Who's going to win the Whitburn Contest??

YPLMO

Might as well start the ball rolling.

Will Kinneil make it a hat trick?? Will Scottish Co-op stroll to victory or will the winner come from Newtongrange or Carriden or Broxburn??

No-one has done the hat trick, could this be a first?

Borfeo

As much as it pains me to say this, I have a feeling it will be the Co's day, although Kinneil will probably push them hard. after that it'll be a struggle between ourselves Nitten and Bo'ness, I'd like to see us taking another third place but it will be hard, still in a bit of transition, lot of new faces and a new MD.

Good luck to all TMPers though!!

Moy

Just going to enjoy playing and meet up with old pals.
If we get a good result then thats a bonus........team building at the moment and Jamesie is doing a great job with us.
Have just moved onto solo horn and loving it to bits.......cya all on Saturday. :roll: :wink:

Cat amongst the pigeons time. I think that Kinneil may closely edge it from the Co. Nothing to do with quality just feel that the Co have so much on their plates with the nationals, spennymoor, Scottish Open and Whitburn that this may just pass them by. Newtongrange could be up there as well and don't discount Johnstone who always put up a lively show in entertainments competitions.

Speaking of which, in Scotland the only test piece contest now is the Scottish Area. When do bands in Scotland get to play real test pieces?? I see an opening for a good old traditional test piece cotest - anyone going to take this forward?

Borfeo

It's a very simple answer......I'm playing against you :?

Nothing malicious, just I like to win, I don't get to do it a lot these days.

Still, I'll be in listening to you guys, as long as you promise Charlie won't blow the roof off the school :twisted:

Moy

floral_dance said:
must say you look very smart in your uniform Moira. will look out for you Saturday and say hello if I recognise you. :?

Don't think I'll recognise you from your photo though :wink:

Wutburn

Awrite troops! Just to say that i dinnae know every bond gawn but i hink the so will win it. Tap three will probably be co, kinniel and nitton in nae particular order. C yeez efter (Saturday) Cannae believe im no on the bar! Pish! :dunno :evil:

Normans

Hi Lorna

The results so far as I can remember

1) Kinneil
2) Scottish Co-Op
3) Johnstone

Kinneil won most of the instrumental prizes apart from; Horn - Co-op,
Basses - Co-op, Percussion - Johnstone.
I Am just going for a pint with Kenny Crookston, so I will post the rest when i return, assuming they have not already been posted and if I can still type!!!

Moy

1 Unison Kinneil (Alan Ramsay) 194
2 Scottish Co-op (Raymond Tennant) 193
3 Johnstone (Gavin Lindsay) 192
4 Granite City Brass (David James) 191
5 Newtongrange(Alan Duguid) 190
6 Clacmannan District ( James Smith) 189
7 Shotts St Patrick’s Brass (Simon Kerwin) 188
8 Bo’ness & Carriden (Chris Bradley) 187
9 Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass (Alastair Orr) 185
10 Renfrew Burgh (Charles Keenan) 184
11 Jedforest Instrumental (Cameron Mabon) 183
12 Irvine & Dreghorn (John Boax) 182
13 Broxburn Public (Bruce Wallace) 181
14 Kilmarnock Concert Brass (Andrew Keachie) 180

Unison Kinneil also won: Best solist, Best Cornet, Best Euphonium, Best Baritone, Best Trombone and most entertaining programme.
Scottish Co-op won; Best Basses and Best Horn
Johnstone won Best Percussion
Adjudicator: Andrew Duncan

Facilties were much improved and the catering was excellent at Whitburn Academy.

Edited because everytime I put 8 with a bracket round it I got a 8)

does anyone know what Shotts played in their programme as they finished quite high and won best second section band. I never heard them but heard they were good.

Well done!!!!

Moy

Good morning floral_dance.
Nice meeting up with you yesterday...even though it was brief.
Didn't get home 'till late....long drive back to Aberdeen.
Sorry couldn't tell you what Shotts played but I know many of our band were impressed with Kinneils performance.
Thanks...we were really pleased with 4th and it made a long journey home a happy one.

TheDoc

We'll for all of you who had sore heeds :hammer and were in doubt to who would win or pull of the HAT TRICK!!!

Have one on us :guiness

from thedoc Unison Kinneil Band

YPLMO

Congratulations to Unison Kinneil on their success at the Whitburn Contest on Saturday.

They put in a great performance and seem to be getting better each time I hear them. A great band sound.

Co-op played very well but Kinneil deserved the victory. Should make for an interesting Scottish Championships next year.

Congrats again and I look forward to hearing all the bands at the Scottish Open.