fantastic time without feeling the need to drink:-D

PS I think the drinking age in Canada is 19.

Steve

Obviously I couldn't drink alcohol in the USA

Where there's a will.....................!

Have a great time all who travel, wish I could but Australia destroyed my finances, I cant get the time off work, my doctor said its not a good idea and the police are always a risk.

'YABB' - player for player the greatest scratch band on earth.......................................

Aidan

'YABB' - player for player the greatest scratch band on earth.......................................when sober* (and not at the pleasure of oxford constabulary's B&B**)
I edited it for you Steve ;)
(and again!)

EIBB_Ray

Good Morning Mr Ralston,

How they card is not really a legal matter, it's a training issue. Some places teach their servers to card anyone who doesn't look 25, some say 30 etc. I'd say the heaviest ID checking occurs at convenience and licqour stores and clubs if they have someone at the door. One is less likely to be carded at a hotel bar, because for the most part police are concerned with people who will drink and drive or buy larger quantities (at sotres) and take it to parties with other minors, hotel patrons are mostly adults and the go to their rooms and don't bother anyone, so the servers there feel les pressure to card as many people.

If in doubt, talk about the Beatles and they'll assume you're ald and not bother.

Hi
Just thought I'd introduce myself.. I shall be your soprano player for the tour.. it is my first time in the YABB and I'm already resigned myself to the fact I shall be the rubbish one you all laugh at... but I can certainly sink a few beers so hopefully that will redeem myself.

Bring it on.