Why did u start playing?

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
My big brother brought a cornet home from school, and had been playing for a while. I used to have the occasional parp at family gatherings, and was encouraged to take it up properly by a trumpet playing school teacher. I guess I just wanted to be like my brother!

After dabbling with a marching band for 6 months *shudder* I joined the Ancient Order of Foresters junior band. The rest is ancient history, but it only seems like a few years ago!

I can honestly say, dispite some major heartache over the years I have never regretted taking it up.

lynchie

some woman came to our school and stood at the front of assembly and started blowing rasberries at everyone and none of the teachers seemed to mind... seemed like a good idea at the time anyway...

andyp

According to my mother, I saw a band marching in the Leyland Festival procession (may even have been Leyland Band as they were then) and told her afterwards (aged 6) that I wanted to play the trumpet. As luck would have it our next door but one neighbour was solo Euph at Eccleston, and brought a cornet home for me....and 27 years later I'm still going. I even met my wife at band!

iggmeister

When I was 7, to keep me and my bro out of trouble my Dad gave us an ultimatum. We could either join the band, go to sunday school or join the cubs. Band won.

Also, my Dad brought home a cornet for my brother to try but Dad realised he didn't have the talent and therefore my bro became a percussionist instead. True story.

Igg

drummergurl

my dad had been playing cornet since he was 10 and my mum for a long time. for ages before i was born my parents had been playing in brass bands so me and my bro came along to all their rehearsals since we were born (well some of em anyway) i always took a shine to the percussion section and alwayz wanted a toy drum kit (the kiddies ones you see in the argos catalogues!) for xmas, and never got one, but when i didnt give up, mum got the drummer at church to give me some lessons, (he was very nice!!) and pretty much the rest is history!

Okiedokie of Oz

Mum was a pianist who'd played trombone and eupho for a bit, while at school. She became a piano and theory teacher, so I grew up listening to music. the way Mum tells the story, I used to have a marvellous ear as a child and used to run around the house inging (pitch perfect) and drawing a melodic contour on the walls in crayon.

In grade 2 (1988), I signed up to learn violin. Two weeks later, I was out on my arse. The teacher, a friend of Mum's, said I would be better suited to brass. Mum tried to teach me piano, and even sent me to a friend to teach me organ, while mum taught her daughter theory. Neither lasted.

In grade 5, I wanted to learn trombone. By then, Mum and Dad had cottoned on the concept of "fads." They refused to buy me a trombone, but mum pulled out her old eupho. In grade 7, I switched to baritone (a better instrument than the ceap eupho Mum had, then to bass (damn teacher set me up!!). In high school, trumpet and trombone added to the list. By then I knew what I wanted to do...

PLAY LOTS OF BRASS INSTRUMENTS!!!!!!!! :D

Brad J

I've got a lot of relatives involved in brass banding, especially when I was a kid, so when the opportunity came up during primary school to play I couldn't resist.

I joined the local Brass Band a few years later, and later switched from Cornet to Baritone to fix some bad habits. Now I'm on Eupho :D

sudcornet

Round about 1968 (age 5) my primary school teacher (Mrs King, God bless her) somehow got the notion that I may have an ear for music. I was presented with a wooden thing with 4 strings and a stick with hairs on to scratch across it. For about 3 years I scratched it until it was announced in assembly that there would be no more lessons as the teacher had droppped dead of a heart attack on York station.
As I was obviously going to be no great loss to the string world, mum asked if I wanted to try the brass band. " Might as well" says I, and was presented with a sinister black box that opened at the top. Inside was a silver machine, the like of which I've been annoying everyone with ever since.

Sud.

I had been playing the recorder since I was about 4 and was bored of it. I wanted to do something that was still musical so I joined the local brass band. Just progressed from there really :D

MartinT

It was MoominDave's fault for not wanting to do his Grade 1 Piano exam! He wanted to play one of those nice shiny things (euph) instead and before I knew it I got dragged in on Eb Bass.
Anyone from Wantage will know who did the dragging :wink:

Trigger

I first picked up a cornet when I was about four or five, because my whole family played. They took me along for a lesson and the second I saw the Arban I freaked out, :shock: because it was the biggest book that I have ever seen (at that point). I was so scared by this that I didn't go back again and I took up tap dancing instead. I didn't start learning properly until I was nine. The reason I took it up again, was because I so badly wanted to play and I couldn't bare to be left out- it just took me until I was nine to get over my ordeal from when I was five and stop being a chicken!! :lol:

TIMBONE

downhill from there!

My childhood was surrounded by music, I played piano by ear, (I was sent for lessons when I was 8, but I was too lazy). When I was 10, I persuaded my Dad to buy me a 'Gigster Snare Drum (with modern 3" shell) and a 10" 'bop' cymbal' - (mail order from the News of the World). Having said that, 43 years later, as solo trombone with Flixton Band, I volunteered to go onto Bb Bass - AND THEY TOOK ME SERIOUSLY.

Di

When I was at high school, I played the clarinet (following the violin at primary school - that was a change my mum was pleased with :lol: ). One Christmas, when I was about 15 my folks invited some friends round for a Crimbo drinky and said "tell your Alan to bring his cornet and "tell your Julie to bring her flute and they can all play us some carols" :? Well, us kids all went out to the bedroom to decide what to play and just ended up swapping instruments and messing around. After 10 minutes, I had got the "C" scale under my fingers and was coerced into going to join a group of learners with Alan's band. Joined the band within a few weeks and moved swiftly on to first baritone and played for about 20 years before handing banding over to the kids.

Vickitorious

When i was about 8/9, I was asked to play the 8 bars of glock solo in Main Street, I did that and got used to going down to the rehearsals and decided that wanted to try playing a horn. I entered my first contest after 6 weeks and came 3rd, I think this was what really got me playing, I might have given up if I didnt win this prize. But, I carried on, and here I am today, 4 years later, doing it nearly every day of the week, the most important part of my life at the min. I started off playin for Croft Silver, and played there for a couple of weeks and then moved to a youth band to be with other kids. And now, I play 1st horn for Hathern and NYBB. I'm definately glad that I took it up, and carried on. :D :D

akwarose

my dad always played in the band, so i always went to concerts n stuff, then my bro joined and had fun, and i decided to have a piece of the action, and took up flugel. my bro gave up,, and im still goin, 8 years l8a. xcept i got put on cornet wen i joined the senior band, coz they already had a flugel. so, here i am 3rd cornet.
cornets rock!

When my eldest sister was 12 she got to start on flute in the junior high beginner band. I was 8 or 9 at the time...and although my sisters could outdo me on most things...I would NOT be outdone on noisemaking. :twisted: So trumpet was the obvious choice.

I wasn't supposed to start until junior high...but after sufficient sulking and pouting my parents finally gave in and bought me a King Cleveland 600.

It took at least a quarter century more for me to finally stagger into the wonderful world of cornet and banding (perhaps Mr. Backrowbloke summed up the fringe benefits best: :guiness ).

I started playing when I was 15, I saw my music teacher practicing, who played for fodens at the time and was completely amazed. I thought how hard can that be, only 3 buttons!! saved my pocket money for months then rented a trumpet from my local music shop. a year later I saw the error of my ways and got a cornet. never looked back since!!!
although I soon realized that 3 valves didn't make it an easy instrument!!!!
:)

NeilW

I'd been taught (or pushed towards) piano from an early age but hadn't really got on with it...

When I first went to (boarding) secondary school, there was a concert (by the Mid-Hants Schools Band) in the hall, and I went to watch - anything to break the monotony of long winter evenings!

A guy called Ian Dunbar played "Watching the Wheat" as a Euph solo. I decided I liked the sound of the Euph and started group lessons at the beginning of the next term...

A few years later, I was playing the solos myself, but I've never played "Watching the wheat"!

Neil.

Moy

Hope none of my pupils read this.
A note came round our school asking if anyone was interested in learning to play brass instrument they had to go to the music department at a set time.......can't remember the exact time ..too long ago.
Anyway it meant I could get a skive out of FRENCH which I hated.......honest that was my reason and some 40 or so years later I am still playing. :wink:

jameshowell

Moy said:
Hope none of my pupils read this.
A note came round our school asking if anyone was interested in learning to play brass instrument they had to go to the music department at a set time.......can't remember the exact time ..too long ago.
Anyway it meant I could get a skive out of FRENCH which I hated.......honest that was my reason and some 40 or so years later I am still playing.

Well I suppose it's just a testament to the influence being a brass player can have on someone! :lol:

Product tMP members are discussing