Who owns their own instrument?

NeilW

I've got a 1974 Sovereign Euph, which I've had for about 10 years. At least, being one of the early ones, its got reasonable valves and is mostly in tune (unlike the Imperials of the early 70's which were dreadful, particularly in the upper register). I bought it a new Hiscox case last year as the blue one was getting very tatty - chose the Hiscox because it fits in my car's boot, whereas the B&H one is too tall.

I have also got a 1920's Boosey & Co Class A, which I still use for marching sometimes as its much lighter - it also has pretty engraving on the bell!

Lastly, I've got a 3-valve German valve bone which is fun in "big bands".

Neil.

AndyCat

Own Instruments

I own a Sovereign 992 BBb :D (Best BBb I've ever played). I use this in 10 piece and Big Band, and any orchestra work. Far better in tune than any Sov BBb bass produced since. Also a Yamaha 613H Bull Trom. At Faireys I use their bass, a 994, but it's nowhere near mine to play. Can't be bothered carting mine to every rehearsal though! :roll:

Andy Cat

hmm I've got my own sovereign Cornet, Tenor horn and Trombone, from when I was playing these positions in various bands, but I must admit I draw the line at buying an Eb Bass. I'm afraid the bands will have to suffice as dented as it is!

Wonky_Baton

I have my own Baton but it broke and is now held together with sticky tape. If I win tMP user name award I might get sponsorship from a baton manufacturer trying to cash in on my fame. :lol:

hornblower

I own a delapadated tenor horn which a mate is trying to ressurect for me... and I was given my Grandad's Concertina - it is stunning, but as I only have one arm can't really play it.... have no idea if it's worth anything though, as I think Grandad would have liked me to get something I could play instead....

euphemism

OK - we own
1 prestige euph - 2½ years old
1 flugel
1 tenor horn
1 sov cornet
1 baritone
2 drum kits ('normal' kit - at Satchmo shazzies where we rehearse the dance band and an Arbiter flat kit which I gig with) and a practice kit for me young lad
a couple of guitars (not played much)... too busy practicing other stuff
2 trumpets - altho me better half doesn't know about the red trumpet - it's her Birthday next week.......

And a partridge in a pear tree....

Holy **** could you not just collect stamps ??

Anyway I own 1 Tenor Horn, Besson Soveriegn (is that even slept right ?)
Got it cheap , has 3 lacker stains, manufacturing defect, but it works a treat.

euphemism

Collected stamps as a kid...soon got bored of that !!

Brass and drums are more sociable......

And can tell you the time............

If you wake up in the middle of the night and don't know the time, you start playing the drums - loudly !! One of your neighbours will start yelling - "who's playing the ******* drums at quarter to three in the morning?"

So - you'll know the time - and can quite happily go back to sleep !!!!

:twisted: :wink:

satchmo shaz

euphemism said:
Collected stamps as a kid...soon got bored of that !!

Brass and drums are more sociable......

And can tell you the time............

If you wake up in the middle of the night and don't know the time, you start playing the drums - loudly !! One of your neighbours will start yelling - "who's playing the ******* drums at quarter to three in the morning?"

So - you'll know the time - and can quite happily go back to sleep !!!!

:twisted: :wink:
. he has tried this......runs in the family....... I have 8 assorted cornets , trumpets and flugels, I mean 9 and my husband has 8 trombones! we also have a piano, a clavinova and a keyboard....... thank goodness all the neighbours like us! we all played on Xmas day outside carl's (euphenism) house in the street and have played in my garden as well!! there's 9 of us who play in the family!! :wink:

blue euph

Instruments that I own

I own a 1972 Besson 4 valve compensating Euph which was made in England. I got for 2 years ago for only $850us. It plays well esp. in the low register. Last semester I played in a brass quintet which I played the tuba parts as written on euph. which worked great for me and almost made me sound like an Eb tuba :) . The only real problem I have with her is playing mid Eb and F, which are quite sharp. Once a get decent paying job, I'm going to see if I can get a trigger for main tuning slde to solve this annoying problem. I'm in the process of buying a c1948 Bach 42 trombone. Its in pretty good shape, it needs a small inner ding around 5th position taken out and a small ding half way down the bell. It makes me sound like a trombone player. :)

If I had some $$$, I would buy a Besson Prestiage Euph. and a Besson Eb Compensating tuba.

Lyndsay

I am very pleased that I have just bought my first instrument, YSL 682B Yamaha Trombone, (the Bousefield model). As a poor student, had some help from mum and dad, but am proud that I managed to fund more than half of it, along with practice and straight mute!

jinx

I have a drum kit, xylophone, and various other items required for shed building....spent up my student loans to get them and am now paying ridiculous amounts of interest....might have to sell the drums and xylo to pay off the loans....should've got a degree in bad planning!

andy;-)

I have an old (18 years) sov 921 large bore and a pocket trumpet / cornet which is great for when you get called abroad on short notice with work just before major contests as it hides in the bottom of the case.

Euph-Bari

I only got my own euph (a sovereign don't know how old) well my parents bought but when i buy my own soon i'll part exchange it :? ahhh! thats like conning from my parents - ah thats what they are there for :twisted:

JRobertS

I own my own euphonium, a BE2052 Prestige. I also own a Sovereign Bb/F tenor trombone, a very old Boosey & Co euphonium and a cheap tenor horn which I found at an antique shop for £45.

Naomi McFadyen

i have my own drum kit, xylophone, clarinet, saxophone, flute, cornet, electric guitar, folk guitar, classical guitar, bass guitar, keyboard...

Naomi
Percussionist, Leyland

Keppler

Staff member
Naruco said:
i have my own drum kit, xylophone, clarinet, saxophone, flute, cornet, electric guitar, folk guitar, classical guitar, bass guitar, keyboard...

.. on a sesame seed bun..

:? once you start you can't stop, or something..

Seedhouse

I've got a brand new Prestige BE2052 Euphonium, 1 DAY OLD! :lol: Its amazing! I feel incredibly lucky to have one, considering the cost of it. But I think its definately worth the money in the long run. :wink:

Aidan

Keppler said:
Naruco said:

.. on a sesame seed bun..

:? once you start you can't stop, or something..
isnt that pringles ;)