Whit Friday

kennywenny

Agreed. Heard Milnrow at Delph and thought they were excellent. Lovely cornet playing ... Who was it? (A lady)

Hi, our PC is Hayley Moore... She is a very fine player with an amazing sound.she has one of the nicest cornet sounds I have ever heard... Up there with the best in my opinion

tallyman

Aahh your complaint is about "Runners" a fine whit Friday tradition! BUT the rules are (at Delph) -

2 - Bands signed in and ready to play when asked.
4 - final signing in - 10:30pm

Nowt about sticking to an assigned place number.

And as a listener would I have been disappointed if they weren't there? Yes I would.

Also at the ring you cant 'see' the registration area so my statement was true - "...no rules that I could see..."
Well done sir, your powers of observation and deduction are only matched by prowess as a bass player and your morals !! An ambassador for fair play and a high interlect you sir have it all.

mjwarman

The military band presumably left the woodwind and french horns at the barracks to become a brass band, they gave impeccable deportment displays (Cheshire Constabulary were noticeable this year by their absence, a band that has rightly carried off most of the deportment prizes in past years).

The British Army Kings Division are a Brass band so they would have passed the french horns and woodwind (bonfire?) over to the other Army bands.......

Beesa

Ah..I should have looked them up: https://www.facebook.com/kingsdivband?fref=photo

The band really did add another dimension to the proceedings

. 2015-05-29-10541.jpg

.....and then such as Thriller Brass
2015-05-29-10546.jpg

Presumably these zombie like fellows are eating packets of human flesh. That's what zombies eat you know.

Beesa

Bbmad, thank you for pointing that out. There is much documented on the internet about the feeding habits of zombies, and it would appear that flesh, a chunk of human leg for example, is a preferred quick source of nourishment for the undead. Apparently brains are a good resource of serotonim so maybe that is them eating for enjoyment.

The zombie thriller brass band added yet another unusual dimension to this year's events. I saw them at various places. Delph was a good'un with the occasional marcher breaking his cover to look for something to eat in the crowd.

Here's a pic. I think this is a real zombie.

2015-05-29-10554.jpg

P_S_Price

Well done sir, your powers of observation and deduction are only matched by prowess as a bass player and your morals !! An ambassador for fair play and a high interlect you sir have it all.

With the disqualification I Guess then that 2 DOES mean sticking to an assigned place number.

Still enjoyed hearing them though, and Based on where the Ring is I would have to have the X-RAy eyes of Superman to see the infraction. All we see at the ring is the board with the number, band and march. There was no indication at all in the ring of the controversy to come. Whereas Thriller obviously broke the rules in the ring.

Runners though are a WF tradition and Dyke wont be on their own in using them you can bet.

P_S_Price

BTW you dont know me from Adam, and at no point did I personally abuse you.

You are the classic reason why I use this site less and less.

I stated what I saw, heard and read in the delph proramme.

So did you state what you saw and heard.
Your interpretation and viewpoint was accurate; mine was not.

Full marks to you, But does that qualify me for personal sarcastic abuse?

People need to Judge the Morals of that for themselves.

Blagger

BTW you dont know me from Adam, and at no point did I personally abuse you.

You are the classic reason why I use this site less and less.

I stated what I saw, heard and read in the delph proramme.

So did you state what you saw and heard.
Your interpretation and viewpoint was accurate; mine was not.

Full marks to you, But does that qualify me for personal sarcastic abuse?

People need to Judge the Morals of that for themselves.

Let's treat him/her like the anonymous person he is...... people like him or her need to be ignored. I'm as guilty as you are of rising to his bait but there are enough decent real people on this site :)
I can see who you are. U can look me up on our website(if u can be bothered LOL). .... Can't see anything about him or her though.... Funny that.... :D

Beesa

I travelled a few hundred miles just for this day. It was brilliant from the morning until the end (and that was 3 minutes past midnight at Delph, although the police were ready to pull the plug on the last band at 10 seconds past!). What really made it was seeing Black Dyke and their trophys, and joining in behind them marching down King Street followed by their ever brilliant performance and the atmosphere at the club when they played. OK, so the band may have lost out on a prize (£££) at Delph, which was unfortunate, but I hope the band sees more to Whit Friday than the cash.

a 2015-05-29-10596.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-05-29-10597.jpg
    2015-05-29-10597.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 237

WhatSharp?

Just a thought..Why do the organisers simply not register bands on the coach? Stops all the runner malarkey and ensures the band are actually present.

hobgoblin

Meanwhile in another coup for impartial and objective journalism 4br decides to publish this random article in responce to Dykes latest disqualification fiasco! http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2015/1508.asp

owain_s

Just a thought..Why do the organisers simply not register bands on the coach? Stops all the runner malarkey and ensures the band are actually present.
Two problems: organisers not necessarily getting to the coaches in the order they arrive (not all venues create a logical queue of vehicles), and potential safety issues with coach drivers encouraged to get in front of one another.

Mr Malone

This is my first post on TMP for years, but I thought I would comment on this thread. I was fortunate to play at the Whits with Bideford Town Band, who made the long journey to Saddleworth to experience the Whits. Black Dyke directly followed Bideford at three venues. After we played, Nick Childs made a point of congratulating our MD, and also praised individual players. Black Dyke members also had compliments and words of encouragement to Bideford Band. What a great welcome from this great band, and from Nick Childs, who is, genuinely, a nice guy. I can only speak as I find. Black Dyke followed Bideford 3 times,: no pushing, or name dropping, no arrogance, and certainly no "majestic sweeping".

Why some members on this site feel it necessary to be quite nasty about such a great band and MD is beyond me. Why the personal comments about Nick Childs? Sure, a mistake was made at Delph, and has been dealt with. Why the nasty comments? Can we now please end this? Bideford Town Band thoroughly enjoyed the night, which was made better by the support of Black Dyke Band and Nick Childs.

Mr Malone
Wharfedale

Blagger

Can anybody tell me where the full tameside results are? All I can find is the pdf of 2014
Why do they take so long??

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.