Yorkshire Schools Brass Band Possible Reunion

trombo

I am looking into the possibility of arranging a Reunion for former members of the "Yorkshire Schools Brass Band". I was a member of the band during the early 1960's when George Bradshaw was the Conductor. The sectional tutors included Tom Atkinson, Arthur Atkinson, Jack Emmott etc.

We performed all over the Yorkshire region from Scarborough in the east and Halifax in the west. The number of concerts averaged about four a year. Our Guest Conductors included George Malcolm and Arthur Butterworth. The administrator was Peter Room during the early years of the band.

Many players passed though the ranks of the band and many also joined the National Youth Brass Band. These players included: Keith Wilkinson, Ian Copland, John Hardy, Ian Wilkinson and many other excellent instrumentalists.

Please pm me or email me(brassmattaz@gmail.com) if you are interested in attending a reunion in the future.

Thank you for your interest.

trombo/Steve Ford

trombo

I am looking into the possibility of arranging a Reunion for former members of the "Yorkshire Schools Brass Band". I was a member of the band during the early 1960's when George Bradshaw was the Conductor. The sectional tutors included Tom Atkinson, Arthur Atkinson, Jack Emmott etc.

We performed all over the Yorkshire region from Scarborough in the east and Halifax in the west. The number of concerts averaged about four a year. Our Guest Conductors included George Malcolm and Arthur Butterworth. The administrator was Peter Room during the early years of the band.

Many players passed though the ranks of the band and many also joined the National Youth Brass Band. These players included: Keith Wilkinson, Ian Copland, John Hardy, Ian Wilkinson and many other excellent instrumentalists.

Please pm me or email me(brassmattaz@gmail.com) if you are interested in attending a reunion in the future.

trombo/Steve Ford
Has anyone got the contact details for Peter Room?
Please pm me or email:brassmattaz@gmail.com.

Thank you

trombo/Steven Ford

trombo/Steve Ford

I used to be in the Yorkshire Schools Band and remember the people you mention. Most played in the Bradford Boys Band under Arthur Atkinson and there were some excellent players. I think Ian Copland played Bass trombone and wasn't John Hardy son of Brighouse and Rastrick conductor. If same one attended Carlton Grammar same time as me Remember concert with Yorks Schools in which we were conducted by Jimmy Edwards. You brought up some happy memories. I played second trombone.

iancwilx

trombo/Steve Ford
I've just spotted this 5 year old post of yours about the BBAYS Steve. I was a member from when it started in 1960 until about 1966. (I kept playing in the band for three years after I left school :) ) Your post brought back many good memories and reminded me how privileged we are to have been part of the brass band world. I still do home practise and up until this virus crisis curtailed our activities I was still blowing with Yorkshire Imps Vets band ~ It's in the blood !

2nd tenor

Many decades ago I played a Bass in my county school brass band, I’m not sure how I passed the audition but I somehow managed. Whilst not a particularly able player I still worked hard at things and was reliable so perhaps someone put a good word in for me ...

Seeing Ian’s comment about added years reminds me of my exit from Banding and of some general points that are worth airing. Instead of staying on for ‘A’ levels I left School after ‘O’ Levels and started work. I wasn’t good enough to graduate to a decent adult contesting band (I played with my local youth Brass Band and that was the ‘sign posted’ exit route) and had no transport either so I was scuppered - or rather right or wrong that’s what I believed - so I simply gave up and moved on to my new life beyond school days. In hindsight I was still ‘sort of’ within the ‘school age’ range and recon that I could have ‘got away with’ some continued local youth brass band and County School BB playing for a couple more years, say ‘till I was eighteen or even nineteen ... even back then the rules would sometimes be flexed to keep a Bass player.

Ah well, what’s happened can’t be altered, In later life I returned to Brass playing on Trombone and later back to Bass - love them both. I’ll never be a star player but enjoy what I do and make a useful, essential even, contribution to the Band - even star players need someone playing under them. Whatever, here’s the important bit and I hope that those folk who train young Brass players take note: not all of your pupils will be stars but all of them need a few kind works and guidance to help then to continue playing after their school days.

The star players might also take note too, support and encourage your less able contemporaries because they provide the cake on which you are the icing.

The YSBB was mentioned at the start of the thread, I wouldn’t wish to divert the thread and I wish any reunion well. Some players will have done great things whilst others ‘just’ get by. Perhaps they can set achievements, pride and rivalries aside to instead simply enjoy playing and making music together.

Last edited:

Product tMP members are discussing