Yorkshire Regional Championships - 2010

John_D

Is there a significant pride aspect in being "The Champion Band of Yorkshire"?

At their open rehersal last thursday, Nick Childs (Black Dyke's MD) left no-one wondering about this. Winning the areas (particularly in Yorkshire) IS something significant and something to be proud of.

Goldie Horn

Awesome weekend in Yorkshire-heard all 1st section, 2nd, 3rd section and Championship section and greatly enjoyed whole event. To echo everyone's point on the late running of the contest-the finish is waaaaaaay too late.

We left just after the results, arrived home at just after 3.30am. Up at 7 for work or pull an all-nighter to get in to work the next day nice and early.

Hardcore but worth it! (But please put three sections on the Saturday next year :)

I had a fab weekend! Would like to say a mahoosive congrats to Hebden Bridge!!!

Thanks Leisa, good for all you guy's for moving up, isn't it exciting!! Were both moving up in the world. eeekkk

I don't know how there going to cope with me in their section, i'll add a bit of class tho dont you think?!?!lol ;)

Cant wait for the first rehearsal after a good result. Or all the excuses after a bad one!ha haa

Is there a significant pride aspect in being "The Champion Band of Yorkshire"?

I hope your not attempting to disrespect Yorkshire are you? The best bands are in Yorkshire and i cant think of another area where you'd have to work so hard to sound half as good as the top Yorkshire bands.

If that makes sense?!?!

Thirteen Ball

Congrats to Knottingley who won our section and also Frickley who are coming up with us!! didn't listen to any bands on the actual day but heard Frickleys recording, I thought they were unlucky not to come higher with such a clean performance! :cool:

Very Kind of you Leisa, thanks. Whatever the chaps in the box thought, we were well chuffed with it, and are very glad you're coming up with us! :clap:

On a side note, two of my mates in the audience were very complimentary about your soprano player - who can't be more than 13 or 14? Apparently she knocked spots off most of the other sop players across the stage, so please let her know it was very much noticed she done good...

Well done to Knottingley. Class of their own on the day....

Last edited:

leisa

Very Kind of you Leisa, thanks. Whatever the chaps in the box thought, we were well chuffed with it, and are very glad you're coming up with us! :clap:

On a side note, two of my mates in the audience were very complimentary about your soprano player - who can't be more than 13 or 14? Apparently she knocked spots off most of the other sop players across the stage, so please let her know it was very much noticed she done good...

Yep I will do, she is Louise Belton and she is 14 and she played really well on Sat, we are very proud of her! :)

Valvecap

Cheers Leisa - Good that Grangemoor and Us are both on the up.. bring on the 1st section!!!! Our bands never been there before so totally uncharted territory!

Zappa

I see your point, but surely over-blowing is over-blowing... and a big sound is a big sound.

I can't see any adjudicators not realising the difference. Although I might be wrong.

You'd think so and i agree, however some bands were accused of it on Saturday and they were not guilty ... Sometimes i just think the adjudicators get the blinkers on and immediately think over-blowing ...

Mind you, i must admit i've never realised just how different the acoustics are in St. Georges depending on where you sit ... It's obvious acoustics change for the listener depending on where you sit in a venue however, i was suprised by the scale of the difference.

Al

And therein lies a very good point.

Perhaps to forward an entirely meaningful opinion you need to be sat close to the adjudicators.

And in a tent, with a bucket to one side or whatever.

We are subject to closed adjudication. How many bands really fully take that into account?

Zappa

And therein lies a very good point.

Perhaps to forward an entirely meaningful opinion you need to be sat close to the adjudicators.

And in a tent, with a bucket to one side or whatever.

We are subject to closed adjudication. How many bands really fully take that into account?

True Al, very true (although I don't think the organisers would be too impressed!) Lol. Only joking, certainly see your point though

Thirteen Ball

Interestingly we are often told that the presence of an additional adjudicator in the box is to balance out opinion with objectivity and lead to (overall) a fairer result.

Overall, I don't think our own remarks are too conflicting, but I had a look through the remarks for a friend's band after the saturday, and one could be forgiven for thinking the adjudicators were listening to two different bands.

Example: one adjudicator has written "Lovely soprano cornet, well done!" The other writes "Soprano untidy, just about makes it through...."

How does that help anyone?!

This is just one example, but the comments are littered with places where the opinions are so diametrically opposed as to be worthless to the band to use for improvement.

Question: In this case, how is it possible that any results have come out at all other than by one adjudicator completely over-ruling the other? In which case, what precisely is the point in having two?

tkhbss

Anyone else uncomfortable with the fact that the adjudicator at the Championship Section in Yorkshire conducted the winning band for ten years previously?

When invited to perform the adjudication, shouldn't he have declared an interest? Better still, should he not have been invited at all in the first place, as there are plenty of other (impartial) adjudicators around from other regions and he could have adjudicated in a different region where there were bands competing who he had never conducted?

Just a personal opinion, and clearly the competing bands are not concerned (or at least I have not seen any other similar points made) so perhaps I am being a little over-suspicious.

bassmittens

Anyone else uncomfortable with the fact that the adjudicator at the Championship Section in Yorkshire conducted the winning band for ten years previously?

When invited to perform the adjudication, shouldn't he have declared an interest? Better still, should he not have been invited at all in the first place, as there are plenty of other (impartial) adjudicators around from other regions and he could have adjudicated in a different region where there were bands competing who he had never conducted?

Just a personal opinion, and clearly the competing bands are not concerned (or at least I have not seen any other similar points made) so perhaps I am being a little over-suspicious.

If he'd conducted them last year or within the last year, then maybe, but i don't think there is any need to worry.

TBH i think it would be hard to find any of the top adjudicators who we as players respect enough to give a worthy adjudication of a top section contest, who have not had some connection to at least one of the top bands (in one of the regions) in some way or the other over the past 10 years either as a player or conductor etc.

This comes up after every major contest, and personally i do not think any adjudicator would risk the ruin to his or her reputation by allowing a so called investied interest cloud their impartial judgement of any contest.

That's my thoughts anyway!

Cyril

Erm are you missing something? He also conducted Black Dyke in the past also.

Last edited:

Pav

Ooh, can we play Seven degrees of Derek Broadbent? Fairly sure you could link him to all the bands playing on Sunday evening. He's been around a bit.

Out of interest why do you think the chairman of the ABBA would want to fix a contest?

DannyCollin

God almighty, is there no end to this CARP?