Why did u start playing?

trombelle

apologies if this has been discussed already!

i was just wondering how/why everyone started playing brass instruments?

my dad started at school where he was told he didn't have to go to his detention if he went to band practice instead!

me and my bro started when my dad restarted (after a few years break) with a new band. they loaned him a selection of instruments (inc 2 troms, euph and a cornet). neway he got back form the first rehersal at about 11pm, got us out of bed and said "blow these". i got a sound out of the trombone and my bro got one form the cornet. the rest, as they say, is history!

over to you :)

Big Twigge

I saw a poster in Wem library advertising the junior band, it seemed more interesting that the recorder so I joined.
A few months later little sister joined and became much better than me :evil:

sparkling_quavers

I started playing as a couple of my friends in primary school were involved in the local training band. I wanted to do it because they were! It was convienient too as the bandroom was 100 yrds from where my parents lived.

ScrapingtheBottom

The LEA came round and dished out a load of instruments when I was 7 and I got a cornet. At 13 I saw the light and switched to trombone.

I think brass instruments are attractive to little kids because it gives them a chance to (legitimately) blow a raspberry at their teacher.

Steve

I started cos I couldnt stand my English teacher and needed to avoid her lessons. Took up drums but they moved my English lesson after a year so i had to take up brass instead. No way was i carrying the BBb bass with no case so a Euphonium ut was. Never looked back :)

Cornishwomble

Our Neighbour's daughter played for the village band (Lanner & District) and her Dad convinced my Dad that it would be a good hobby for me to take up!
Problem was that practice was on a Saturday morning so I missed playing football with my mates. I told my Dad after a few months that I didn't want to do it any more but he wouldn't let me give up.
I really hated him for it at the time but after finally getting into the youth band and then on to the senior band I'm so glad he didn't let me get my way

My Dad started playing when I was about 3 or 4. I tagged along a few times, and wound up with the junior band when i was 5. Best thing I ever did!

Roy Taylor said:
Our Neighbour's daughter played for the village band (Lanner & District) and her Dad convinced my Dad that it would be a good hobby for me to take up!

It wasn't the fact that you fancied her then :lol:

BoozyBTrom

I started at School there was a big assembly and the Head introduced Goeff Merkin ( Former Dodworth Solo Euph ). The head said that he would be teaching kids how to play brass instruments and if anyone was interested go to the the music room on Friday afternoon.

My devious little brain worked out that Friday afternoon was maths. MMM Maths or prat around on a trumpet. I knew what I wanted to do.

I turned up late as usual and all that was left was a battered trombone. And that was that.

Cornishwomble

You can draw your own conclusions.....
However there were eyebrows raised when I tried to join the girl guides!!

We also both came second in the Lanner Gala week dressed as Wurzel Gummidge and Aunt Sally!

I'm saying nothing!

Big Fella

A notice went up at school saying they were trying to re-form the school band, went along, found out that I missed French lesson's, and was handed an Eb Bass..
Everything has been hunky Dooray since, apart from having to buy cars with big boots..

The Cornet King

I started at Junior school...when they asked who fancied playing the trumpet i just thought it would be a good idea so went for it. Neither of my parents had ever played an instrument so i broke away from family tradition. :p

Moved onto cornet at Secondary school...best thing i ever put my hand up for! :D

:wink:

Naomi McFadyen

I'd always been surrounded by music when I was little (aged c.3) because my dad played piano/keyboard... both myself and my brother messed about on those... as well as mum playing guitar... and my parents always got us those fun musical instruments when I was that age...

Then when we moved to Plymouth when I was 6, my dad asked my brother if he wanted piano lessons after seeing an ad in the newspaper... I also jumped at this opportunity!
Then I just wanted to learn more and more instruments when I was getting older... experimented with my own composing when I was 8, writing silly songs and stuff...
I then got onto trance/electronic/dance/pop music in my mid-teens... and on top of that now: brass/windband, orchestra, piano and other random ensembles...

Dunno why I did it really... but I'm glad I did... It's the only thing I seem to be good at... other subjects go straight over my head... :)

yorkie19

My dad was a late starter, with the Leicester Imperial band. When he moved to London, he joined the Crystal Palace band and started up a youth band (SW16 Youth Brass Band!). I started on sop. I could hardly play a note so he moved me onto Bb cornet. It was downhill (literally) from there, through Baritone and Euph, via the bass section, to percussion. I realised at that point that I'd gone too far and that the bass section really was the best place to be!

Sam

(Duplicate post removed, PB, Mod)

PeterBale

Staff member
My dad was MD of the then Coventry Festival Band and there was a spare tenor horn in the school music cupboard. I asked if I could take it home, went along to practice (I already knew the theory of the valves from when my sister played trumpet) and was on the bandstand in Wolverhampton with them that weekend!

brasscrest

Doomed from the start. My dad was a professional musician with an SA background. Both my parents played in the local SA bands (dad on euph, mom on trombone). The earliest I can remember playing was in 1971 (8 yrs old) at a summer music camp where dad was the guest. Our SA corps had a very strong brass program at the time. My instructor was Campbell Robinson, who was the bandmaster of the National Capital Band and formerly a member of the ISB. Broke into the senior band on second cornet when I was 11, then switched to baritone. Broke into the National Capital Band on second baritone when I was 13. Managed to move up one chair in 27 years since then, so I guess I've hit my limit.

I wanted to play the Clarinet originally but my seconday school ran out of those and only had a Cornet left - so I gave that a go. I gave up shortly after that through lack of support and encouragement.

I then moved to Wem to live with foster parents and they wanted to be really pro-active in integrating me into the community - so I joined Wem Juniors (and both Twigletts were there then, Elin was about 8!

i wanted to play clarinet after going to a concert but couldn't get a clrinet teacher/instrument so i was told to go to our local band and i was given a horn but i soon moved onto cornet coz i thought they got more tune!!

one of my mum's 'coffee club' friends or something had a load of offspring that played in the local band and was recommended to the mother. got a cornet and thought it was ok.
consequently, i have wasted my school-life by losing muchos interest, failing or borderlining my exams etc. and now just parping tuba with hope that i might be able to make a career of it :?

We were offered the chance at junior school to learn brass instead of recorder...seemed like a better option

Once in the system, the LEA encouraged us into Sandwell training bands, then the Youth band. Friends there told about Langley Junior Band (1983 - happy days ahhhh......:))

First move into adult bands was 1985 with West Bromwich Band after Bryan Hurdley took a Youth Band rehearsal. from then on twas the twilight world of brass and booze :guiness