Who owns their own instrument?

Sueee

I have my own silver yamaha maestro but only play it for solo performances unfortunately cos we have lacquered coloured instruments at band *gutted* :?

cornetgirl

I own my own Sov cornet and Strad flugel but at band I play the Courtois flug which is a gorgeous instrument with a great sound (my flugel's having a facelift at the moment!). I also have a Holton Symphony trumpet and a Getzen D/Eb trumpet.

Rach x

PeterBale said:
I have my own saxophone, a Buffet with a lovely, light touch. I've owned it now for at least 30 years, and it has been around a lot longer than that.

I had a sax, but I sold it. I didn't really continue it much after I left 6th form college cos I only played in shows *sigh*

I also have a random violin somewhere, and there's a horrible nasty baritone somewhere in the house, my brother's been forced onto it! PAH!

A bach 42b which served me for many years, and its replacement - a Rath R4F a month or two old. Still being run in.

I played on the band's bach 42b for six months, and then realised what a dud instrument it was.

Daniel Sheard
Northop Silver, North Wakes

Boneman

I have a lovely Yamaha YSBL681B which is 10 years old now - but strangely enough a local solicitors company bought a brand new Trombone for our band a couple of years ago So I now have the pleasure of playing this! (an equally lovely Conn 8H)

Neil Twist - Sorry to see you have to share your instrument with the Bass Trom from Dyke
I have my own (well my parents do) bass trombone, is the new besson sov, same as adrian from black dyke plays on!
I will have a word with the local solicitor and see if they can't sort you out with something!

I have a BE981 Sovereign EEb Tuba which I bought 3 years ago with redundancy money. I got another job straight away so could afford to splash out. I have had some problems with the valves sticking but apart from that I love it. :D
It is the concert model with a lower mouthpipe which I find very comfortable, and no marching rings or lyre holder so I can't possibly march with it. Its a good job as I fell over marching with a band instrument a couple of years ago and made a concertina out of the bell. :twisted:

Apart from this I have an EEb Imperial Bass (nominally my sons but he never plays it) which I do use for marching.

I also have a Yamaha clarinet which was my daughters but I bought it off her as she wasn't playing it and I was( I sold mine for a pittance when I was a student and had run out of money for beer and other essentials and didn't want her to do the same)

Also have a set of recorders (sopranino,descant,treble,tenor), an electric piano and a keyboard.
The only trouble is that I spend so much time banding that I very rarely find time to play my other instruments :cry:

Moy

cornetgirl said:
I own my own Sov cornet and Strad flugel but at band I play the Courtois flug which is a gorgeous instrument with a great sound (my flugel's having a facelift at the moment!). I also have a Holton Symphony trumpet and a Getzen D/Eb trumpet.

Rach x
I own my courtois cornet and play on a band courtois flugel and like you Rach I think it is a great instrument. If it's good enough for Helen Fox it's good enough for me. I wish mine sounded like Helens. :lol:

sparkling_quavers

SellersSue said:
I have my own silver yamaha maestro but only play it for solo performances unfortunately cos we have lacquered coloured instruments at band *gutted* :?

I really like the maestros as well....really nice tone I think and easier to play than the soverigns (in my opinion anyway! :? ). I play on a band cornet (a soverign)...when I am rich I am going to buy a maestro! 8) I do own my own cornet....a really pants besson student type thing. It's that bad I can't even remember what it is :roll: At the moment my brother plays on it (or to say it sits locked up in his school music cuboard would be more accurate!!)

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
I own a yamaha baritone which my husband bought me for christmas 2 years ago. I get a much better sound on this than on a sovereign. The only problem now is that he seems to think I should buy him a Bb bass in return. He's got no chance.

stephen2001

I have a Soverign Euphonium and a Blessing Bb Trombones and a Bb/F (can remember the make :?) Trombone that work and were bought for me by my parents, as was another Bb Trombone which doesn't!
The Bb/F Trom I play on now was found for a bargain price at a market for £80 and was, and still is, in perfect order!

ali_rep@no

i dunt own me own instrument! :cry:
i hire one from the band for a £1 a week! i prob cud have bought my own by now!
i dunt no if any of u does this but if u play a wrong note do you blame it on ur instrument? i do! :p frantically movin ur valves and gettin ur old blue juice out! " stupid valves!" :lol:
ok ill shut up now! i was just curious!
ali xxxxxxxxxx

tubatu

I currently own 3 Eb Basses:- a B&H 400 which was rescued from a school having been severely beaten up, it cost about £50 to get out the worst of the dents and to make it playable; an old Imperial and a 9 year old Sovereign, which I play most of the time.
I also have a La Fleur Marching Euphonium, a Clarinet, several recorders and a Didgeridoo!
Recently I decided to part with my Eb Sousaphone as I needed the space.

HunkySteve

I own my 2 year old Courtois Euph (from new)
I own my 4 year old Courtois 400R Hagmann Symphonie Trom (from new)
My son owns his double bell Hagmann Courtois from new
My wiife owns her Sov Horn (not from new, but replated and spot on)
My daughter owned her Schilke Sop (not from new and now moved on
My daughter owns her own Maestro Cornet from new, its now 6 years old.

We also have sundry other brass thingies around the place (like trumpets, other cornets etc) and also owned all the the previous instruments that preceded wot we use now, so I guess you might say we are quite committed in 'our 'ouse.

We prefer it that way.

HS

HunkySteve

Looking at previous posts, Ali_rep has a good point. Over the last few weeks my excuses for being a cr*p player have been:

a) Valves sticking (Courtois do that sometimes)
b) Cant see music - got to share a stand and glasses work close up
c) my best yet - terminal gout!

Gout is good guys, cos no-one wants to argue cos of the tears running down your chops. Mind you, I reckon giving birth is a close second. Ive not done that you understand but I know someone who has

HS :lol: :lol: :shock:

Bones

It has been said (at least by my wife) that I have been a serial bone collector, but here's the list as it stands.

Conn 89H (yes 89H, it is an imported convertible 88H) which I use for my brass band and quintet duties. Quite simply Gods own instrument. And a 88H wich my late and very dear Grandmother bought me. (God bless her, she would have loved seeing where it has been played)

A Conn 6H with a coprian bell for jazz and swing band work. A Rath R1 for big band work also.

An Amati alto trom to be used for messing about with, as is my Besson 700 Euphonium.

I've recently sold an Edwards and Rath R4 and a Conn 6H as I've decided I need to clear my mortgage rather than add to my trombone store. All good instruments but surplus. Mind you I would dearly love to get my hands on an Elkhart 8H so anyone with a good condition example, get in touch asap. This would be a bonus to my collection.

Cheers

Rich