Who is your favourite Euphonium Player(s)?

My favourite euphonium player was my dad, Alec Anderson. I’m sure none of you have ever heard of him, but I remember him winning every solo contest he entered back in the 50s and 60s. He had the most beautiful tone. I too was a solo euphonium player just like my dad and grandfather Charles A Anderson. I wasn’t that bad either. ☺️
No, you were pretty good Steve!

Warren

Interesting that no-one has mentioned that appalling player, Steven Mead. I would go for Steve Boyes, Royal Marines Principal Euphonium and main soloist. Excellent musician.

Stevieb

Without a doubt the finest Euphonium player was the legendary John Clough from John Foster & Sons 'Black Dyke Mills Band' from the 1960's, 70's & 80's.

James Yelland

Interesting that no-one has mentioned that appalling player, Steven Mead.
... apart from in posts 1, 4, 13, 15, 19, 28, 42, 61, 78, 94, 97, 107, 118, 127, 134, 152, 165, 170, 172, 193, 202, 204, 211, 212, 245 and 255, of course. And since you ask, yes, I do have time on my hands at the moment!

Many euphonium players can dazzle us with their technical abilities, many produce lovely sounds, but I don't believe anyone matches Steven Mead for sheer musicianship, which drips from his fingertips. And nobody, but nobody, has made such a contribution to enriching the repertoire by commissioning so many pieces from such a diverse range of sources, nor have they produced so many commercial recordings so we can all listen to them. In my opinion, of course. I'm only disappointed that he doesn't seem to have made many new recordings in recent times, but I suppose he must be getting on a bit by now.....

Vegasbound

... apart from in posts 1, 4, 13, 15, 19, 28, 42, 61, 78, 94, 97, 107, 118, 127, 134, 152, 165, 170, 172, 193, 202, 204, 211, 212, 245 and 255, of course. And since you ask, yes, I do have time on my hands at the moment!

Many euphonium players can dazzle us with their technical abilities, many produce lovely sounds, but I don't believe anyone matches Steven Mead for sheer musicianship, which drips from his fingertips. And nobody, but nobody, has made such a contribution to enriching the repertoire by commissioning so many pieces from such a diverse range of sources, nor have they produced so many commercial recordings so we can all listen to them. In my opinion, of course. I'm only disappointed that he doesn't seem to have made many new recordings in recent times, but I suppose he must be getting on a bit by now.....
He is still touring and performing, his website/euphonium store keeps you updated

Product tMP members are discussing