Will the Scaba contest be running next year?

5010 Hn

BBCbari said:
I thought 1st and Champs are together?

Is it 3rd and 4th together then?

Theres normally a champ, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd section competitions.
However, champ section has been withdrawn (see above!).
No 4th section in SCABA, so they play up to 3rd section.
Bands are also allowed to enter the section ABOVE their National section ranking.
ie Becontree are nationally 1st Section, but can play in Champ section at SCABA.
YWD are nationally 2nd, but can play in 1st, etc.

Hope that helps! ;)

DublinBass

Supporting Member
Thanks for the clarification all...

Looking through the past few years, they have run Championship Section with as few as 3 entrants before, so if Friary, Beacontree and Regent were all entered (as Championship), why wouldn't they still run it?

Owen S

5010 Hn said:
Theres normally a champ, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd section competitions.
However, champ section has been withdrawn (see above!).
No 4th section in SCABA, so they play up to 3rd section.
Bands are also allowed to enter the section ABOVE their National section ranking.
ie Becontree are nationally 1st Section, but can play in Champ section at SCABA.
YWD are nationally 2nd, but can play in 1st, etc.

Hope that helps! ;)
It's not so much that SCABA just merges the 3rd and 4th sections, more that they have their own gradings. If you check the list of bands on the SCABA website, you see that the 3rd section is almost entirely 4th section nationally or bands that aren't actually registered nationally. Even some of the 2nd section aren't registered nationally. At the top, the SCABA Championship section is pretty small, and also includes half the first section bands in the area.

andywooler

Supporting Member
For some clarity on this, please refer to the Saca Rules and Conditions for Registration and Contesting which also available from the Scaba site:

http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk/crules.htm

I will also check with Scaba as despite being the Association webmaster, I have had no official statement on which sections are being run or merged. - Watch this space!

Finally, a bit of history on the grading used by Scaba - when the nationals added the first section a number of years ago, this would have been unworkable for many of the smaller associations - most of you know of the limited number of top section bands in the South. So, we maintained the 4 sections we had always had.

With my other hat on, I can confirm that Mid Sussex Brass wil be there in the 2nd section and my good friends over at LGB Brass are also planning on being there.

euphnut

Whatever the politics SCABA they did find one of the best places to play, namely Folkestone. The hall (from what I remember a few years ago) has a brilliant design and was a VERY nice accoustic to play in. (I will start another discussion on this if people don`t mind!!) I hope Folkestone continues!!:clap:

andywooler

Supporting Member
Quote from the Scaba Contest secretary:

" There were insufficient Championship Section entries, this year, for a viable contest, so that section has been deleted from the Spring Contest programme.

In total, there are 22 entries spread across the other four sections, which will run as usual.

We are looking forward to a lively and enjoyable contest, at Hove, on Sunday 24th April."

Laserbeam bass

andywooler said:
Quote from the Scaba Contest secretary:

" There were insufficient Championship Section entries, this year, for a viable contest, so that section has been deleted from the Spring Contest programme.

In total, there are 22 entries spread across the other four sections, which will run as usual.

We are looking forward to a lively and enjoyable contest, at Hove, on Sunday 24th April."

Thanks Andy. A better attendance than last year is anticipated.

I just hope that should my band be promoted into the top section that there will be sufficient numbers to ensure that we can continue contesting at Hove.