Who's going to the RNCM International Tuba/Euphonium Event?

Seedhouse

An absolutely great event! :lol:
If you didn't go, you missed a treat! :D
I went mad on the trade stands (it is Christmas coming up after all, and my parents let me choose what I'd like as a pressie!)
Met a fellow tMPer too, think it was Brian Kelly- am I right???
(Have a bit of a goldfish memory!)
I remember it began with a B! :?

So who went then, and what did you think?

faerie

Seedhouse said:
So who went then, and what did you think?

I went, and I was quite amazed to be honest. I was there on my own during the days and I was expecting them to drag by, but the whole thing flew by with the quality of the music!

Highlights have to be: (apart from it all of course!)

:arrow: Tormod Flaten
:arrow: Peter Meechans stuff. The use of the electronic stuff in "Electric Reality" was cool :)
:arrow: "Earth Voices" by Szentpali. very original.
:arrow: Gomalan Brass, of course. Not strictly tubaeuph, but brought the house down.
:arrow: The Allstar Ensemble. What a sound :D Cant ask for much more than 30 odd world class players playing together!

So wow, basically.
And i want to go to the one next summer, but i think that might be pushing the pennies a little too far!

Dave Euph

It was quite superb, a real treat. Of course, how can anyone not mention Gomolan Brass!

I also got a chance to have a go on a few euphoniums (Custom, Maestro and a Courtois) ... although I imagine I'll be sticking to my sovereign.

Wide Varieties of Tubas

The Weekend was great! (excluding getting up at 6 o'clock in order to catch a train at 5 to 8 in the morning!) at least on sunday i was woken up at the reasonable time of 10 o'clock (*cough*, *cough*, Dave, *cough*)

Out of curiosity, did anyone see the Huddersfield Tuba/Euphonium ensemble at 10 o'clock on the Saturday? I was one of their three tubas (the one making all the mistakes :oops: ).

Also, was anyone in the refectory afterwards (on the sunday) watching the RAF play some jazz and the Gomelan Quintet getting drunk, which is another of the activities I participated in! :guiness

faerie

Euph-Bari said:
faerie said:
:arrow: Gomalan Brass, of course. Not strictly tubaeuph, but brought the

:wink: :p

Huh?? Tipsey again dear?

And sadly I missed the Huddersfield brass people and the getting drunk in the bar bits. Got there a bit late on the sat, and had to dissapear back to liverpool on the sunday evening...

Aidan

Re: Wide Varieties of Tubas

Curiosity_Kills said:
and the Gomelan Quintet getting drunk,
and getting off with fred's cat and heather :D haha
I was only there on sat morning, mainly to watch ben, didn't really have the motivation to go watch anyone else ;) but everyone i've spoke to has been raving about the gomelan brass so I'll have to watch out for them.

edited ;)

my RNCM audition is the following monday, so il be trying to get some practice in that wkend hopefully instead of all the staying over, not much sleep and muchos alcohol
damn, thats where i went wrong again! saturday morning was awful for the old head, but 4 paracetomol down and i carried on regardless. my performance was a tad disasterous, but Gomalan Brass were awesome, even when bamboozled!!!

Andy_Euph

Seedhouse said:
I saw the Huddersfield ensemble, it was very good.

:shock:

I played and then stopped for a bit (had to leave to catch a train) and thought some of the stuff on offer was fantastic. Thought the Chethams euph and tubas were ace and the Grimey quartet was excellent as was Shaun Crowther's solos. Highlight for me though was the British Euph Ensemble playing the piece about killing off dwarves.

faerie

Andy_Euph said:
Highlight for me though was the British Euph Ensemble playing the piece about killing off dwarves.

Id forgotton about that! Yeah, that one was funny :) Especially the introduction trying to explain how it all came about. :lol: :lol:

Cheers Mark.

Although David 'attributed' the story to the two of us, I wouldn't like to steal the glory from Dave - it was all his story!!!

Anyway, enough of dwarfs!!! (If that is still a P.C. term!)

There were many highlights to the weekend (especially Dave Thornton with the RNCM Wind Orch), but there was one dissapointment - not hearing you, Mark!

See you soon

Pete

P.S. Dave has always been the King of Comedy - you and I should know that!

Dave Euph

Seedhouse said:
I saw the Huddersfield ensemble, it was very good. Which one were you- left, right or middle tuba?

He was the one with glasses and spikey hair (not the fat one).

I was in that ensemble too ... I was the one who played the counter-melody in Swedish Hym at the beginning, second from the right. God I was nervous about that ... just for four bars!

Seedhouse

Ah, remember what you looked like (Dave Euph) but not the other one. Ah well. Well played by the way! :wink:

There is a lot of talk about the euphonium players at the conference!! Did anyone see any of the tuba players performing??? Any comments???

Andy_Euph

Dave Euph said:
He was the one with glasses and spikey hair (not the fat one).

:D Your on about Rob having spikey hair Dave... I'm sure Seedhouse couldn't have missed yours :lol: :lol:

Your bit in Swedish Hymn was spot on though, you see what a bit of nerves and not wanting to incur the wrath of Mr Thornton can do :wink: