Why do we do it all ?

Why do you do it ?

• My mommy made me join

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
At college, I put up with all the jazz musicians telling us how much money they can make from gigs, how they are going to become great stars etc... but then they look at us and dont get it - why ? We make feck all, why do we bother ?

I do it for the chicks, but I haven't found any yet. Whats your story ?

Valvecap

Believe me - i have asked myself that more than once recently... but at the end of the day, i am a musician, i enjoy entertaining people, i enjoy the rivalry of banding, and i have met my other (but perhaps not better) half (oh im dead now) through banding - i have more mates in more places through banding than any of my jazz band mates.

Someone once commented to me that people who play instruments are all on an ego trip to a greater or lesser extent - and when i think about it, he may be right... Still trying to decide... he said "i play solos to people to entertain - but also to prove i can... i enjoy it, but i enjoy it cos people applaud the band (and indirectly, me)..."

Comments???

blondie

I can only echo Valvecap, we do it because we love it!!!! What people also don't realise is that the people we associate with in bands become like an extended familly, and you do things together other than rehearse, and they tend to be people that you want to spend your 'free-time' with because you bond so well.!!!

If you get paid for a gig, then that is just a bonus :!:

Valvecap said:
he said "i play solos to people to entertain - but also to prove i can... i enjoy it, but i enjoy it cos people applaud the band (and indirectly, me)..."

I'd like to vote for a few of the options given in the poll.

It is about entertaining and there's no better feeling than giving a good concert or the buzz of a good performance given at a contest (however short lived this may be).

I think the quote above is interesting. The best soloists are on a bit of an ego trip to prove how good they are (however humble they appear) and that this is in fact needed in order to be a good (or should that be great) soloist. (This should trigger some debate!!! :p )

amgray

Mike Saville wrote...

The best soloists are on a bit of an ego trip to prove how good they are (however humble they appear) and that this is in fact needed in order to be a good (or should that be great) soloist

For sure!!
Can you imagine putting your musical cojones on the line in front of your peers whilst having "Raging Self Doubt"?
After music college you should definately be able to relate to this.

Heather

We do it because we love it!!..well most of the time!
Its so hard trying to explain to people alien to brass bands just what its all about and about the 'buzz'.
Most people still think of brass bands as a bunch of old cronies who sit in a bandstand or march along the street.
Oh, if only they knew the truth!!!!!!!!

Euph-Bari

Heather said:
We do it because we love it!!..well most of the time!
Its so hard trying to explain to people alien to brass bands just what its all about and about the 'buzz'.
Most people still think of brass bands as a bunch of old cronies who sit in a bandstand or march along the street.
Oh, if only they knew the truth!!!!!!!!

yeah my mate at collage thaught like that - load of old people plain the hovis advert on a bandstand

he asked to listen to some (so he could take the mick no doubt) - his opinion changed :wink:

Big Twigge

how many other situations do you get when people of all ages can mix without it being an issue? I also find it interesting that people who can be very timid and lack confidence in a social situation are not scared of standing up in front of loads of people to do a solo!
its just a bit different from doing nothing!

Naomi McFadyen

I love it... If I could marry it I would.
Band life is full of excitement and fun... I've met so many fantastic musicians and famous people associated with banding! and it's given me lots of new challenges and many new career directions for me to head towards... It's also improved me as a player, which is the biggest achievement for all I think...

It's now a thing in my life which I know that if I didn't have it, I don't know what I'd be doing with myself... I certainly wouldn't be at university.

It's just ashame that band politics and so on can interfere and spoil a perfectly great world that we live in...

Oh yea... and there's some pretty fine looking lads out there too! lol!

Cornishwomble

I don't think of it as a hobby but rather a way of life.
I always think that bandspeople are the most friendliest and welcoming set of people you can meet, and it's amazing how diverse the lifestyles of the members of a band can be, yet in the main they still mix well.

I'm in the Royal Navy and when I've patrolled around the UK on fishery protection I've always taken my cornet with me. Whenever I knew I was going to visit a certain port, I've always made contact with its local band and gone for a blow.

Whenever you go to a strange place and you go to a band, you immediately gain 30+ new friends, I don't think many other hobbies can offer that (apart from swinging!)

Jo Elson

I can only echo Valvecap, we do it because we love it!!!! What people also don't realise is that the people we associate with in bands become like an extended familly, and you do things together other than rehearse, and they tend to be people that you want to spend your 'free-time' with because you bond so well.!!!

I definately agree. You meet so many different people and go on many enjoyable outings through banding and just as friends within the band. It is a great atmosphere and has given me some of my best memories.

groovy

What can I say....you make a whole bunch of new friends, have the oppurtunity to travel all over the world and become a better player. 8)

It amazes me why everyone isn't into banding, cos its brilliant! :D :D

I know what puts off a lot more able players - the excessive rehearsal of one piece of music. In a lot of other music making you see the piece during an afternoon rehearsal and then do the performance in the evening. But in brass bands you have to rehearse a piece to death before you can even consider playing it :evil:

This is an immense frustration to myself as I can sight read most stuff first time - I try to use the otherwise wasted (for me, I appreciate others may need this) rehearsal time to concentrate on technique - one night I might focus on tonguing, another on diaphragm support etc.

I sometimes wonder why I came back to banding after 20yrs !!!!!

I now know why, after reading all the above comments the're all true its a bug, a way of life. The chance to socialize with like minded people, who enjoy making music come alive for, yes the oldies at park jobs, but I have seen the young ones looking on in awe at what we are doing as a team.They are our future.

I only wish now that I never stopped playing 20yrs ago.

Re above unfortunatly I'm not a natural sight reader so It takes time for me to sort my life out with music, but like the old British Rail I get there eventually. I just wish I'd continued playing when I left school.

And to Mr Ron Thompson (ex Ever Ready) my old maths teacher, thank you for teaching me the delights of Brass Banding.

MoominDave

Mike Saville said:
This is an immense frustration to myself as I can sight read most stuff first time - I try to use the otherwise wasted (for me, I appreciate others may need this) rehearsal time to concentrate on technique - one night I might focus on tonguing, another on diaphragm support etc.

Here's a good one on the multiple trigger BT - no repeat positions in a phrase. It cracks the 2nd player up (well, ours anyway) if you play say several repeated middle concert Fs in the middle of some nasty cheese thus:

1, 6, T1, t2, T5, t6, Tt2, Tt5

Tricky on the tuning!

Dave

PeterBale

Staff member
MoominDave said:
Mike Saville said:
Here's a good one on the multiple trigger BT - no repeat positions in a phrase.

I often do the same thing with alternative fingerings, which can sometimes catch the Bandmaster out if he happens to look across to see me playing, for example, third line B on what appears to be open, not noticing the 4th valve is being used :!: :lol: :lol:

markyboy

I joined my first band way way back in 1974 and if it all ended tomorrow the memories and experiences I have of banding are just fantastic. I admit its not always been
plain sailing but I wouldn't
swap it for anything.I play for a band that are hopefully on the verge of breaking into the big league
I know thats what our MD intends to achieve next contest season. By then I think I will be hanging on by my fingernails but as long as I can do a half decent job I'll play as long as I can.About four years ago I reached a crossroads in banding and I was so close to never playing again but I am really glad I didnt
give up playing as the last 3 years have been the most successful personaly and for the band I play for.Over the last few weeks I have bumped into a few mates who havent
played for sometime but have now got back into banding which has been great to see.

The thing about playing a brass instrument is that it takes a long time to learn and get to a decent standard
and its a shame when it all
goes to waste when people pack in. I dont know about anyone else but I feel the
whole movement is on the up
especially in Yorkshire
where new bands are emerging
(like Pennine) and bands who
disbanded for a few years (like Rockigham and Grange Moor) have re appeared. Most band are doing pretty well for players and lots of bands are starting junior bands.Hade Edge have over 50
players in their organisation now but a few years ago they were struggling just a bit.

Hope everyone is enjoying
their banding just as much as me!
Best regards to all
Mark Wears Pennine Brass