Why swing music?

HBB

Borfeo said:
Anyways, the one arranger I'm amazed has been omitted is Mark Freeh, I can't get enough of his work, he sticks so close to the original scorings, and can really make a band tick with his writing, a beautiful arranger.

Have you seen the horn part for Malleguena!!!!!!!

That's just evil.

Borfeo

Yeah, I've seen the horn parts for Malaguena, but being a trombone player, I'd say it's all part of your job, get those fingers working. Plus it's an absolutely brilliant arrangement, can't get enough of it. Nor his "April in Paris" flugel solo or his Frankly Speaking, he knows how to do it alright.

Brian Bowen

Brass bands are expected to appeal to a very broad base of listeners. The purists may object to classical arrangements, and the jazz aficionados may carp about the unidiomatic realization of swing. What does the average audience expect? Methinks they are content to listen to a band of amateurs doing their best to bring pleasure. It seems unrealistic to expect bands to be expert in all musical styles; after all, would a professional (symphony) orchestra or jazz band make such a claim? Inevitably, some bands can't play swing, and should steer clear, while others will get close (if not exactly) enough to get away with it - and no harm done. But caution is required when broadcasting or recording. It behoves bands to play to their strengths: the wise conductor will familiarize themself with the make-up of the audience and choose material accordingly.

Isn't it wonderful that there is a wide repertoire, from light music to serious (test) pieces, specially written for brass bands? It contributes so much to the brass band culture.

Turning the thread on its head: For a while I conducted a "British" brass band in New Jersey that was comprised of many competent jazzers. The problem there was getting them to play the standard band repertoire idiomatically (i.e. straight). Very frustratiing!

Okiedokie of Oz

Brian Bowen said:
Turning the thread on its head: For a while I conducted a "British" brass band in New Jersey that was comprised of many competent jazzers. The problem there was getting them to play the standard band repertoire idiomatically (i.e. straight). Very frustratiing!

I had a music teacher like that. Back in high school. A brilliant jazz trumpeter, but couldn't play a straight note to save himself. Made aural exams such a pain in the red rump steak!!!!

Accidental

Supporting Member
homocidalbennyboy said:

That's just evil.

Piece of cake - you just have to learn it so you don't need to actually read the dots as they fly past, and whatever you do.........DON'T WATCH THE CONDUCTOR!! :lol:

GJG

Accidental said:
homocidalbennyboy said:

That's just evil.

Piece of cake - you just have to learn it so you don't need to actually read the dots as they fly past, and whatever you do.........DON'T WATCH THE CONDUCTOR!! :lol:

Wearing my conductor's hat - I second that!

G.

I think the swing/ big band style is easier to do if you learn it early enough. For example, Alan Fernies' arrangement of 'Anything Goes' for some reason was played in better style by a youth band than when taken to a (at that time) 3rd section band full of older players. Perhaps the kids' just played what they were told without years of training.

Another thing that occurs is that the jazz style was performed by self-taught musicians. Try playing it without tongueing, it still works. Now try it with Honest Toil!

I personally think that you can play too many big band pieces in a concert. Some bands even play half-an-hour of 'big band set'. Beware, what is interesting for the player can bore the pants off an audience. (I heard the complaints).

bagpuss

Accidental said:
and whatever you do.........DON'T WATCH THE CONDUCTOR!! :lol:

No danger of that. Conductor flapping arms provides ventilation. I thought that's what they were for anyway!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Mr Thorne!!!

Puss