Wychavon Contest

Kiz7

As an aside, and not meant to cause any offence to anyone, my daughter and I heard 5 bands this afternoon. 1 from the Championship, 3 from the 1st and 1 from the 3rd section - namely, Sovereign, Shirley, Cinderford, Crewe and Drybrook. on the way home in the car I asked her who she would place where if they were all being judged against each other today and on what grounds.

She judged them on band sound, intonation, interpretation and programme choice and this is what she came up with:

1st Crewe
2nd Sovereign
3rd Shirley
4th Cinderford
5th Drybrook

and she would have given the solo prize to the Flugel player from Crewe.

Last edited:

super_sop

Supporting Member
Wow what an evening!!!!

well done to all participants in the third section, a cracking competition!!!
Just got in, and a little hyper!!!

well done to our percusion section and little Tom, on your best percusion prize!!!

Well done the band!!

and a big well done to Roger for getting us all ready!!

DanB

I Know Foresters Brass 2000 won the First section... which we're obviously delighted about! We move into a new bandroom this week, so it's a great start to a new chapter for us. Can be difficult to play last and hard to keep the energy / concentration up when you go on stage at 9pm, and we were particularly proud of some of our younger players who'd been on a NYBBGB course in Birmingham most of the day so must have been shattered.
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments / feedback we got! Particular nice to do so well when a) it's such a strong field and b) we've only been in the 1st section since the start of the year. Well done team!

Dago

I Know Foresters Brass 2000 won the First section... which we're obviously delighted about! We move into a new bandroom this week, so it's a great start to a new chapter for us. Can be difficult to play last and hard to keep the energy / concentration up when you go on stage at 9pm, and we were particularly proud of some of our younger players who'd been on a NYBBGB course in Birmingham most of the day so must have been shattered.
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments / feedback we got! Particular nice to do so well when a) it's such a strong field and b) we've only been in the 1st section since the start of the year. Well done team!

What was your programme?

Dago

GingerMaestro

Congrats to Pheonix and coventry. And to my band West Mercia It was a great contest to take part if not a great hall to play in.

Also well done to Wem Jubilee in the 3rd section, Cubbington in the fourth, Forresters 200 in the 1st and Pemberton in the Championship sections

A great day and lets hope it continues for many more years

DanB

Hi Dago,

We opened with Blenheim Flourishes, Curnow. Then into O My Beloved Father - we're fortunate enough to have an amazingly talented operatic singer in our percussion ranks, who did this as a soprano vocal solo. She was awesome. Then Howard Snell's arrangement of Anyone Can Whistle. Next up Mark Bentham's arrangement of SHow Me The Way To Go Home as bass trom solo, featuring myself, finishing off with Barbarian Horde from Gladiator.

I think what helped us was, having played in this venue before, we were conscious that a normal double forte would be too loud, so we really kept a lid on things. Learnt from our mistakes there last year!

Silver Horn

Congrats to Supa Sop

Well done Tim Hughes, Sop (Mid Rhondda Thomas Coaches) on winning the soloist prize in the 1st section!! Demelza woz awsum :clap: :clap:

CubbRep

Third section results go thus I believe

1. Wem
2. Blaenavon Town
3. Arrow Valley Brass
4. ?
5. Avonbank
Just to fill in 4th spot;Cubbington Silver.Not bad considering it was our 1st time the 3rd section.
CubbRep.
Midlands area 4th section Champions 2007.Wychaven 4th section Champions 2007.:tup :clap:

BandTaxi

Just to fill in 4th spot;Cubbington Silver.Not bad considering it was our 1st time the 3rd section.
CubbRep.
Midlands area 4th section Champions 2007.Wychaven 4th section Champions 2007.:tup :clap:

I was told that Drybrook came 7th which by process of elimination would put Audley 6th.

1. Wem Jubilee
2. Blaenavon
3. Arrow Valley
4. Cubbington
5. Avonbank
6. Audley
7. AW Parker, Drybrook.

Soloist - Cornet, Blaenavon
Percussion - Wem

Horco

Just heard

Championship Section

1st Pemberton Old Wigan JJB Band 196
2nd Jaguar (Coventry) Band 194
3rd Sovereign Brass 193
4th Cwmaman Institute Silver Band 191
5th
SWT Woodfalls Band 190
6th
Sherborne Town Band 189

ju33les wrote
'Just out of nosyness....
What did each band play?'

Pemberton Old Wigan (JJB) Band played the following:-

1. CARAVAN (S. SYKES) It was Duke Ellingtons signature tune.
2. MARCHING ONWARD (IVOR BOSANKO) A Salvation Army March.
3. I'LL WALK WITH GOD (GOFF RICHARDS) Made famous by Mario Lanza.
4. THE JOYFULL SKELETON (W.G. LEMON) A Xylophone solo.
5. SCHERZO FROM SYMPHONY No.10 by SHOSTAKOVICH (ANDREW DUNCAN)

CubbRep

Cubbington Silver played;
Raiders of the lost Ark
Born on the 4th of July
Concert March 1941
Superman

We played these in both 4th and 3rd sections.winning the 4th and coming 4th in the 3rd section.

CubbRep