Wychavon Festival of Brass

second_horn

It's my first Wychavon, looking forward to it, we are competing 4th and 3rd section, so quite a long day. Good Luck everyone!

second_horn

It's my first Wychavon, looking forward to it, we are competing 4th and 3rd section, so quite a long day. Good Luck everyone! Stevetrom, I thought you could only be registered to play with one band?

Last edited:

2nd tenor

Stevetrom, I thought you could only be registered to play with one band?

That's what I used to think too, seemed logical at first but sometimes a band might be understrength for a variety of good reasons so I guess it's fair to allow then to compete at 'full strength'. Whatever, this is what the Wychavon rules say:

4. A band may borrow no more than four registered players (in addition to any non- registered players). .
a. A borrowed player must be from a band that is nationally graded in the same section or a lower section than the borrowing band.

b. If the borrowing band is graded in the Fourth Section, it may borrow two of the permitted four from the Third Section.
c. The band secretary will, on the day of the contest, provide a document from the borrowed player’s band which signifies their agreement and confirms the section in which they play.

BOTBB

Eccles Borough took 1st place in the 2nd Section and 2nd Place in the 1st Section, losing out to Poynton by 1 point. I am pretty sure that Poynton are moving up to Championship Section as are at least one other Band competing in the 1st Section today. Most of the Bands competing in the 1st Section were also entering the Championship Section Contest later today. It has been a great day for Eccles, who are currently graded 2nd Section Nationally. The whole Band are currently whooping it up in Wychavon Town Centre all dressed in Halloween Fancy Dress and parading todays Trophies ........

drummerdave

So proud of all the team at Vernon Building Society Poynton .We thoroughly enjoyed the day and were so pleased to come away with the top prize in the 1st section , second in the Championship section and a best percussion prize in both. There are so many talented and hardworking people involved in our band but of course a special mention to our MD Neil Samuel for his hard work , tenacity and belief . The icing on the cake was an invitation to the Senior Trophy next May . Well done to all the other bands who came away with prizes .

So proud of all the team at Vernon Building Society Poynton .We thoroughly enjoyed the day and were so pleased to come away with the top prize in the 1st section , second in the Championship section and a best percussion prize in both. There are so many talented and hardworking people involved in our band but of course a special mention to our MD Neil Samuel for his hard work , tenacity and belief . The icing on the cake was an invitation to the Senior Trophy next May . Well done to all the other bands who came away with prizes .

..... and to all the ones who didn't!

We want bands to come to our contest--- and we want to make it as feasible as possible hence the comparatively generous rules about borrowed players. It's an entertainment contest and not the life and death stuff that marks out the Regionals!!

Above all we want bands to be able to show off what they can do and to enjoy themselves. As long as the rules are applied fairly, which we sincerely try to do, then I can see no problem. We all know how difficult it is to field a band these days given the times we live in so a little bit of generosity over borrowed players helps out all those who want to compete... and makes for a better contest!!

Val Trim

Chair, Wychavon

Pleased to learn that the Poynton band did well, thoroughly enjoyed their programme and there was some real quality playing.

Are the full results out anywhere yet? Can anyone help with any of them?

second_horn

Well done to Wem Jubilee , after the mistake with the 4th section results where they were announced to have come 2nd, and then told there had been a mistake!! and actually had come 7th!!, :( went on to be placed 3rd in the 3rd section and also won best percussion in 3rd section....made up for the disappointment! :D

All in all a great day out ...all be it an extremely long one, and enjoyed listening to some excellent bands, well done everyone, looking forward to next years contest (31st October I believe)!

Last edited:
After the disappointment of a poor result in the 4th Section Wem Jubilee were delighted with a 3rd place in the 3rd. I find the organisers and organisation of the Wychavon Festival first class and they deal with fast balls effectively (eg late change of venue for the 3rd Section). Mistakes do happen and I think they were far more embarrassed and upset about the false result than the band was. Please don't be, Wem knows these things happen and really appreciate what you do in organising a great contest. We are already looking forward to returning next year. Finally many congratulations to our friends at Ifton for their fine win in the 4th Section.

drummerdave

Pleased to learn that the Poynton band did well, thoroughly enjoyed their programme and there was some real quality playing.Nick Wilson

Many thanks for your kind comments .We all thoroughly enjoyed
playing it too!
Thanks also to Kevin Whittaker and his team for their hard work in organising a great event.

Last edited:
Well done to Wem Jubilee , after the mistake with the 4th section results where they were announced to have come 2nd, and then told there had been a mistake!! and actually had come 7th!!, :( went on to be placed 3rd in the 3rd section and also won best percussion in 3rd section....made up for the disappointment! :D

All in all a great day out ...all be it an extremely long one, and enjoyed listening to some excellent bands, well done everyone, looking forward to next years contest (31st October I believe)!

Thanks Bob--- we aim to please!!! WFB

Red Elvis

First time I've attended the Contest and very impressed with the organisation - minimal hanging about before playing , a speedy trip through registration and mightily impressed with the range of cask ales you had set up in the bar area !! Would have made more of a dent in those had the band curry not intervened !!