Whit Friday Results 2012

yoda

- if Mr Lyons and his colleagues at other venues could have seen the kids in our band - still in tears after the rollicking the MD gave them on the bus, and the elderley horn player staggering and gasping for life in the ff passages I'm sure we would have come a bit higher.

Maybe you should look at the medieval people skills of your MD...................!! Kids being made cry because the were trying their best...............!!

amazing

jockinafrock

This whole fiasco highlights the need for open adjudication - if Mr Lyons and his colleagues at other venues could have seen the kids in our band - still in tears after the rollicking the MD gave them on the bus, and the elderley horn player staggering and gasping for life in the ff passages I'm sure we would have come a bit higher.

Knowing Mr Lyons, I think he would've made some form of official complaint regarding the treatment of minors in the band, and sent for the St John's Ambulance Brigade for the poor old horn player, rather than bothering about whether he had upset someone by not placing them... :roll:

MoominDave

How can any one of you not be catching on that hobgoblin is trolling you? Very successfully too, despite the so-obviously made-up bait. I mean, for goodness' sake, they even advertise it in their choice of username...

Anno Draconis

if Mr Lyons and his colleagues at other venues could have seen the kids in our band - still in tears after the rollicking the MD gave them on the bus, and the elderley horn player staggering and gasping for life in the ff passages I'm sure we would have come a bit higher.

I assumed that they were in tears at Denton for the same reason I was - they'd tried one of the burgers...

With respect, banding is banding, you win some you loose some, I agree totally with closed adjudication - even with closed adjudication the likes of Fodens, Dyke, Brighouse still come out on top so it shows that it is based on what the adjudicators hear, not what they see (with the exception of deportment) but isn't that what bandings about? Sound, intonation etc.? And as a young player myself, I really disagree with giving younger players a "rollicking" as it does no good in most cases, just scares younger players and they end up not respecting the MD but in effect fearing them, as I know from a personal experience.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
Anyone who has to scream at a young player to get results is doing something very wrong. It's the sort of thing newbies do, or tyrants or trolls. I prefer bribery, myself. Taking the band to Venice for three days seems to help get the best out of them the rest of the year! :)

P_S_Price

...Fodens, Dyke, Brighouse still come out on top so it shows that it is based on what the adjudicators hear, not what they see ..

However these Bands all have their own Style and Sound. You can usually tell which top band is which if you hear them long enough (apart form the usual on Whit Friday - Dyke always play Knight T - Fodens always The President etc etc).

I would be very suprised if the man in the Box hearing Dyke start up KT doesnt know that it is actually Dyke (and at Delph their cornet player split a note and they still won).

jockinafrock

How can any one of you not be catching on that hobgoblin is trolling you? Very successfully too, despite the so-obviously made-up bait. I mean, for goodness' sake, they even advertise it in their choice of username...

Caught on to this one months ago, but still like to give our 2 pennies worth ;-) Maybe there should be a new rule where bands can't play the same march in consecutive years? :shock: