Who would you most like to conduct your band?

Who would you most like to conduct your band?

• Total voters

jambo

With the areas fast approaching and the stakes being high in many regions for a trip to the Nationals I was wondering who you'd all want to be taking your band and Why?
Pedigree, Stick technique, Band training ability, musicality...the list is endless.

I realise that this is not an exhaustive list but it should get the ball rolling.

Of course there are many fine residents out there that will do a tremendous job along with many well known conductors not mentioned here.

Accidental

Supporting Member
Can you add another category for "the conductor we've already got" please?! I'm a bit sceptical about bringing in pros for the contests - if someone works hard with the band day in day out, knows everyopne's strengths and weaknesses and gets good results, then it ain't broke and don't need fixing (imho!!)!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Interesting thread, but as you say... there are many excellent conductors who are not mentioned in the poll.

Also, to everyone - please can you kindly ensure this thread remains on topic and does not start any flaming. Please only write what you wouldn't mind being written about yourself.

And if there are any MD's or conductors out there who feel their name should be on the list.... tell us and SHOUT... :)

Cheers.

satchmo shaz

well, If I was ill or unable to get, I would like anyone with ability, motivation and respect for my players and their limitations!

I wouldnt like to come back to half a band because some players have been upset ! :wink:

Darth_Tuba

Well, I've gone for the guy we already have conducting us - Garry Cutt. Having played under quite a few of the names on the list, I wouldn't change for any of them. All good conductors, but Garry is a superb band trainer and his working relationship with the band is superb.

Dave Payn

Accidental said:
Can you add another category for "the conductor we've already got" please?! I'm a bit sceptical about bringing in pros for the contests - if someone works hard with the band day in day out, knows everyopne's strengths and weaknesses and gets good results, then it ain't broke and don't need fixing (imho!!)!

Absolutely, Accidental (Having heard your band's CD, I'd say it ain't broke so definitely no need to fix it!,) but even though I'll be playing in the 4th section, there might be be some value in having one of the 'bigguns' come along to a rehearsal, but the conductor you've appointed knows the players strengths and weaknesses (and our one has got to disappoint a few by telling them they're not playing as we have too many players, not a pleasant task!).

Hypothetically, if our band had a vacancy, then from this list... well they're all great but I'd plump for Howard Snell, who I think is largely responsible for the improvement in technique and musical awareness of our top brass bands over the past 25 years, but realistically, given our current situation, then I wouldn't swap our MD at all! (That'll be two pints of Guinness for that plug, McLaughlin..... ;-)

Maybe add an 'other' option to the poll so tMPers can vote for conductors that aren't on the list.
I'd stick with the one we've got (Billy Rushworth), probably because he'd hit me if i said anyone else and he'd stop buying me beer!! :shock:

sparkling_quavers

VenusTromster said:
Maybe add an 'other' option to the poll so tMPers can vote for conductors that aren't on the list.
I'd stick with the one we've got (Billy Rushworth), probably because he'd hit me if i said anyone else and he'd stop buying me beer!! :shock:

Done, SQ

Roger Thorne

Accidental said:
If you get chance to read this weeks edition of the British Bandsman there's an interesting article about the subject of Resident and Professional conductors. - well worth a read.

:wink:

The Judge

Howard Snell has my vote. He has done some work with our band whilst living on the IOM and he's top notch.

Of course, I'm sure the others are excellent as well, but Howard's record over the years speaks for itself doesn't it ?

Darth_Tuba

I know I've already gone for Garry Cutt, but here would be my choices, in order:
1. Garry Cutt - see earlier post
2. Alan Withington - a glaring omission from the list in my mind, a superb musician and his Nationals record is excellent.
3. Howard Snell - one of the best band trainers going and can produce some of the most exciting contest performances on stage (Year of the Dragon at the Euros with Britannia is a prime example!)
4. James Gourlay - Always brings something a bit different to the music, and his rehearsals always amuse me.

I've only really made my decisions based on conductors I have played under. I don't think I can really make a decision about ones I haven't. This is why most people wouldn't swap the conductors they have I suppose... but be hypothetical people! Otherwise the thread'll be pump and may as well be called "Who conducts your band!"

jambo

Accidental said:
Can you add another category for "the conductor we've already got" please?! !
Thought I did under "Another"

anyway, its been modded so..onwards and upwards :oops:

Lisa

Philip Harper because he looks sooo much fun. Sure he would generate lots of enthusiasm in a band! :)

The Cornet King

One who isnt on the list and who used to conduct my old band from time to time before contests is Geoff Whitham.

Brings the best out of anyone with the evil glares :twisted: , comes out with some side splittingly hilarious stories and comments and an all round great bloke!

:wink:

cornetgirl

Go Geoff! I'd agree with that, he always brings out the best in everyone, even to the extent of pulling faces at you on stage if you're nervous!

Rach x