Who are the cornet players with the nicest sound????

sionowz

Just thought id post this question.....theres prob a huge thread already for it...but i couldnt find it!! Who has the nicest sound in the business?? Any one out there who knows of an un-known player with a nice tone??? My principle (chris Jenkins) in Ammanford Town Band has one of the sweetest tones i've ever heard!!!!

sparkling_quavers

For me David Daws has the best sound

As for the non-famous- Leisa Mallalieu (on tMP as Leisa) has a beautiful sound. Leisa is shortly leaving Flixton to go to University in Hudds :cry: :cry:

johnflugel

I am a massive fan of Stuart Lingard from YBS at the moment. He has the sweetest sound, lots of vib but it never sounds out of control like others for me.

Another guy who is at the other end of the scale is Phillip Smith. Think he is now principal of the New York Phil, but was originally a cornet player with a strong SA background (his Dad was NYSB conductor for years). He still produces regular solo CD's and plays cornet on a number of tracks. His sound is so fat and warm but yet still bright (without the 'edge' that only a trumpet itself can give). I have a tape of him doing 'Song of Exulation' and it is immense, the very best renedition of it I have heard. He also recorded Ball's 'Glory to his Name' recently and it is so stylish, a real lesson in how to shape a variation solo.

Sure World of Brass will have some of his recordings if anyone wanted to hear more.

Ali

I have to nominate Laura Hirst from Dobx. Fantastic player with a beautiful warm sound. She was one of the semi finalists for the Young Brass Player of the year last year so she cant be bad!!!

johnflugel

Another name, perhaps not familiar to people outside the SA is Keith Hutchinson. He was principal of Enfield Citadel for a number of years. I know David Dawes points to a number of influences and people who have inspired him, but he sat 2nd man to Keith for a while and can't help but think David would have been influenced by his style and leadership of the section. Unfortunately, I am too young to have seen him perform live but from hearing recordings and stories from people who knew and heard him suggests to me he was a very special player.

boneman0970

Well I personally think Kirsty Abbotts has the best sound on cornet.

One year at Brass In Concert Kirsty played MEDITATION from THAIS.
The sound Kirsty produced was well ,I could fill the screen with superlatives .
Myself and the audience were captivated.The audiences appreciation showed Kirsty how much we had enjoyed it as I'm sure she received the longest applause of the day and rightly so.But unfortunately those cursed Adjudicators didn't think so :(

I think a CD would be great from this talented Musician :tup

noddy

sionowz said:
Just thought id post this question.....theres prob a huge thread already for it...but i couldnt find it!! Who has the nicest sound in the business?? Any one out there who knows of an un-known player with a nice tone??? My principle (chris Jenkins) in Ammanford Town Band has one of the sweetest tones i've ever heard!!!!

Ian Porthouse has a nice sound as has Philip McCann, Roger Webster. What about Nick Walkley the new principal of Faireys??? He's got a lovely CORNET sound?? :dunno

Okiedokie of Oz

johnflugel said:
Another guy who is at the other end of the scale is Phillip Smith. Think he is now principal of the New York Phil, but was originally a cornet player with a strong SA background (his Dad was NYSB conductor for years). He still produces regular solo CD's and plays cornet on a number of tracks. His sound is so fat and warm but yet still bright (without the 'edge' that only a trumpet itself can give). I have a tape of him doing 'Song of Exulation' and it is immense, the very best renedition of it I have heard. He also recorded Ball's 'Glory to his Name' recently and it is so stylish, a real lesson in how to shape a variation solo.

Australian Band World has had a massive ad in the ir magazine for the last few months about Phillips Cd and new range of solo publications. Never heard him play. In fact, to be honest, until Sunday I had never heard a superb cornet player live. I've heard some really good ones, Edward Kennedy (Sth Brisbane Feds), Lorelle McCabe (Cap Silver), Brian Anderson (former GMB - now unknown) and a buddy of mine from uni, James Deaves.

jo

boneman0970 said:
Well I personally think Kirsty Abbotts has the best sound on cornet.
I think a CD would be great from this talented Musician :tup

the inside information says watch this space!!!!

DublinBass

Supporting Member
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Roger :? He's so smooth!!

(I do like David Dawes and Philip Smith too! 8) )

PAC

From todays crop, I would have to say I have always enjoyed Brian Taylor's sound. It is effortless and very pure.

One of the very best cornet sounds has to be Dave Richardson over at Glossop - class on a stick!

Looking back over time, the cornet God, Jimmy Sheperd, still has it for me.

NAS

Im going to say Leon Renillson (Ex Leyland), and Ian Porthouse (Ex Faireys). Playing in the same bands as these guys was an absolute pleasure :D .

Hot Lips

Best sounds

I have to agree that Kirsty Abbots has one of the best sounds around. I had the privilege of being her bumper for a long time and I felt like a fog- horn in comparison!!

Thanks Hot Lips

Not so bad yourself! Sat in a internet cafe in Vienna with Nick and did you know on a keyboard out here the y is where the z should be! Whats that all about?

Heather

It's not just because he plays for us but Andy Welsh is an absolutely amazing cornet player...technically fantastic with the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.