who is your favourite band?

Who is the best band around?

• Total voters

PeterBale

Staff member
It's very hard to talk about "favourite" bands, when there are so many factors to take into account, such as programme, conductor etc. Equally, some bands produce frequent recordings, and others you are only able to hear occasionally.

Black Dyke are definitely one of my favourites, with particular memories of the final concert under James Watson at the Royal Academy of Music, when "Dove descending" (conducted by the composer) was phenomenal, and the Best of Brass in Birmingham a year or so back, when they played "Deep Harmony", with a fantastic bass note between the verses. They are definitely still the benchmark against which I judge the rest.

I've recently been lucky enough to see both Grimethorpe and YBS in concert, and they both put together well-balanced programmes, to challenge as well as entertain.

Sonor

Favourit Bands

Has to be Leyland (although I am biased). There is, in my humble opinion, no other band that entertains as much.

Other than that Desford under James Watson in the late 80's and early 90's. Class act. If you want proof listen to Harmony Music in 1987 and Energy in 1991 (National Finals). And what a bass section; awesome (even more so when I sat behind them).

horn1

My favourites are Dyke and Fodens with Faireys and YBS not far behind. Very little between tham sometimes!!!

faerie

I'd go for B+R... Theyre local (as are Dyke, but never mind...) and Ive seen them playing most and have always enjoyed it, especially combined with big firework displays!

Plus their second euph used to teach me and has done me a few favours, so how can I go for anything else!

deave

Huddersfield Uni Band are the best for me!! Their performance of Santa Claustrophobia at Xmas was truely awe inspiring

CRat63

I must have to agree with you there Deave. That particular performance featured some lovely work in the lower end of the band (mainly the sung ocatave glisses). Can't wait for Blitz and Prague at the first concert-now there will be some playing of tremendous quality.......

CrAtman

(Why am I leaving messages to someone I actually live in the same house with?...hmmm)

Seedhouse

My vote has to be for Cory. They are playing really well at the moment, and deserved to do better at the Open. I also like the way that Bob Child's interprets the pieces he conducts. Such a great chap he is!

PeterBale

Staff member
Seedhouse said:
My vote has to be for Cory. They are playing really well at the moment, and deserved to do better at the Open. I also like the way that Bob Child's interprets the pieces he conducts. Such a great chap he is!

I should really have mentioned Cory in my earlier post. They came down our way a year or so back, doing some master classes with a local band and working with their learners, before giving a joint concert with the training band in the evening. That, surely, is what the spirit of banding is all about. They were also first class at the Best of British Brass concert.

johnflugel

For me it has to be YBS.

I have seen them in rehearsal a few times recently and they just seem to work on a different level. David King seems to work with them like the finest choral conductors would (didn't he major in choral conducting?): vowel sounds, balance, how you shape phrases and 'speak' in solo passages (way past just making it sound pretty)

Absolutely no disrespect to the other 'big' bands as they truly great outfits and I would kill to play with one of them, but in my opinion YBS proved my thoughts above with their 'Open' performance.

John

p.s Dyke, Fodens, B&R, Cory & Faireys are pretty good too!

satchmo shaz

well, the question was favourite band, so of course it's my band ....... Long Eaton Silver Prize band :wink: but best band .... got to be eitherYBS, grimey, Dyke, fodens, etc, cory, they are all VERY good!! 8)

PeterBale

Staff member
Naruco said:
johnflugel said:
(didn't he major in choral conducting?)
I don't know, but Roy Newsome failed him in conducting when he was a pupil at salford :p

. . . rather like the record company that turned down the Beatles, or the film executive who said of Fred Astaire: can't sing, can't, act, can dance a little :wink: :lol: :lol:

drummerboy

Personally, most top bands (ie dyke, cory etc) all have the same (relatively speaking) technical ability. However, for me YBS have it in their sound quality. Especially Iwan Williams on flugel, and the master Peter Roberts. There CD Vitae Lux is proof of this amazing sound.

Has to be Leyland (although I am biased). There is, in my humble opinion, no other band that entertains as much.

Other than that Desford under James Watson in the late 80's and early 90's. Class act. If you want proof listen to Harmony Music in 1987 and Energy in 1991 (National Finals). And what a bass section; awesome (even more so when I sat behind them).

Absolutely spot on!! Having been there at the RAH for the four wins by Desford, and the last win by Leyland a few years ago, the performances stand out , in my humble (and only slightly biased) opinion as near to perfection as I've ever heard! Favourite "other" band? Verwood Training Band of course - enthusiasm personnified!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.