Who are the cornet players with the nicest sound????

soundbythepound

There's many a good little player with a nice big sound on the international pro-cornet scene; Marsalis, Hardenberger etc.

However, for homegrown talent, the cornets of Alliance Brass do wonders with an inherently limited instrument.

beard_4b

Alan Losh - what a guy! 3rd down in ISB has ventured through golden slippers amongst others in his soloist career. He has a immense sound, just spent a week with him at TMS. Top guy, very under-rated!

Also i think john_flugel will agree with me on this one Ian Williams from BAYV!!! :wink:

johnflugel

beard_4b said:
Also i think john_flugel will agree with me on this one Ian Williams from BAYV!!! :wink:

We discussed at length my preferences on sound last week. Anyone who sits on the end of band like BAYV is deserving of the utmost respect.

welshmike

Laura + Gaz,

Thanx for the kind words, I'm very humbled!
It was a pleasure to play with the both of you.

Drinks on me when we next meet!

cornetgirl

sparkling_quavers said:
Nadia said:
you don't need to be a 'good' player to have a nice sound... although you will never be a 'good' player without one.

well put aidan! You can work on the technical stuff all you like but if you don't have the sound quality then you are never going to be a 'great' player.

hotlips: I've played/listened to many a 'non-famous' band with fantastic soloists- nobody has heard of them, not a big name- doesn't mean they don't have a great sound.

Couldn't agree more!

Rach x

jim

Re: nicest cornet sound

bandsman12uk said:
nigel guy ex cory now with btm . i heared nigel play some lovely solo over the year .even as a little boy when is dad was conducting him at ynyshir .but he sings out my love is like a red red rose
Add another fifty bands to that!! Flowers,Tredegar,Parc & Dare,Point of Air, hes done it at all these bands and more! just listen to him playing Freedom on the europeans cd in '97 just awsome, so natural, just a shame he is only playing rep these days perhaps a bit of a waist, Im sure he will be back playing on the end for somewon again in the futer.

Vibber

my vote goes to mark wilkinson, fantastic player and sound (4bars rest thought the same after the masters)

Mark Wilkinson was the pick of the Principal Cornets on the day with a superbly restrained Largo solo at the correct piano dynamic which led to some of the quietest playing of the day. :lol:

nickjones

Re: nicest cornet sound

jim said:
bandsman12uk said:
nigel guy ex cory now with btm . i heared nigel play some lovely solo over the year .even as a little boy when is dad was conducting him at ynyshir .but he sings out my love is like a red red rose
Add another fifty bands to that!! Flowers,Tredegar,Parc & Dare,Point of Air, hes done it at all these bands and more! just listen to him playing Freedom on the europeans cd in '97 just awsome, so natural, just a shame he is only playing rep these days perhaps a bit of a waist, Im sure he will be back playing on the end for somewon again in the futer.

Yes he and Jeff Fear played at Point of Ayr for a year when Jim Davies was principal cornet ( late 1980's ) he played rep back then,
I dont think it's a waste of talent having a good cornet player on rep , shows how strong your cornet section is really.
I dont know if he will be sitting as a principal cornet in the future , depends on how much a band is willing to pay.

Cornet players with nicest sound?

Ithink it's about time nickjbeaumaris band gave us a list of 10 Welsh,or of Welsh extraction/influence,cornet players all with lovely sound.There must be enough presently playing to form a whole section.Is it the air,or what?
By the way I rarely, if ever drink alcohol,so the proferred pint will be wasted on me[what a wind-up for the boozers].Still the offer was nice.
Spanky

nickjones

Re: Cornet players with nicest sound?

Spanky Rear said:
Ithink it's about time nickjbeaumaris band gave us a list of 10 Welsh,or of Welsh extraction/influence,cornet players all with lovely sound.There must be enough presently playing to form a whole section.Is it the air,or what?
By the way I rarely, if ever drink alcohol,so the proferred pint will be wasted on me[what a wind-up for the boozers].Still the offer was nice.
Spanky

Blimey I didnt say what Pint I would get...pint of water , coke , redbull etc..
I think I have given a welsh band ( home nation band thread) , will that do ,I am not that technical minded to link the thread...sorry :oops:
Anyone who supports beaumaris band is due a bit of respect and a drink or two...

Cornet players with nicest sound?

Fair enough nickj.The boozers will be pleased at the thought of yet another pint 'waiting' for them!? Mind you the pints of water won't come cheap at RAH.
Spanky

nickjones

Your welcome...anyone who supports the band deserves a drink..like I said come on over when you see the band , and will get one in...

nickjones

Which unfortunatly does not qualify you for the special offer "once every twenty years Jonesy drink purchase"
sorry amigo.. :wink:

nickjones

its a wallet...and I am not tightfisted..just careful.
while back on topic...any thoughts on sweet sounding cornet players Alex? :lol: