Yorkshire area

Mike S

Last year the Imps left the championship, but this year looks problematic too for a couple pf bands. Take a look at the rankings for the last 2 years amalgamated results:

Brighouse & Rastrick 1+ 3= 4
Yorkshire Building Society 6+ 1= 7
Grimethorpe 5+ 5= 10
Sellers 3+ 4= 7
Black Dyke 13+ 2= 15
Rothwell Temperance 4+ 6= 10
Hepworth 11+ 9= 20
Carlton Main 10+ 8= 18
Stocksbridge 2+ 11= 13
Skelmanthorpe 7+ 10 = 17
Lindley 8+ 12=20
Pennine Brass 12 +7= 19
Knottingley Silver 8 +14=22

Seems to me that Dyke will be okay after that one off slip but what about Hepworth and Knottingley? It will be certainly worth watching

becks164

well lets hope sellerws come in the top three this time round!!! i have faith in you sellers as a member of the youth band rock on

stephen2001

Anything can happen tho ;)
Does anyone know when the last time that any of Dyke, Grimethorpe, B&R or YBS weren't competing in the top section?

geordiecolin

...and surely you must also take into consideration that this year, of the 3 bands who came down, 2 had only been promoted the year before.

It appears to me, without being disrepectful that Hade Edge and Co-Op will have their work cut out just to stay in the section!!

Sopex

Maths !!

It appears to me, without being disrepectful that Hade Edge and Co-Op will have their work cut out just to stay in the section!![/QUOTE]

Have to disagree that this year Hade Edge and Yorkshire Co-op should worry about relegation.

The maths bit - hypothetically they come last and second last in Bradford. This would mean that there aggregate score would be Hade Edge 28 (7+7+14) and Yorks Co-op 27 (7+7+13).

For them to be relegated would mean that Hepworth and Lindley would both need to finish in the top six (as finishing 7th or lower would mean at least 27 points and relgation), Pennine would need to be better that 8th, Carlton Main would need to avoid finishing 9th and Skelmanthorpe, 10th. If either Hade Edge or Yorks Co-op manage to pick up a place outside the bottom two then all of these figures need to be improved by 1 for each place outside.

In my humble opinion Hade Edge and Yorks Co-op can look forward to another year at the top level. Lindley are dead certs for relegation (can't see them finishing high enough) and pick any one from Hepworth, Pennine, Carlton Main and Skelmanthorpe.

DublinBass

Supporting Member
That's amazing to think of a Hepworth, Pennine, Carlton or Skelmanthorpe dropping to 1st section considering what a good year some of those bands have had contesting...but the numbers don't and won't lie.

Think you'll find that Hade Edge & Coops will start with 15 points (7.5 + 7.5) as there were 15 bands in 2004 & 2003.
Relegation will be determined by the relative placings of bands. For example if Hade Edge or Coops came 14th they would be on 29 points. If Lindley finished 8th they would be on 28 points, if say Pennine finished 10th they would be on 29 points.
The points system raises two questions for me:

firstly is it 'fair' for a promoted band to be awarded half points based on the number of bands that took part on the previous 2 years?

secondly it highlights the importance for adjudicators in awarding the placings at the lower end of the contest when the diference between 9th and 10th can determine a bands fate.

Steve Hopwood

tubafran

Sopex said:
The maths bit - hypothetically they come last and second last in Bradford. This would mean that there aggregate score would be Hade Edge 28 (7+7+14) and Yorks Co-op 27 (7+7+13).

Excepting Brig, Grimey, Sellers, Rothwell & YBS all the other bands have at least one years result lower than the average (7) which certainly gives Hade Edge and the Co-op a high chance of staying up.

Black Dyke 13+ 2= 15
Hepworth 11+ 9= 20
Carlton Main 10+ 8= 18
Stocksbridge 2+ 11= 13
Skelmanthorpe 7+ 10 = 17
Lindley 8+ 12=20
Pennine Brass 12 +7= 19

Sopex

Previous examples

The same thing happened back in 2002. That year the new entrants to the top section were Marsden and Drighlington. Marsden were placed last (15th) and Drig 12th. Both survived another year - when Drig were placed last (15th) and Marsden 14th. Both were relegated.

Still think the same thing will happen. Hade Edge and Yorks Co-op will last another year, then face relegation next year as dead certs - unless they can pull one out of the bag in March.

DublinBass

Supporting Member
hoppiebari said:
firstly is it 'fair' for a promoted band to be awarded half points based on the number of bands that took part on the previous 2 years?

Maybe bands that have been recently promoted or demoted should have their total mutiplied by 3 (eg if they come in 4th their new subtotal is 12; 8 would be 24) and when they're in their second year up, their two year total is multiplied by 1.5 (eg a 4th and 8th place would make 18 pts)

That might be more fair for a band that gets relegated down and then is quite stong the next year, or a weak band that got lucky and promoted.

I hope that makes sense.

OK - so now we have all confined my band and Hade Edge to last and second last (and thanks for that - I like the no pressure angle and no one will care if we do come last) let's look at the bigger picture!
Regardless of which bands get relegated and we know some should be (but not definitely pending appeals etc!!) what's the point of playing in bands? Enjoyment, improvement and of course, entertainment. so, my question - does it really matter what section you are in? do you have to be in the Championship section to entertain and enjoy and improve??
I come off the track slightly but at the end of the day we all go to the area with a view to do our best - all the bands put in the same amount of hard work either in or out of the bandroom and any of us can have a good or a bad day. At the end of the day, it's about doing your best and enjoying it and whilst we will strive to stay in the top section for another year, having bounced up and down like the preverbial yoyo (and that's the band not me personally) between the top and First Section for several years, the band still has the same attitude, conviction and passion regardless of what section!
Anything can happen, it's a fickle business. good luck to all the bands in every region. congrats to the winners and the same to the losers who went on stage and did the job anyway!
When and if we come last as expected as the section new comer - no-one will care - when we don't, I'll be the one in the bar with the apple schnapps!!!!!
Good luck all and see you in Bradford!

Straightmute

...and don't discount the 'Rienzi factor'. The unusual nature of this year's test piece could easily throw up some unpredicted results...

D

bassinthebathroom

How the grading table looked at the start of this year.
YORKSHIRE REGION
Ranked at 01 January 2005

Championship Section 2003 2004 Total

1 Brighouse and Rastrick 1 3 4

2= Sellers International 3 4 7

2= YBS 6 1 7

4= Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) 5 5 10

4= Rothwell Temperance 4 6 10

6 Stocksbridge 2 11 13

7 Black Dyke 13 2 15

8= Hade Edge (J & E Dickinson) p 8 p 8 16

8= United Co-op Yorkshire p 8 p 8 16

10 Innovate Skelmanthorpe 7 10 17

11 Carlton Main Frickley Colliery 10 8 18

12 Pennine Brass 12 7 19

13= Hepworth (Persimmon Homes) 11 9 20

13= Lindley 8 12 20

Total No. of Bands competing 15 15 14

wally

When and if we come last as expected as the section new comer - no-one will care - when we don't, I'll be the one in the bar with the apple schnapps!!!!!
Good luck all and see you in Bradford![/QUOTE]

Good luck to you and all at Yorks COOP. I wish you all the best, honest I do ......but apple schnapps? yeuch!!

Sopex

Black Dyke relegated?

Let's have a bit more fun with this thread....

...suppose Balck Dyke have another 2003 performance (the Rienzi factor as reviously mentioned by Straightmute could cause this) and they find themselves in the bottom two grading positions. This would mean they would be relegated (I know they would appeal and win, but stick with me!). However, as National Champions they pre-qualify for the Nationals this year. Suppose they win again, therefore pre-qualifying for 2006 finals.

They would however next year compete in the qualifiers for Section 1...they win that and qualify as Yorks representatives. Would they be allowed to compete in the Nationals at Championship and 1st Section level????????

I know hypothetical - but not impossible;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

wally said:
Good luck all and see you in Bradford!

Good luck to you and all at Yorks COOP. I wish you all the best, honest I do ......but apple schnapps? yeuch!![/QUOTE]

cheers Wally

but - what the hell is wrong with apple schnapps. In fact = there's a bit of a story in our band. I have a real thing for it and the year the band came fifth at the Grand Shield on Tallis (yes we really came fifth!!!!!) I drank almost two bottles and 9 months later exactly my hubby and I who had also consumed a large quoter of Blackpool's beer fund fave birth to my gergeous baby Oliver!!!
hence, in our band - when the apple schnapps comes out you have to be 'careful' if you know what I mean!!!
sees you in Bradford!!!