Yorkshire - Championship

asteria

Member
Well I had a fab day yesterday (what i remember of it!), only heard 4 bands. Thought Grimey were a bit dissapointing (although Sandy Smith was brill), Brighouse were great and thought they might win it until YBS put on an awesome musical performance that blew them out of the water! Well done to all who played! :D

Hey and i even got all 3 of my top section predictions right!!
 

Lauradoll

Active Member
I think thepanel who have chosen Tristan got it spot on. It has produced so many musical performances and I think the fact that so many people have enjoyed playing it has something to do with the high standard of playing heard yesterday. I know I've enjoyed the rehearsals for Preston and preparing for Blackpool, I just hope the high standard is the same at Blackpool next week. Personally, I can't wait!!!

I only heard 2 bands yesterday, YBS and Imps and the last section of Rothwell (which sounded awesome, by the way!!) and I wish I'd got there earlier to hear some more.

Well done to everyone but especially to the selection committee. Good choice :tup :tup
 

johnflugel

Active Member
Lauradoll said:
I only heard 2 bands yesterday, YBS and Imps and the last section of Rothwell (which sounded awesome, by the way!!) and I wish I'd got there earlier to hear some more.

Thanks for your kind comments Doll! People often forget about us because we don't do contests after May (hopefully that will change come the Grand Shield results!) so it was nice to be amongst the top six for the second year on the trot. Any band who played it yesterday will tell you how wonderful that last movement is to play.
 

grandfilth

Member
Thanks to everyone who has said nice stuff bout our performance, alas banding will be banding! Mind you didnt hear anyone but from the comments i've heard maybe we deserved better but hey if you're not in the top three (which apparently we definately wer'nt) you might as well be last as long as you stay up!

It was my first Yorkshire area and it was an interesting experience!!First you wait around outside in the cold for about 10 minutes, then you get put in a boiling changing room, then you get moved backstage where you cant play for the 20 minutes before you play. Then, since you've heard that its hot on stage (bottles of water at the ready!) you send the percussion on to set up before you go on. However apparently the organisers aren't big fans of common sense! So they bap you all on stage so you can sit there on what can only be described as an over sized oven, where you can get all worked up over what's just about to happen. Then, a miracle eventually we're allowed to play!!T he pressure was different to how i've felt before. Then I look out into the audience and there's Glynn Williams in the fifth row! Then you play and it seems like 2 minutes of playing and then you're off!! Weird! I know its historical and stuff but is it not time they thought about the way they run this contest? I am aware that everyone has the same conditions but surely its not productive for good music?!?

Congratulations to the top bands. Also well done to all the bands for making it through without melting!
 

geordiecolin

Active Member
yorkyboy said:
Having made some quick calculations Pennine Brass and Yorkshire Imps should be relgated from Championship Section as Knottingley and Chapeltown will get a reprieve due to it being there first year in the section

Although not being present at the contest, the results to seem to comfirm the so called "gap" between the Champ and 1st Section in Yorkshire. For the 2 promoted bands to come last and 2nd last does perhaps hint upon a trend.
 

Darth_Tuba

Active Member
geordiecolin said:
Although not being present at the contest, the results to seem to comfirm the so called "gap" between the Champ and 1st Section in Yorkshire. For the 2 promoted bands to come last and 2nd last does perhaps hint upon a trend.

Personally, I think the top section in Yorkshire is too big, especially considering the number of bands in the lower sections. I know it's nice for the promoted bands to play with the likes of Dyke YBS etc, but should they really be there? The section became to large a few years back when no bands were demoted and several brought up if I remember rightly.
 

bassinthebathroom

Active Member
Whispers of 3 bands going down and only two coming up, or 2 down and one up to make the top section smaller...
If 3 go down, it could be tricky to decide who, as Skelmanthorpe and Lindley are tied on 28 points. Again, Hade Edge and Yorks Co-ops both have 12 and Hatfield 11.5.

4 down and 3 up?!??

15 is definately too many!
 

tsawyer

Member
If you look at the figures there's definately a two tier top section.

Taking the results of the last two years (taken from yesterday's programme), and adding them together with yesterday's results, you get the following:

(band 2002 2003 2004 total)

Brighouse 3 1 3 7
YBS 4 6 1 11
Grimethorpe 2 5 5 12
Sellers 6 3 4 13
Dyke 1 13 2 16
Rothwell Temps 7 4 6 17

Hepworth 5 11 9 25
Carlton Main 9 10 8 27
Stocksbridge 14 2 11 27
Lindley 8 8 12 28
Skelmanthorpe 11 7 10 28
Pennine 10 12 7 29
Knottingley 8 8 14 30
Imps 8 9 13 30
Chapeltown Silver 8 8 15 31

There's rather a big gap between the top six and the rest.

Tim.
 

bassinthebathroom

Active Member
Also looks like Horbury Victoria and Stannington go down to the 2nd section from 1st.
YBS Concert and Barnsley BS: promoted to 1st
Yorks Evening Post and Elland: relegated to 3rd
Dinnington and Stanley Newmarket: promoted to 2nd
Barnsley Met and Emley: relegated to 4th
Gawthorpe and Grange Moor go into the 3rd section from the 4th.

All these based on points alone of course! :D
 

geordiecolin

Active Member
Don't think we can be promoted seeing as we've only just come down. I think we have to wait a year and do it all again next time around.

Not sure though

Or we could just win the Nationals! :shock: :D
 

Straightmute

Active Member
bassinthebathroom said:
15 is definately too many!

That depends on whether you grade the bands according to a) the set which comprises the top ten bands in the region, or b) bands which have attained the required standard.

I'd argue that it should be (b) because I think that music is more important than matching sets. Pennine and Imps both gave workmanlike performances of Tristan yesterday and in some other regions they might have been in contention for qualification. If the gradings are National gradings then surely they should indicatate the band's ability on a national basis, ie relative to bands in other regions of the country.

Why should 15 bands be too many - the number playing at the Masters, the Open, most sections at Pontins and every section of the National Finals is greater than 15.

The only bands who seemed out of their depth at Bradford were the newly promoted bands, but who would deny them their chance? They had both earned promotion and to leave them in the first section would be an injustice to the other bands in that section.

I think that we just have to live with the fact that there are more Championship Section bands in the Yorkshire region, or else redefine what we understand by Championship Section standard and reduce numbers elsewhere... :twisted:

D
 
We were delighted with our performance this year. I thought that we may have come a bit higher, but then thats contesting.

A bit worrying to read the postings that we might now be involved in a relegation battle.

Well done to the qualifiers.

Paul
Innovate Skelmanthorpe
 

bassinthebathroom

Active Member
Straightmute said:
bassinthebathroom said:
15 is definately too many!

That depends on whether you grade the bands according to a) the set which comprises the top ten bands in the region, or b) bands which have attained the required standard.

I'd argue that it should be (b) because I think that music is more important than matching sets. Pennine and Imps both gave workmanlike performances of Tristan yesterday and in some other regions they might have been in contention for qualification. If the gradings are National gradings then surely they should indicatate the band's ability on a national basis, ie relative to bands in other regions of the country.

Why should 15 bands be too many - the number playing at the Masters, the Open, most sections at Pontins and every section of the National Finals is greater than 15.

The only bands who seemed out of their depth at Bradford were the newly promoted bands, but who would deny them their chance? They had both earned promotion and to leave them in the first section would be an injustice to the other bands in that section.

I think that we just have to live with the fact that there are more Championship Section bands in the Yorkshire region, or else redefine what we understand by Championship Section standard and reduce numbers elsewhere... :twisted:

D

True. This really is a sticky one. Yes, most of the bands there yesterday could have taken qualification spot at another region (save perhaps Wales and the NW). Who knows - will be interested to see what they decide vis. Promotion and Relegation though.
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top