Wrong attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessopSmythe

spookybiking said:
give me the same bike as you and you will get smoked.

At the risk of starting a flame war, this is exactly the kind of attitude that gives bikers a bad name and gets so many killed. If you want to race bikes, go to a track day. I work for one of the largest independent recovery operators in th UK and I can walk around our scrapyard and see piles (literally) of the remains of bikes. Nine times out of ten, they were trying to race each other when something went wrong.

JessopSmythe

Ever watched "Britains worst driver"? some of those people have been driving for 30 years and I still wouldn't trust them with a shopping trolley.

Experience counts for nothing if you don't learn from it.

it not us biker's fault its the other idiots on the road, we have to have eyes in the back of our head, cos we aint got a ton of metal around us.

super_sop

Supporting Member
spookybiking said:
it not us biker's fault its the other idiots on the road, we have to have eyes in the back of our head, cos we aint got a ton of metal around us.
oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear!!!
I think this is the sort of attiude that JessopSmythe was taling about.
It's never the bikers faul tis it! Weaving in and out, over taking at the wrong time, the list could go on.

Its not the car drivers taht are at fault a lot of the time, its the attuidude of the bike rider that kills himself.

ever heard of the saying speed kills!!!!!!!

BottyBurp

super_sop said:
Its not the car drivers taht are at fault a lot of the time, its the attuidude of the bike rider that kills himself.

ever heard of the saying speed kills!!!!!!!

As both a car driver and a bike rider, I have to disagree with this. In my experience, it is almost always the car drivers fault! Totally cocooned without any idea of what's going on on the road around them, listening to the radio, CD's, on the mobile etc...

Having said that, there are a few bikers that do ride like absolute pillocks which do give us all a bad name, but they are in the minority, whereas car drivers IMHO are generally all pretty bad - no indicating etc...

Speed in itself doesn't kill - it's the inappropriate use of speed that kills.

I very rarely observe the speed limit (both in my car and on my bike) except when it is sensible to do so i.e. in a built up area, near to schools etc.

BottyBurp

spookybiking said:
wots the point of owning a ferrari or a ducati 916 if u dont ride them to the potentiol catch my drift.

Surely the point of owning these machines is that you use them to their full potential when it's safe to do so?

You look fairly young to me, and at the risk of sounding patronising, it doesn't matter how long you've been riding, how experienced you are etc., there's always going to be some berk in a car (usually Wayne in his Nova with fat exhaust pipes) that will kill you. The band world needs it's young blood to keep banding alive! Stay with us! :wink:

lynchie

people who own supercars generally open them up a bit on track days. there's no way of getting the full potential out of a car on public roads anyway, and it definitely isn't safe to try. I used to be a nutter in a car, thinking it was fine to open it up a bit on country roads etc... until i put it in a ditch, realised i could have killed someone and counted the financial cost up... grow up before you hurt yourself or someone else!

JessopSmythe

It's less a question of knowing your limits than knowing the roads limits. You can't use a 916's full potential on a british road. However good you are, there's always the risk of a hedge cutter or a pile of cow **** waiting around the next bend. If you want to ride on the limit, go to a track day.

I agree with the posts above, 9 times out of 10 it's the car drivers fault. Won't that be nice to know? When you're going head first through the window of the pillock that just pulled out in front of you, you'll know it was his fault!

Stu, when you're a big boy, old enough to take your full test and buy a proper bike, you'll learn all this quick enough. I just hope for your sake you learn it the easy way.

lynchie

I have to agree with that. A friend of mine didn't feel any better when he smashed into the side of a car at 60 mph by knowing it was the fault of the car driver... he was a mess. It ain't a good look!

JessopSmythe

Before anyone (BMB :) ) throws my driving past back at me, I know, I used to drive like a prat and had some very near misses. What made me change? concious effort to improve my driving before I did something really stupid.

5 Years ago I took my bike test (after about 10 years of riding in all sorts of places I shouldn't have been)
2 Years ago I took a rally driving course (more about safe car control than actually racing)
Last year I passed my HGV Class 2 test
At the moment I'm in the middle of the approved Driving Instructors course.
Next year? haven't decided yet. Either an advanced test (car or bike) or class 1 HGV.
Anyone that's driven with me before and after this lot will agree that it's made a real difference.

BigHorn

Ha Ha,
You're sussed mate.
Ex - smokers
Born again Christians

Add to the list of holier than thou - the Advanced Motoring test driver.

Whilst I agree that bikers who treat the roads as their personal race track are complete morons, I think there is nothing sadder than a biker sitting patiently in a queue of traffic. The joy of biking is that you can overtake, get to the front of the queue, out accelerate the boy racer in his souped up Nova at the lights. But you can do all this legally and safely. The Carl Foggerty wannabe will get his come uppance sooner or later - it happens to every single one of them.

Stu, when you're a big boy, old enough to take your full test and buy a proper bike, you'll learn all this quick enough. I just hope for your sake you learn it the easy way.

lol aka you mr speedy, umm yeah, well ive came off once doing 75-80, and walk away, only wearing a hoody and jeans, cos some stupid car was in the wrong lane not indicators. but that was my learning.

Maestro

spookybiking said:
lol aka you mr speedy, umm yeah, well ive came off once doing 75-80, and walk away, only wearing a hoody and jeans, cos some stupid car was in the wrong lane not indicators. but that was my learning.

Don't you realise that you never stop learning?
I just hope that I never have to hear that you have stopped learning, by NOT walking away from the next one.

JessopSmythe

BigHorn said:
Whilst I agree that bikers who treat the roads as their personal race track are complete morons, I think there is nothing sadder than a biker sitting patiently in a queue of traffic. The joy of biking is that you can overtake, get to the front of the queue, out accelerate the boy racer in his souped up Nova at the lights. But you can do all this legally and safely. The Carl Foggerty wannabe will get his come uppance sooner or later - it happens to every single one of them.

My point exactly, Advanced driving / riding is not about becoming a boring old fart. It's about driving sensibly and safely and learning how, when and where you can let go a bit.
Incedentally, I never queue in traffic on the bike and, when I'm in the car or truck I always leave room for filtering bikes if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.