7th
8th Enderby
9th

Not sure of the rest

lbba

Official Results

Results - Leicester BBA Open Contest - Sunday 29th November

Open Section – Adjudicator – Alan Morrison

Pos. Band. Played. Points (Piece Played)

1. Ratby Co-operative, 9, 191 (Dances and Alleluias)
2. Thoresby Colliery, 8, 190 (Tallis Variations)
3. Kidlington Concert, 4, 189 (Montage)
4. Yorkshire Imps DUT, 3, 188 (Paganini Variations)
5. City of Cambridge, 6, 187 (Year of the Dragon)
6. Jackfield (Elcock Reisen), 1, 185 (Journey to the Centre of the Earth)
7. United Yorkshire Co-op, 5, 183 (Year of the Dragon)
8. Enderby, 7, 181 (Paganini Variations)
9. Bedford Town, 2, 180 (Le Carnival Romain)
w. Jaguar Coventry

First Section – Adjudicator – Mark Wilkinson

1. Barton Town, 11, 194 (Triumphant Rhapsody)
2. Gresley Colliery, 2, 192 (Symphony of Marches)
3. Foresters Brass 2000, 8, 191 (Hebridean Suite)
4. St Albans City, 7, 190 (Trittico)
5. Hathern, 9, 188 (Symphony of Marches)
6. Yorkshire Co-op, 1, 187 (Hebridean Suite)
7. Bollington Brass, 6, 186 (Resurgam)
8. Wigston, 3, 185 (Connotations)
9. Bedworth Brass, 10, 184 (Paganini Variations)
10. Regent Brass, 5, 183 (Tallis Variations)
11. Carlton Brass, 4, 182 (Hebridean Suite)
w. Brackley & District
w. Harborough

Second Section – Adjudicator – Steve Pritchard Jones

1. Oddfellows Brass, 6, 187
2. Matlock, 4, 186
3. Shirland M Welfare, 3, 185
4. Chinnor Silver, 1, 183
5. Fulham , 5, 182
6. Leicestershire Co-operative, 2, 181

Third Section – Adjudicator – Steve Pritchard Jones

1. Weston Brass, 4, 185
2. Hucknall & Linby M Community, 7, 184
3. Daventry Brass, 3, 182
4. Stamford Brass, 2, 180
5. Fulham, 1, 179
6. Kirkby Colliery Welfare, 8, 178
7. Watford, 5, 177
8. Audley Brass, 6, 176

Fourth Section – Adjudicator – Marie Smith

1. Rolls Royce Derby, 6, 190
2. Newhall, 1, 189
3. Audley Brass, 4, 187
4. Melton, 5, 185
5. Ratby Co-operative Mid, 3, 184
6. Rushden Town, 2, 183
7. Croft Silver, 7, 182

Unregistered Section – Adjudicator – Marie Smith

1. Ratby Juniors (B Moss)
2. Enderby Concert (S Osgood)

IJK

listened to all fourth section bands today and was impressed

and i had the top 3 in the section but had Audley in 2nd not 3rd.

Ok as Marie said there was a lot of ups and downs and some very good playing but tuning was a real problem to day!!! in every band.

as said had the top 3 but I was so impressed by Audley, why because the sop, rep,2nd and I think one of the 3rd cornet players was under 4ft in height and I would say all under 12?? I may be wrong but apart from a bit of tuning they were a very good team and really gave it everything!! It was really good to see as the rest of the band were old farts like me (over 20)

Welldone to everyone to day

Baldeagle

Was as always a great contest, but alas was not a good day for us, but we were not expecting a good result due to player shortages, that said we turned up and did our best. Barton Town were great,well done. Walter as allways tried to do his magic with us, but we live on for another day. Roll on thr area i can assure you that we will "Rise Again"

Red Elvis

Depped with Cambridge today. Very happy with a 5th place in a field of very good bands.

Bar in the school had run out of beer by 1730 or so !!!!! Went to the pub opposite , good crowd in there. LBBA lost a few quid I fear !!!

Bryan_sop

Depped with Cambridge today. Very happy with a 5th place in a field of very good bands.

Bar in the school had run out of beer by 1730 or so !!!!! Went to the pub opposite , good crowd in there. LBBA lost a few quid I fear !!!

Schoolboy error...a bar at a band contest running out of beer! Working men's club profitted well out of it though...LBBA's Loss!

Euphemistic

1. Weston Brass, 4, 185
5. Fulham, 1, 179
7. Watford, 5, 177
8. Audley Brass, 6, 176

2. Newhall, 1, 189
3. Audley Brass, 4, 187
4. Melton, 5, 185
6. Rushden Town, 2, 183
7. Croft Silver, 7, 182

Congratulations to Weston Brass in the 3rd - making probably what was their first (or first for a long time) journey up to the East Midlands from my native South West - good to see some old friends.

Congratulations also to Melton in the 4th (defying the predictions!) and to Hucknall in the 3rd (for whom I had the pleasure of depping).

Jon Clare
Euph, Melton

Last edited by a moderator:

BarneyEuph

1. Weston Brass, 4, 185
5. Fulham, 1, 179
7. Watford, 5, 177
8. Audley Brass, 6, 176

2. Newhall, 1, 189
3. Audley Brass, 4, 187
4. Melton, 5, 185
6. Rushden Town, 2, 183
7. Croft Silver, 7, 182

Congratulations to Weston Brass in the 3rd - making probably what was their first (or first for a long time) journey up to the East Midlands from my native South West - good to see some old friends.

Congratulations also to Melton in the 4th (defying the predictions!) and to Hucknall in the 3rd (for whom I had the pleasure of depping).

Jon Clare
Euph, Melton

Hi Jon

Well done. You must be sleeping and dreaming that solo now. Ha ha. You did better than us, coming last in the 2nd Section. Enjoyed playing Labour and Love though. It's certainly interesting how musical the first test piece to be composed for a brass band competition was, specially compared against some of the more modern composed pieces these days. (Re Butlins 2nd Section Test Piece for 2010 etc)

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
listened to all fourth section bands today and was impressed

and i had the top 3 in the section but had Audley in 2nd not 3rd.

Ok as Marie said there was a lot of ups and downs and some very good playing but tuning was a real problem to day!!! in every band.

as said had the top 3 but I was so impressed by Audley, why because the sop, rep,2nd and I think one of the 3rd cornet players was under 4ft in height and I would say all under 12?? I may be wrong but apart from a bit of tuning they were a very good team and really gave it everything!! It was really good to see as the rest of the band were old farts like me (over 20)

Welldone to everyone to day

Many thanks for your kind words IJK. We are very proud of our young back row, none of whom have played with the band for more than 12 months. You are right, they really gave it everything - they always do! Us "old farts" feel privileged to play alongside and encourage our youngsters, after all that is what the true spirit of brass banding is about. It was a great day out and we feel that Audley is now back, and on the way up. We've got the right MD and the team feeling is extremely strong - bring on Bedworth!!

Leicester BBA Contest - Results

Open Section – Adjudicator – Alan Morrison

Pos. Band. Played. Points (Piece Played)

1. Ratby Co-operative, 9, 191 (Dances and Alleluias)
2. Thoresby Colliery, 8, 190 (Tallis Variations)
3. Kidlington Concert, 4, 189 (Montage)
4. Yorkshire Imps DUT, 3, 188 (Paganini Variations)
5. City of Cambridge, 6, 187 (Year of the Dragon)
6. Jackfield (Elcock Reisen), 1, 185 (Journey to the Centre of the Earth)
7. United Yorkshire Co-op, 5, 187 (Year of the Dragon)
8. Enderby, 7, 181 (Paganini Variations)
9. Bedford Town, 2, 180 (Le Carnival Romain)
w. Jaguar Coventry

Are the scores for Yorkshire Co-op and Jackfield correct as if they are the scores, then surely Yorkshire Coop came 6th and Jackfield 7th?
I don't want to take anything away from Jackfield (My band!) but if Co-op beat them it should be updated!
Please feel free to correct me if I've made a glaring mistake, it has been known of a few occasions ;-) (often on the contest stage!!)

sbandsman

Are the scores for Yorkshire Co-op and Jackfield correct as if they are the scores, then surely Yorkshire Coop came 6th and Jackfield 7th?
I don't want to take anything away from Jackfield (My band!) but if Co-op beat them it should be updated!
Please feel free to correct me if I've made a glaring mistake, it has been known of a few occasions ;-) (often on the contest stage!!)

LBBA website quote the same result so its any ones guess about typos......
:redface:

Have asked LBBA to clarify - either way incredibly happy with my team at Co-op. Thanks guys - a great development exercise and a good stretch of stamina playing in 2 sections. Thank you, thank you and thank you again to everyone at Co-op! And a special well done and thanks to MD Simon Kerwin, Becky Venus, Adam Keech and Phil Bracegirdle and a huge thank you and farewell to Andi Cook for everything over the last few years. Good luck - you're always one of the team.
xxx

Thirteen Ball

Thanks Tabby. Not a bad little piece to sign off on is it, Year of the dragon?

I've had a brilliant time at co-op over the last six and a bit years or so, but the time has come to move on, focus on things other than playing and seek fresh challenges. And as I said to Simon last night. Even taking me out of the equation, you'll still be getting 21-22 round the stand at rehearsals, some already great players and the rest with a huge amount of potential, so I'll not leave too big a gap.

Plus you might get a bit less grumbling from the basses now... ;)

YHBBA conductors course next week... Portfolio of compositions coming along nicely... onward and upward...

Last edited:

Di

The score for Yorkshire Co-op should read 183 and this has been corrected in the results list. :)

Product tMP members are discussing