Why SOLO cornet?

Big Twigge

Just a quick question.....

Why is the solo cornet part called solo cornet when generally there are 4 people playing it?

Does anybody actually know or have any theories?
(am not overly worried about knowing, I'm just bored and thinking)

At least there is a printed part called Solo Cornet.
I'd like to lob another one in here and ask what a 'Solo Baritone' or 'Solo Trombone' is.
I don't ever see those listed in a score!

Straightmute

My guess would be that it was originally just one player, the others being classified as 'ripieno', roughly translated as 'those providing reinforcement'.

But cornet players being what they (sorry, we) are, everyone wanted to be soloist....and ripieno became corrupted to repiano.

D

James McFadyen

Personally, in my score I adopt the principle of naming trombone like I do my horns:

Solo Horn
1st Horn
2nd Horn

Therfore to keep in line with this naming convention I use:

Solo Trombone
1st Trombone
Bass Trombone

Personally I don't think at matters too much so long as the score and parts have the exact same naming convention.

Does ripeno originate from the Concerto Grosso and not from the brass band? Mind u, in that case, the ripeno should have been changed to the Concertino! ;) ;)

Dave Payn

Straightmute said:
My guess would be that it was originally just one player, the others being classified as 'ripieno', roughly translated as 'those providing reinforcement'.

But cornet players being what they (sorry, we) are, everyone wanted to be soloist....and ripieno became corrupted to repiano.

D

I'd just like to protest in the strongest possible terms about the recent contribution by straighmute to the 'Why SOLO cornet' debate. I have a number of friends who play or have played repiano and only a few of them have ever been corrupted.

Yours, in a white wine sauce etc. etc.

;-)

flugelgal

I think it's so that the cornet players are happy sharing a part - calling it Solo Cornet makes it sound better so that they think it's a good thing... 8)

(There's only ONE flugel :wink: )

Kirsty

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
flugelgal said:

That's only because you can't get ONE flugel to play in tune let alone two! :shock: :wink:

*Runs and hides from all the other Flugel players on this forum*

BigHorn

This is probabaly so the music publishers can put all the front row's cornet parts on one sheet of music, meaning less type setting and more profit.

lynchie

it's because cornet players are lazy and so need to share out the hard stuff :wink:

...memories of being told "no I can't help you with that timp, i've got to carry my cornet AND mutes...

Brian Bowen

BigHorn said:
This is probabaly so the music publishers can put all the front row's cornet parts on one sheet of music, meaning less type setting and more profit.
Hardly! At least Ripiano and Flugel no longer have to share the same music as in earlier days. Now there was a case of cutting costs.

brasscrest

BigHorn said:

Could be true, although it can take more time to lay out a part with divisi parts than one with a single-line part, particularly if you're going to have to engrave it before you can print it.

I've always believed that the origin of the term was originally a synonym for "principal", meaning the top chair of the section. As band music got more sophiticated, the use of split parts increased. Composers just don't seem to be able to work within limits, sometimes :)

flugelgal

WoodenFlugel said:
That's only because you can't get ONE flugel to play in tune let alone two! :shock: :wink:

I see I'm going to have to instill the "Flugel Mantra" into you...

"The Flugel is always right, The Flugel is always right, The Flugel is always right..." :wink:

jameshowell

WoodenFlugel said:
flugelgal said:

You'd better! :hammer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
jameshowell said:
WoodenFlugel said:
flugelgal said:

You'd better! :hammer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was of course speaking from PERSONAL experiance :p :shock:

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Anyway....back on topic, I always assumed that they were called solo cornets just because they played the tune, or solo line more often than not. :dunno

But then I may be a musical numpty. :roll:

brasscrest

WoodenFlugel said:
Anyway....back on topic, I always assumed that they were called solo cornets just because they played the tune, or solo line more often than not. :dunno

But then I may be a musical numpty. :roll:

That doesn't explain "solo horn" or "solo euphonium", which are also used on some parts. But those could be a copy of "solo cornet", I guess.

PeterBale

Staff member
In the military band world, particularly with older arrangements, it is quite common for the clarinet parts to be labelled as "Solo, ripieno, 2nd & 3rd".

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.