William Himes

leisa

has anyone tried the william Himes flugel-0horn concerto if so wht dya think i love it its great! :D

jd

Flug thing

Hi Leisa. Have tanked through it and it is brill.
Love William Himes in general and this under-played piece is one of his best.

See ya soon,

John. xxxx
:lol:

lynchie

Tenor-Steffen-DK said:
Nope, but Jubilance is a very good one aswell. Solo for cornet. You just have to hear it some times, and then it's really good!

I remember playing that with yb2k. It was a very interesting piece for a young bass trombone who'd only been banding for 6 months...

James McFadyen

His arr of Amazing Grace is stunning! I was going to arrange it, but compared to Mr Himes version, it would come second best, if even that.

The Household troops band recorded a CD of William Himes music. I expect that World of Brass will post the details soon.

Well worth a listen!

PeterBale

Staff member
BobRalston said:
The Household troops band recorded a CD of William Himes music. I expect that World of Brass will post the details soon.

Well worth a listen!

The cd - Himes (revisited) - is currently on offer at a special price from the Household Troops Band website:
http://www.51crescentroad.freeserve.co.uk/troops/recordings/himes.html

It doesn't include "Jubilance" or the "Concertino for Flugel Horn", but there are some other very fine compositions well played by the band.

leisa

Re: Flug thing

jd said:
Hi Leisa. Have tanked through it and it is brill.
Love William Himes in general and this under-played piece is one of his best.

See ya soon,

John. xxxx
:lol:

its brill i love it!! im gonna do it at my college concert hopefully but we have to decide on 2 mvemnts cos its too long to put in fully...but its too hard to choose! :? :shock:

Okiedokie of Oz

There are some gorgeous moments in his arrangment of Amazing Grace. Other arrangers try to emulate that, but never succeed. But I suppose imitation is the greatest form of flattery....

leisa

cornetgirl said:
Sounds good - where can I get a copy?

Rach x

mine came from just music i think...but it took ages to get here i was gonna do it for one of my auditions so i thought i was ordirin it in advance wen i ordered it about 7 weeks before :roll:

beard_4b

another good William Himes cornet solo is Caprice for Cornet which is very similar to Jubilance with a jazzy middle section and a bit of harmon mute work.

The solo is played by Carl Saunders on the Household troops band cd Hime (revisited)

Fern

Hi Does any one know when 'Concertino For Flugel Horn' was written?? just I am hoping to play it for a uni assessment and they like to know when it was written.
Fern x

PeterBale

Staff member
Hi Does any one know when 'Concertino For Flugel Horn' was written?? just I am hoping to play it for a uni assessment and they like to know when it was written.
Fern x

According to the preview for the 2010 RNCM Festival it was a 1992 commission from the River City Brass Band in Pittsburg.