Whit Friday Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoominDave

I am studying opinions as to the effect of the internet news sites on the genereal public, I plan to write a study of the internet as a whole. The reason for the post was to gague peoples perceptions of the reporting style of particular websites. (I have been looking at other forums and posting the same type of comment and seeing their responses)

The whit friday 'debate' was perfect for this and I used some of you as an experiment.

This is a pretty peculiar way to conduct a study -
i) You've only obtained a few responses. You need 'many' (100 would be more like it) to meaningfully make statistics and draw comparison.
ii) The main result of the way you've gone about it has been to make people annoyed with you. It was obvious from the moment you posted your initial comments that this would happen. Indeed, so unsophisticated did your post seem that there was a good chance that you were simply trolling - and you don't want the people who run sites like this to think that, surely, because then you would be blocked from using the sites in question.
iii) As a result of (ii), you've introduced a strong biassing effect into the responses - people have focussed on responding to you, not on the subject that you want them to be stirred up about.

A much better way to run it would be to be totally upfront about it - create a thread, state what you're trying to do in the first post, set things going with a "controversial" comment or two (you may have to stir a little more than that to generate momentum), then sit back and wait for the thread to take on its own identity as the discussion develops. Then you won't have the nasty residual effects that you've generated here that render your 'data' worthless.
I'd leave it a little while before trying this if I were you - long enough for people to forget this episode. You may get a large volume of responses, or you may get a small number - but you're guaranteed to get at least as many as you did here before you called time on your experiment.

BbBill

Supporting Member
I thought whits were good this year, i actually managed to see quite a few mates (one VERY drunk Lauradoll!) and it was nice to see such a mix of bands out...
I even saw a true scottsman- Willie, with tartan brass '07... and he WAS a true scottsman...must've been a bit cold for him :)

xxxx

Aye, and you were very quick to whip up the front of my kilt without asking as well Michelle!!! ;)

PowerRanger

Spineless? Is that what you think of Malcolm Wood? You should be ashamed of yourself Mr Poulston of Brighouse & Rastrick Band.

What a very very sad post Mr Simon Gresswell :( (from a band who shall remain nameless, because it's your personal opinion)

Haven't lost your wooden spoon then!!! :rolleyes:

tubaloopy

What a very very sad post Mr Simon Gresswell :( (from a band who shall remain nameless, because it's your personal opinion)

Haven't lost your wooden spoon then!!! :rolleyes:

Bit naughty that.
Mr Poulston posts under his own name and has his current band in his signature.
Hove Edge does not.
I notice you value your anonimity, PowerRanger.
Would you like me to tell everyone who you are?

Di

Bit naughty that.
Mr Poulston posts under his own name and has his current band in his signature.
Hove Edge does not.
I notice you value your anonimity, PowerRanger.
Would you like me to tell everyone who you are?

Hove Edge may not display his name/band in his signature, but HAS given both band and name openly elsewhere on the forum.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/show...601#post541601

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/show...205#post460205

Having said that, can we all please move on and leave the "personals" behind now?

Thank you. ;)

Having said that, can we all please move on and leave the "personals" behind now?

Thank you. ;)

As a moderator, I was hoping that either yourself, a different moderator, or all of you would be taking some kind of action here. So far, none of you seem to have made comment on the behaviour of an individual - seeming that maybe you agree, or at least, on this subject, are willing to turn a blind eye. So, no thank you - why should we leave it? Or are attacks on indivduals now aloud on this forum - if so, please let me know.

A friend of mine, and a friend of many in the movement, has been publicly attacked, and deserves an apology in an equally public manner. Up to now, Jason doesn't seem to have had the decency to apologise for his remarks, although he has posted other comments on the thread.

Also, let's be honest with each other here - his "study" probably doesn't exist, if it does, this part of it won't be worth the paper it was written on.

From Jason's "Offical website" (Really - check it out! Although I didn't have much luck finding the unoffical site!), I note that he is a teacher. I have always thought that teachers should be people that young persons look up to, and learn how to behave from. Is this behaviour something to look up to?

I'll answer. No.

All I'm asking for is a little humility - not some half baked idea of an apology to all concerned - there is one person you singled out - apologise to him.

BbBill

Supporting Member
Ach, could everybody just pick up their toys, and climb back into their prams please....!!!

Give it a rest, Im not even bothering to read all the full posts now, its getting that boring.

But your right Peter, he should at least apologise and that particular discussion in this thread should be ended.

Ach, could everybody just pick up their toys, and climb back into their prams please....!!!

Give it a rest, Im not even bothering to read all the full posts now, its getting that boring.

But your right Peter, he should at least apologise and that particular discussion in this thread should be ended.

That's all that is required - I don't think it's beyond the call of human decency to apologise for the comments he made, and that is all that I'm asking for (And I don't appear to be the only one).

Of course, you have the basic human right to choose to read a post or not - as you are exercising already it seems - however, I think that if something is important to someone, then they should be able to say it, no matter how wrong or right it may be in your, or anyone elses, eyes.

oddbod

I am studying opinions as to the effect of the internet news sites on the genereal public, I plan to write a study of the internet as a whole. The reason for the post was to gague peoples perceptions of the reporting style of particular websites. (I have been looking at other forums and posting the same type of comment and seeing their responses)

The whit friday 'debate' was perfect for this and I used some of you as an experiment. If I had just stuck a post on here saying please comment on the reporting style of 4br I wouldnt have got much more than a few words, however by taking this approach it put the 'cat among the pigeons' and I got some very good replies.

So - we can all call everyone from a pig to a dog.. and then, when we realize that we have probably been a total idiot- we can write and say - Hah! I was just testing you all -

hah! - and we all believe you.

Gedda life.

Kiz7

What an immature mess this thread has become. I had pointed my 10 year old child to it as she took part in her first Whit Friday's this year but, she read through a bit of it and frankly was bored with the bickering!

Back to the topic..........

Congratulations to EVERYONE who came in the prizes at Whit Friday, I am sure you all deserved them.

My daughter and i had a great time and would like to thank all of the tmp band members who made us feels SO welcome.

Kristyann (and Rhiannon) Symonds
No user name to hide behind
No band to embarrass etc etc

2nd man down

Staff member
Of course, you have the basic human right to choose to read a post or not - as you are exercising already it seems - however, I think that if something is important to someone, then they should be able to say it, no matter how wrong or right it may be in your, or anyone elses, eyes.

Just playing devils advocate here, and please don't think for a minute I'm condoning what was said by about the 4br reporter , I don't happen to agree with the way it was done either, but I have to say, you're comment above kind of excuses the way he behaved himself. He has a right to his opinion, whether it be right or wrong in the eyes of the majority.

Now, can we please move on and get back on to the topic of the thread and leave the debate about apologies for elsewhere, because it's quite clear it's not going to happen.

Personally speaking we had a brilliant night by our standards, bumped in to the tMP band at Lydgate at long last, and came away with 5 prizes on the night (at least I think it was 5, do you get a prize for 3rd place in the 3rd section at Scouthead??). Well anyway, we were listed on the Saddleworth webby 5 times, that's good enough for me! :tongue: :biggrin:

Just playing devils advocate here, and please don't think for a minute I'm condoning what was said by about the 4br reporter , I don't happen to agree with the way it was done either, but I have to say, you're comment above kind of excuses the way he behaved himself. He has a right to his opinion, whether it be right or wrong in the eyes of the majority.

What an ill thoughout post this is. Very poor.

The thing is, you're right. Except, you're not. You couldn't be more wrong.

Freedom of speech is a basic human right. However, those of us in the world who are lucky enough to have the opportunity to express ourselves through free speech have a responsibility to behave correctly, and treat it with the respect it deserves. There are a set of rules to be obided by, a line that shouldn't be crossed.

An example:

The basic right to free speech should never be used to abuse someone on the grounds of race or religion.

Play "devils advocate" with that. I dare you.

You have taken my words at a very literal meaning - I didn't expect this off a peer of the site - a moderator.

Please, don't patronise me by saying I excuse one human making unfair, and inexcussable, remarks by advocating my, and anyone elses, right to free speech.

If this is your idea of free speech, I believe China, or North Korea, are nice at this time of year.

And the idea of "...right or wrong in the eyes of the majority..." - you really should check the constitution of the country.

What a joke.

to sum this thread up:

I think scratch bands should be allowed at Whit Friday.

Couldn't agree more - have had more than a couple of great days out with scratch bands - and the crowds always seemed to love them a lot more than a lot of the bands at the contest!

toby hobson

and the crowds always seemed to love them a lot more than a lot of the bands at the contest!

mmmmm, no doubt the very same people who buy Rhiana albums, watch big brother and vote for the X factor final in larger numbers than than the General election. It would be a shame if banding was to get "dumbed down" like many other things in this once astute country.

MickM

Couldn't agree more - have had more than a couple of great days out with scratch bands - and the crowds always seemed to love them a lot more than a lot of the bands at the contest!

Also agree........

Having done the serious side of whit friday for 30+ years, i was invited to play with a scratch band (chav Brass) - Guess what? - I had a BALL!!!

Having experienced both the serious and non serious side (although we did take it seriously on the stand), long may it continue. :D

One of my highlights of the evening was RNCM Brass at Delph. FANTASTIC!!
What a atmosphere!!! :clap:

cornetshell

I was very jealous that chav brass got to wear UV glowy things! Doog looked stunning, glowy bracelot, necklace, Cap and medalion! nevermind his Chava clothes.

And i must say, Aidan you didnt look out of place dressed like that, were you a chav in a former life? it almost suited you!

x

Anonymous_user

Mr Power Ranger whoever you are! It does say my Band on the profie. In several posts I have made on this forum I offer my Full name so I dont hide like you!

I know Malcolm Wood and class him as a friend. To have him called spineless by someone like Jason for whatever reason is uncalled for and IMHO not what this forum is about.

Wooden spoon? Yes if thats what you want to call free speech

Hove Edge
C/o
Simon Gresswell
2nd Eb Tuba
Age 42
YBS Band
07920 446519
27 Half House Lane
Hove Edge
Brighouse
HD6 2PH

Pet Hates......People who hide .....faceless people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Product tMP members are discussing