Yes ... another poll, but they're fun aren't they (Quartets)

Quartets: Good, or a waste of time?

• What's a quartet? No-one's ever asked me? Is that saying something?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like listening, but playing is boring!

• It does absolutely nothing for you, or the band, its full of disappointment, and tempers get frayed

• I'd much rather play in full bands contests

• Total voters

HBB

Hey, Who thinks that quartets are good for intonation! (sorry for the speeling!!! :D:D)

Well now you can vote on it!!!
conductor_conducting.gif

super_sop

Supporting Member
Quartets, quintets etc. excellent!!.
i play in one and believe it is good for intonation etc. it can bring a player on no end.
Thers nowere to hide, you learn how to play together, listen to each other and stuff like that.
im all for them :)
super-sop

PeterBale

Staff member
Any small group playing can only be beneficial, particularly for those of us at the lower end of the band who can often be lacking in opportunities for playing anything other than sustained bass lines, bass solos in marches and oompahs. Playing in chamber groups definitely makes you more aware of the need to listen to what those around you are doing, and to balance accordingly - all the more so in a group such as a tuba quartet where you may have to hide away on an inner part.

Sarahjo

I was bought up with doing quartets and slow melodies, and miss doing them. There dosen't seem to be the opportunity to take part in these sort of competions like there used to be, or is it me???? :roll:

HBB

Down South (i.e. London) there is an anual competion run by SCABA .

This is the only competion that I know of.

Btw. Whats a slow melody competition :?: :?: :?:

HBB

On this website it will be known as the Goldaming Contest (partly because it was held in Godalming!!!!)

Boneman

I've just joined a trombone Quartet/Quintet - I think that it really makes you think - there is no conductor there to give you direction, so its very much up to yourself to work out how to play.

Consequently it has made me think a lot more about balance and intonation - this has got to be a good thing! (how often have you seen these two words (balance/intonation) on an adjudication?)

Brian

Quartets

I always loved quartet playing, even as a euphonium player,there was generally much more to do, and nobody to hide behind. I now play trombone in a quintet, and my playing continues to improve, intonation problems are a thing of the past, as with only five voices, tuning is of paramount importance, as it should be with any ensemble anyway.A friend of mine plays in a group of ten trombones and rhythm section,(guitar, electric keyboard and drum kit) the sounds they produce are exceptional, as are the arrangements, most of which come from America. It's a great pity that more of these groups don't exist in the UK. We tried in the North East Midlands Association to include quintets in the Annual Contest, but there was very little interest, Bands only wanted quartets, a great pity, and showed a lack of wanting to introduce new ideas and formats.

Aidan

i play in both, have played in prizewinning brass-band quartets at besses, currently in a T-Horn quartet at the RNCM and a "real quintet" i.e. trumpets and tuba rather than cornets and bass :wink: any ensemble helps with intonation, phrasing, articulation etc.. but the smaller ensemblesi find much more enjoyable, as you normally have much more to do, there is not many doubling parts (normally) so you dont have anyone to hide behind, and if you are playing good arrangements with a good balance, where each member is listening to the others and using same phrasing/articulations, you can produce an amazing sound. Its a pity they no longer do senior/open quartets (or even quintets) at the british open solo/quartets championships. We tried entering a couple of years ago and were told there was no interest, I then spoke to a friend who had been told the same thing when his band tried to enter a quartet!!!! With a bit of advertising they could easily get a lot of bands interested. I think a petition is in order... all in favour say "aye" :wink:

BoozyBTrom

Smaller brass groups are worth their weight in gold. As regards intonation and all round listening to each other and playing together.

Far better than a full band for certain aspects.

Especially Trombone Quartets

although i am biased.

HBB

BoozyBTrom said:
Smaller brass groups are worth their weight in gold. As regards intonation and all round listening to each other and playing together.

Far better than a full band for certain aspects.

Especially Trombone Quartets

although i am biased.

Hey Boozy,
have you ever played "Bluesleeves?"

I heard it at the SCABA QUartet contest - and although short, it was a very nice piece.