Why we all do it!

jambo

Cheers Dave, had to answer a call so loading the message took some time and well, impatience meant it got clicked twice ha ha. All sorted now...apart from the typos :D

IYOUNG

jambo said:
Nice lively topic here boys,

From what was a nice 'we've done a great gig and i'm chuffed' statement to this is quite amuzing

Quite,

We had a great weekend, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, played as well as I as MD could wish for. So as jambo says i'm well chuffed.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
^ Absolutely.

There are loads of bands that don't contest and many of them are very, very good. Just because a band chooses not to put itself through the agonies involved in competition does not mean it's not a good band.

Whether a band is good, bad, or otherwise, is not in question. What is, is how you compare a non-contesting band to competition standards when they don't compete.

To do so is to compare an apple with an orange. 2 different things. Competition perfomance is different to concert performance.

Competition performance for many is like sitting a test. Whether you know the answers or not, things change as soon as you get in to that environment. Most do far better whith less pressure, as is the case in "musical" (word added just for Dave P :)) performance.

To compare like for like, either the non-competing bands have to compete within the competition environment setup, or to judge a band to be better than another, some other form of competition where the playing field is level.

Anything else is a subjective point of view. There again, so is competition adjudication, but at least taken over a period of time everything SHOULD even out.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
The question "Why would you want to?" raises its head. What is the point? If non-contesting bands don't want to compete with you, why do you want to compare yourself to them in the first place?

Is this some kind of evangelism? "Ve Haf Vays off Making You Compete!"

:?: Is there a "final solution" to this, maybe? Have all the non-competitive bands lined up and shot? Put them all in large camps and play Vinter test pieces at them, with the ultimate punishment being Harrison Birtwistle?

mikelyons said:
The question "Why would you want to?" raises its head. What is the point? If non-contesting bands don't want to compete with you, why do you want to compare yourself to them in the first place?

Is this some kind of evangelism? "Ve Haf Vays off Making You Compete!"

:?: Is there a "final solution" to this, maybe? Have all the non-competitive bands lined up and shot? Put them all in large camps and play Vinter test pieces at them, with the ultimate punishment being Harrison Birtwistle?

I don't want to compare, but it was raised because comparisons were made that a non-contesting band was at a particular competition standard. This I have been trying to show should not be done.

IYOUNG

Neither do I want to compare, I don't feel the need, I am happy with what I do and acheive.

In my original post I merely tried to point out our percieved standard at MTB so you could gauge that the weekend was a big event for us and we played extremely well, whether it is better or worse than anyone else matters not one jot to me, all 27 players loved it, our audience loved it and I was chuffed at it and thats all that matters. We acheived more from the weekend than I could have hoped and perhaps David you could be pleased for us. If more compliments were made the world would be a better place.

Then the post was made that in David Pegram's experience ''most non contesting bands were of a poor standard'' leaving aside the confusion of what was meant by that i'm not certain it matters to much after what I have just said (more negativeness).

In response I went on to give you an idea of what I perceive the band I play in standard is, as contesting tables seem to be the be the only way some of us judge these things this again was the only way I felt I could do this, with all my experience I think I am able to judge but it was only a generalisation and of course David you are right until we did contest we would never know, but as we don't and never will you will have to accept that view although i'm not sure wht your so fussed, maybe its a competitve thing you have?

If you don't want to compare then why all the fuss? You play in your contests and be judged against the others that do, that will allow you if you win to say we were the best section x band that day of those that competed in that one mans opinion.
I will conduct and play in non contesting bands and make my own conclusions.

Over the years I have learnt that making comments about bands standards is purely subjective, perhaps if we just all got on and enjoyed each others music things might be better.

critic

Wh do we all do it

It does not matter at what level you play at the first thing is to enjoy it. The more you play as a unit the better the standard becomes. Music is a great way to relax and if you reach the highest standards great if not just enjoy it for what it is.

Dave Payn

Re: Wh do we all do it

critic said:
It does not matter at what level you play at the first thing is to enjoy it. The more you play as a unit the better the standard becomes. Music is a great way to relax and if you reach the highest standards great if not just enjoy it for what it is.

That's more like it. Thank you for putting this is context better than I attempted to do over several posts, Critic! ;-)

Product tMP members are discussing