XBOX

Dave Payn

Whilst browsing for XBOX games last week, I saw one - presumably a racing game - called Furious Karting. I guess the game's makers must have known the Spoonerism that would produce.... ;-)

2nd man down

Staff member
The possible spoonerism of XBOX alone is a rather hightly contentious issue at the mo...there are a few ladies (I use the word ladies loosely) adamant that he does!!

Darth_Tuba

Swap the first letter or sylable of the first word with the first of the second word and all will become clear! It's a (self modded*) if you can come up with one that works.

*Anyone who knows the spoonerism I was using will know why I have edited this :oops:

Dave Payn

lynchie said:
excuse me for being young and naive (or stupid...) but what's a spoonerism?

Named after the Reverend William Archibald Spooner (or Spilliam Archibald Wooner) (1844-1930), famed for his 'humorous' transposition of initial letters

For example:

Can I have the keys to your flat?
Can I have the fleas to your cat?

Would you like a hazel nut?
Would you like a nasal hut?

Stand clear of the closing doors
Stand clear of the dozing claws

A pack of lies
A lack of pies

It's roaring with pain
It's pouring with rain

At the speed of light
At the lead of spite

Go and take a shower
Go and shake a tower

Flat cap
Cat flap

Furious Karting
Curious .......

Dave Payn

Now try solving these

A Tale of two Cities
Dental receptionist
Doing the chores
Master plan
Sad ballad
Hope in your soul :oops:
Keen as mustard
Sleeping bag
Four-part

drummerboy

Dave Payn said:
Named after the Reverend William Archibald Spooner (or Spilliam Archibald Wooner) (1844-1930), famed for his 'humorous' transposition of initial letters

And if i remember rightly, he used to do it in services too! :D Also, I believe he did Ralph Vaughan Williams' first wedding. Bet that was fun! :D :lol:

PeterBale

Staff member
Oe of his supposed real-life transpositions was when he spoke of the hymn containing the phrase "conquering kings their titles take . . .", saying instead "kinquering kongs . . ."

Dave Payn

In fact there's a few names and user names here useful for the 'roonerspism....

Beat 'er pale
Stonky Wickman
Hate the corn

Any more?

Dave Payn

If anyone's interested (I doubt it!) I have a whole 'orchestra's' worth of joke Spooner 'names' (like Paula Crozzie, Lottie Bick, Billy Sugger etc. etc.) which, as you may have already gathered, will be far too rude to put here.... pm me if interested!

DP