Whit Friday Saddleworth Results

Bayerd

TheCheshireCat said:
A big CONGRATULATIONS to Marsden:clap: :clap: for there excellent 2nd Place overall in Saddleworth.

All the more amazing as they played first at Greenacres (4.00 p.m) and last at Delph (12.40 a.m).

This after playing in the morning marches in Uppermill ,along with Diggle they have the longest march into Uppermill centre, then they played for the service in the park, no mean feat when you consider the temperature on Friday. This also meant they missed the traditional pint in Uppermill Con!!:frown:

All the bands taking part in the morning marches need congratulating as they all put up a good show and performed well on the night.:clap:

Hear, hear

One hell of a feat indeed.

lucretia

Di said:
Do you also have any contact details Francis? Any chance you could let them know their web site is down?
Actually, it appears that their site is OK for some people - our DNS server has no entry for the site, but a friend is still able to see the site (maybe the DNS is cached?).

Anyway, I've got the file now.

JANUARYMAN

Great night had once again by Hepworth 'Lanson Homes' Band, even though we were frustratingly held up with delays all night!!

The gods were against us from the off when we had to pull over due to smoke filling the bus whilst on the tops from Holmfirth to Saddleworth! We thought we had a fire, but after evacuating and inspecting the bus, we put it down to dodgy air con and carried on as a mobile sauna without the blowers on!

Most frustrating was having booked in at Delph we were looking forward to putting everything into one last performance, however, after waiting an eternity, we were then told we could not play by the police. Not sure if this effected any other bands?

To us it meant no 6th contest and no qulaification for the overall prizes. As it turned out, we were on good form with DobX 1, Greenfield 1, Lees 2, Scouthead 2 and Uppermill 2, so it would have been interesting had we had the opportunity to play.

Congrats to all the prize winners, especially the six fingered crew from the Clone Valley!

timbloke

Ah, so the smoke was from your bus. We were sat behind you whilst picking up some extra players at the chequers? pub as you get to greenfield, you were in front and there was a lot of smoke, I thought it was our bus struggling with the heat and steep descent from the top.

Pythagoras said:
Denshaw 53/53
Delph 52/75 (NOT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!)
Lees 51/51
Scouthead 65/65

Daniel, I notice from the photos at Delph that your drummer was on the stand, was he playing in the contest march, and if so, could that explain the results!? As a general question, what happens if people do use a drummer on the stand? Has anyone ever done that?

Pythagoras

timbloke said:
Ah, so the smoke was from your bus. We were sat behind you whilst picking up some extra players at the chequers? pub as you get to greenfield, you were in front and there was a lot of smoke, I thought it was our bus struggling with the heat and steep descent from the top.

Daniel, I notice from the photos at Delph that your drummer was on the stand, was he playing in the contest march, and if so, could that explain the results!? As a general question, what happens if people do use a drummer on the stand? Has anyone ever done that?

He was not playing. Not sure what he was doing on the stand.

drummergurl

ARRRGH im famous!

if anyone got a programme in delph.. im the one on the middle pages, on the right, takin a picture.. from rainford band (i don't normally play with them btw)

Cornishwomble

TheCheshireCat said:
A big CONGRATULATIONS to Marsden:clap: :clap: for there excellent 2nd Place overall in Saddleworth.

All the more amazing as they played first at Greenacres (4.00 p.m) and last at Delph (12.40 a.m).

This after playing in the morning marches in Uppermill ,along with Diggle they have the longest march into Uppermill centre, then they played for the service in the park, no mean feat when you consider the temperature on Friday. This also meant they missed the traditional pint in Uppermill Con!!:frown:

All the bands taking part in the morning marches need congratulating as they all put up a good show and performed well on the night.:clap:

I certainly knew I'd done it by the end of the day! :frown:

It was a brilliant day out and under Geoff Whitham the band was inspired, I thought the best atmosphere for us on the night was at Dobcross :tup, however beating Brighouse and Fodens at Delph really put the icing on the cake!

Roll on next year!

Dave Euph

Our results:

Delph: 45/75 (not great but nevermind)
Greenfield: 20/62
Grotten: 20/48
Lydgate: 12/57
Dobcross: 7/57 (!)

So overall the Delph was a funny blip (we though we played well but what do we know eh?) and we couldn't quite squeeze a sixth one to get in the overal rankings. But pleased nevertheless.

Colin D

Hi,

Would just like to say a big thank you to anybody who came up and said congratulations to my fiance and I as we stumbled around the circuit with Henstag Brass. I have no idea who any of you were, but there were plenty of comments along the line of "We heard about you on the Mouthpiece...". Purposefully stuck to the "big" venues, although did come across a Mary Celeste-like Lydgate at abut 8:45!

Sadly we didn't get to meet the Greenalls wedding party. Hope you lot had as good a time as we did!

Col

BbBill

Supporting Member
Tartan Brass were 28th out of 40 in the overall results!!

Lees 40th out of 51 bands
Grotton 13th out of 48 bands
Lydgate 35th out of 57 bands
Uppermill 38th out of 57 bands
Dobcross 31st out of 57 bands
Delph 59th out of 75 bands

Not bad considering the amount we drank the nite before and during the day....!!!!
We had a good time, enjoyed ourselves and that was the main thing!!

Colin D said:
Hi,

Would just like to say a big thank you to anybody who came up and said congratulations to my fiance and I as we stumbled around the circuit with Henstag Brass. I have no idea who any of you were, but there were plenty of comments along the line of "We heard about you on the Mouthpiece...". Purposefully stuck to the "big" venues, although did come across a Mary Celeste-like Lydgate at abut 8:45!

Sadly we didn't get to meet the Greenalls wedding party. Hope you lot had as good a time as we did!

Col

I was hoping to see you lot out and about on Friday, but it wasn't to be. Congratumalations anyway!

Nick (ex Shirebrook Bass Trom)

BbBill

Supporting Member
I see the 4brs retrospective of Whit Friday is on now, http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2006/art599.asp, good write up!

Theres a good photo of the Greenalls wedding party and also 1 of Danny Sinclair from Dyke in a kilt, (Im the other bass player next to him btw!!) He borrowed the kilt off one of our players en-route from Uppermill to Dobcross, which was so funny when he was trying to change on the bus!!

Griffin

Dave Euph said:
Our results:

Delph: 45/75 (not great but nevermind)
Greenfield: 20/62
Grotten: 20/48
Lydgate: 12/57
Dobcross: 7/57 (!)

So overall the Delph was a funny blip (we though we played well but what do we know eh?) and we couldn't quite squeeze a sixth one to get in the overal rankings. But pleased nevertheless.
Tis a bit of a strange one cos we were all completly sober for that one!
I know I was well on me way at Grotten, and quite ****ed when we got to Greenfield!
was a good laugh tho...:tup

Griffin said:
Tis a bit of a strange one cos we were all completly sober for that one!
I know I was well on me way at Grotten, and quite ****ed when we got to Greenfield!
was a good laugh tho...:tup

We all said a few :guiness wouldn't make any difference!! Ahh well it was a very memorable whit friday anyway!
So gutted I didn't get to see you Col and B and also play with you, but i was told i couldn't hehe but i'm glad you had an ace time.
And as for Mick- getting a cheeky last pint in at Greenfield whilst us losers pack our stuff away first- good call my friend!! :clap:
And I couldn't decide whether Dave was drunk or not...

Dave Euph

Lol, a mixture of feeling a little run-down and a few pints, I was probably about there by the time I left the Bayhorse! But no hangover, so it can't have been that bad. :)

If we'd got another one in we may have come reasonably high in the overall rankings! But nevermind, we just seemed to catch the queues after getting in at Delph early!