Wilkinson contest

rutribal

Heard that Timperley won top section, with Pemberton 2nd.Could be wrong though as it was rushed.

If not congrats to Timperley and big up everyone else at Pem, another result for the year.

onebandman

Yet another 2nd place for Bolly!!

It's not funny no more! Surely soon we'll go one better?!

It's a decent result really though, of course.

Last edited:

Seedhouse

Anyone know the Own Choice pieces in the Champ Section? :)

Congrats to Newstead and Lynden Cooper for Best Euph/ Soloist, and to Newstead Youth for their win in the 4th Section! :D

robcav

Anyone know the Own Choice pieces in the Champ Section? :)

Congrats to Newstead and Lynden Cooper for Best Euph/ Soloist, and to Newstead Youth for their win in the 4th Section! :D
As far as I can recall the following were played but I'm not sure by which bands

Carnival Romain
Connotations
Sounds
Partita
New Jerusalem
On Alderley Edge
Sinfonietta (Curnow)
Life Divine
Purcell Variations
Year of the Dragon (two bands played this, including us at Skelmanthorpe who came 3rd)

Quite a selection. Well done to Timperley and Pemberton.

FROM WHAT I CAN REMEMBER THE BANDS PLAYED

Carnival Romain (BLACKPOOL BRASS)
Connotations (BROUGHTON BRASS)
Sounds (UNITED CO-OP CREW)
Partita (PEMBERTON)
New Jerusalem (TIMPERLEY Best Sop)
On Alderley Edge (NEWSTEAD BRASS Best Euph and Soloist)
Sinfonietta (Curnow) (HASLINGDEN & HELMSHORE)
Life Divine (BLACKBURN & DARWEN)
Purcell Variations (SHEPHERDS GROUP)
Year of the Dragon (Skelmanthorpe who came 3rd AND LONGRIDGE)

Thanks to robcav and YorkshireBloke for your kind remarks also, its good to see this type of comment put forward.

George Fairhurst (Pemberton Old Wigan JJB Band)

Thanks to robcav and YorkshireBloke for your kind remarks also, its good to see this type of comment put forward.

George Fairhurst (Pemberton Old Wigan JJB Band)
You're welcome George. I think the result was spot on yesterday (even though I only heard you backstage). A good selection of pieces which makes it quite a fun contest, its a shame that there arn't more in the audience.

Despite some good moments, I felt that we didn't have our best day. In fact we were lucky that John Roberts made it through the piece after he stabbed himself in the hand with his baton at the end of the first movement! Pretty nasty it was, blood everywhere! They literally had to mop the stage after the performance, and a few players were wondering where the blood was coming from during the last movement as it got splattered onto their parts.

Is this a first??! Luckily JR was ok, well done to him for keeping going and for not passing out on us!!

Onwards to Butlins now on Gregson's Plantagenets.....we're going to have to wear goggles next time just in case....!

Paul
Skelmanthorpe