Who is your bands sporting equivalent

Borfeo

Hi all

Newlands Concert brass had their Xmas concert last night, and I was as unprepared as always. So, after much ramblings on about our Trombone player "Mr Fabulous" (Don't ask) and the elegant figure of Tara Fitzgerald miming to Orange juice, I stumbled on the fact that we had won a prize at the recent Borders Contest, exclaiming that we won the 4th section trophy. After spotting their puzzlement, I went on to say that brass band sections can be compared to football league tables, and that Newlands were the football equivalent of EAST FIFE!!!!!

Now, after I recovered from the heckling from the band, it got me think, Brass bands probably do have their sporting equivalent. SO WAHT's YOUR BANDS?

My band is Newlands = East Fife (Coz I've said it once, might as well stick to it)
Thought this might get some people thinking, hehe

Possibly the Wolves?
Just promoted, finished dead last in almost every contest in the top section, going down after one year and looking forward for some success in the 1st section!
Apologies to any Wolves Fans... it's not too late, we're only half through the season!
James Pearson
Jackfield Elcock Reisen Band

Cantonian

West Ham.
Some very good players but not always fit(attending). Can play extremely well but can also play badly.

Tend to raise ourselves to the big occasion but like West Ham last year not always happening nowadays.

Darth_Tuba

Probably Blackburn Rovers for Leyland... lots of cash in the mid 90s yielded big rewards (prem for Blackburn 94/95, Open for BNFL 94). Not picked up much since until a win in a slightly lesser competiton (in that a few top clubs/bands don't bother) in the 2000's (League Cup for Blackburn '02, Masters for Leyland '03). Also both from Lancashire. Best I could come up with :)

johnflugel

We are a Charlton I suppose!

First consolidation in the premier league/championshop section and now pushing towards that illusive champions league/british open appearance. Not a rich band with no real stars but a hardworking young honest team who works its guts out with a well respected no nonsense gaffer.On it's day can really upset the big boys.

John
Rothwell Temps

Steve

We would have to be Wimbledon of the early 90's. Plenty of talent and a lot of hard workers but were always too busy acting like idiots to really give 100% all the time, still has the fair share of success though.

geordiecolin

Mmmmm, Barnsley Building Society Band......

From what I can gather not having been with the band long, solid Section 1 band for many years, gained success and promotion to Championship. Lost best players to better offers from other bands. Failed to replace these players. Relagated to 1st again and then down to 2nd but hoping to bounce straight back up with empty seats now filled.

I think Man City a few years back when they plummeted and then bounced back I think. Pains me to say it but maybe a touch of Scumderland/West Ham too??

MattB

Hmmmm. Littleborough Public Brass Band. I would say............. Doncaster!! And before you say anything Andy, let me explain!!

Much like Donny, LPBB are on their way back up after several years on the slide. The basics are there, a good team spirit and a willingness to fight for the cause, and we are quite a young band (musically).

Donny for promotion to division two? LPBB promotion to 3rd section?

Perhaps the chance to dream..................!

JTKBrass

Oh this is easy ! We'd definitely be Dunfermline Athletic !! Fife's top team!

Co-op and Whitburn are the old firm, with Kirky the Scottish equivalent of Hearts ! Works quite well for Scotland !

The band played at the weekends very easy win over Rang*rs as well :lol: If anyone listened to the pre match chat, Murdo McLeod had to talk up a bit to be heard over the bass trombone rattling round East End Park :D That plastic pitch is excellent for marching on (not that i'd know, I was in my usual seat in the McCathie stand watching the band before the game!)

Only difference between the team and the band is we've been in Europe the last two years !! Oh and we don't have a Vanoli ! He is so great :D

leisa

i think stockport would be man-u juniors cos were near manc, stockport-greater manchester we have faireys nearby who could be man-u cos they keep winnin stuff

Darth_Tuba

leisa said:
i think stockport would be man-u juniors cos were near manc, stockport-greater manchester we have faireys nearby who could be man-u cos they keep winnin stuff

Well, Faireys can be Man U and that'll make BT Man City.

Cornishwomble

Darth_Tuba said:
leisa said:

Yes, but then everybody who played for Faireys would have to live in Hertfordshire and eat prawn sandwiches!

Darth_Tuba

Roy Taylor said:
Darth_Tuba said:
leisa said:

Yes, but then everybody who played for Faireys would have to live in Hertfordshire and eat prawn sandwiches!

Funny you should say that....

Dolly

leisa said:

difference is united juniors win stuff too

uncle eric

hello everyone

saw this earlier.

Dolly said:
leisa said:

1.couldn't quite believe that stockport schools use their influence to steal players trained and matured at other 'bands'
2. when i ran into a couple of fairys supporters they were perfectly nice people, not at all middle managers and sales reps from places like gloucester who wink at you and say things like 'winners support winners' and 'my [insert relative] is from/has always supported them, and always mention when they were in the 2nd divsion
3. don't remember fairys in the second division
4. to my knowledge, theres no member of fairys who has clearly broken competition rules which in any other errm....musical activity would mean an immediate 2 year ban, yet is still likely to play in the open and every other contest until fairys expensive lawyer probably gets him off on some kind of technicality

therefore

i have decided in my new self appointed role as sep blatter (well, all the others were allowed to choose who they were....) i shall for the moment allow fairys to remain as manchester united. but to stop all this quibbling i shall appoint stockport schools as stockport county youth team, and poynton as macclesfield town youth team (based entirely on their geographical location)
now, in my role as president i aim to take time out for tea and biscuits, make sure that the open is staged in africa, and cut the amount of bands in the top section of every area to 6 (to avoid burn out)

seasonal good wishes to you all

an agitated uncle eric

leisa

ok so i know nothing about football no need to rub it in!! :cry:

p.s correct me if im wrong but i do believe stockport schools won the nationals at some point this year

Aidan

Dolly said:
leisa said:

harshness deserves harshness to be fair...

in that case that would make poynton youth acrington stanley then??
Who the Hell are they?!?!
:D

bigmamabadger

Barnton Silver Band - Barnstoneworth United.... :wink:
Seemingly more or less on their knees but can pull a good show out of the bag when really up against it.
BMB
xx