Who wants to be a millionaire... pub quiz

Andy_Euph

How far have you got on the pub touchscreen game, the furthest i've got is 250,000 points twice but thats all... has anyone ever won this, I aint seen it done yet

Fishsta

Yeah, once got up to the 500,000 with a few friends (took the money lol) on the 50p/£20 version, watched a bloke get the JP from that, and also watched someone get one of the big prizes off the 4-way linked Jackpot versions you find in arcades (£500 or so, it was).

This machine cheats, though... there are times when it gives no correct answer to choose or says you're wrong even though you are right.

And in case anyone's thinking we got it wrong, my mate was so certain about the answer, we went and looked it up on the internet. We were correct. (It was some football transfer thing, as if THAT'S general knowledge!)

Any gambling machine in a pub or arcade is there to seperate you from your money. End of.

Actually, the odds on SWPs like this are around the 50% mark, much lower than the legal limit on AWPs at 70%. And we all know how robbing they are.

Fairplay Campaign

Dave Euph

Wow, talk about about turning a thread into a personal rant very quickly! But I see your point, I've read articles on the 'fairness' of pub/arcade gambling machines and there is evidence to suggest they are fixed - generally why I avoid them.

Oh, and I might have got £1000 once, but that was with help! :D

manx_yessir

I've never seen the jackpot won on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire machine, yet either. (Or on Weakest Link m/c). As an Engineer who fixes, sorry, repairs(!) these machines, I can tell you that they do pay out but, in general, only the very small amounts. Fishta is right when he say's these quiz machines (SWP's) are usually set to around 50% payout. This is usually decided by the brewery that owns the pub/club where the machines are sited so don't have a go at me! :oops:

Personally I don't tend to play AWP's (Fruit Machines) at all. If I did that I might as well just hand my wages straight back to my boss! :roll: I'll throw an odd quid in SWPs but that's just out of boredom.

ploughboy

I've done it. The machine was in the Northern Snooker Center in Leeds, It was the one where the Cash Jackpot goes up a few pence everytime someone puts a quid in. There was two of us, we did all the way including the million points question and won.......................£990!!!!! Pretty cool

just to keep the musical site happy! I did spend most of my half on Percussion gear!!

Andy_Euph

Fishsta said:
Yeah, once got up to the 500,000 with a few friends (took the money lol) on the 50p/£20 version, watched a bloke get the JP from that, and also watched someone get one of the big prizes off the 4-way linked Jackpot versions you find in arcades (£500 or so, it was).

This machine cheats, though... there are times when it gives no correct answer to choose or says you're wrong even though you are right.

And in case anyone's thinking we got it wrong, my mate was so certain about the answer, we went and looked it up on the internet. We were correct. (It was some football transfer thing, as if THAT'S general knowledge!)

Any gambling machine in a pub or arcade is there to seperate you from your money. End of.

Actually, the odds on SWPs like this are around the 50% mark, much lower than the legal limit on AWPs at 70%. And we all know how robbing they are.

Fairplay Campaign

Yup that has happened to me a couple of times and i've gone a little overboard, i.e. kicking machine. I also waste quite a lot of money on the bandits when i'm out clubbing, I can't help it its fun... until i realise i've just put about £30 in :cry:

Fishsta

£100 in without a sniff of a jackpot is common these days.

How that helps them keep to 70% payout, I don't know.

six pints

easy solution- just spend the money on beer instead! :guiness
altho i have spent more then £100 on alcohol this weekend- pitlochry is expensive!