Whit Friday contests under threat

Anno Draconis

No more than I would have expected from the UK's worst police force. Too busy letting crims go free, I imagine.

Time to start writing more letters in green ink. Anyone got Sue Perkins' email address? ;)

themusicalrentboy

or, how about the quoted 130 or so bands get together and just do it anyway? What would the rozzers do, lock all the players and committee up?

_si

Why dont we all agree to play 'we shall not be moved' as the street march this year in protest.....
After 130 versions of that they might listen!

strongbow

Absolutely ****** typical of councillors. Wonder if they will be stopping the church procession in the morning as this closes main road?

Anno Draconis

On closer inspection, it turns out that what the fuzz have actually done is wash their hands of it, as they have done with traffic policing across the GMP area - you try finding a traffic cop round here - and left the council to deal with road closures (never mind that this is clearly an abdication of responsibility for public safety). In typical mealy-mouthed fashion, instead of holding the GMP to account via the GMPA Oldham Council have simply said they won't close any roads.

GMP carefully make it quite difficult to complain, but Oldham Council have a page where you can rip into them, should you wish - link here. This is what I've just sent them...

I am appalled to learn from the Oldham Chronicle website that Oldham Council plans to refuse to close roads for some of the annual Whit Friday brass band contests, thereby threatening the existence of a 125 year old tradition. Whit Friday brings thousands of visitors to Saddleworth, staying in local hotels, eating and drinking in local establishments for a celebration of one of the world's greatest folk music traditions, and is world famous. I urge you to reconsider this ill-thought out policy decision immediately. I note that there was no problem closing roads for last summer's Mayoral parade, led by Dobcross Youth Band! It would seem that brass bands are useful when you have an inportant civic event to mark, but an inconvenience at other times.

However, as I'm not an Oldham council taxpayer, I don't expect a response - if you do happen to live in OMBC can I recommend you hassle your councillor, their phone numbers are here. After all, that's what they're there for :rolleyes:

SaddLad

Does this mean the Beer Walk the day after will also be brought to a halt? And the parade through Uppermill for the switching on of the Christmas lights? And Remembrance Day parades? More likely the first cynical shots before a proposal to impose charges on contest organisers for policing in the same way football clubs are now billed.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
But of course, there's never any trouble at the Whit Walks - at least, not caused by the bandsmen. Usually it's the drunken children and yobbish louts that live in some of these villages now that the original villagers are being pushed out by townies!

Frontman

But of course, there's never any trouble at the Whit Walks - at least, not caused by the bandsmen. Usually it's the drunken children and yobbish louts that live in some of these villages now that the original villagers are being pushed out by townies!

And I take it that you will have first hand knowledge of this Mike, But then again you live in Bolton.

Musical Director of a Saddlworth Band and a resident of this wonderful area.

David Mann

Does this mean the Beer Walk the day after will also be brought to a halt? And the parade through Uppermill for the switching on of the Christmas lights? And Remembrance Day parades? More likely the first cynical shots before a proposal to impose charges on contest organisers for policing in the same way football clubs are now billed.

"They" stopped the Gloucester cheese rolling, so I suppose anything is possible.

Mrs Horn

It was our first trip out to the Whit Fridays last year in quite a few years. I was appalled at the state of Uppermill - it was like entering a war zone. Two of our younger members were terrified just looking out of the window. Obviously, we decided not to play at that venue again.

Hells Bones

What a disgrace.

Whit Friday has been a massive source of income for literally hundreds of locals businesses (and not just pubs) for years.

Typical councillors wanting to get rid of an historical event.

I am officially still an Oldham resident.

You can bet your butts they will be hearing from me.

Mephi

Why is everyone saying the contests have been stopped? As of yet none have been stopped! Police n Ombc made proposals to certain contests, that is all. The contests said that they weren't happy and would have to consider going ahead because they didn't like the alternatives or didn't even bother considering any options. NIMBYism springs to mind. The reps of GMP and OMBC said they would report the feedback to their respective 'powers that be' and try their hardest to come up with other ideas. Some of the contests are as much to blame, they are being as unhelpful, narrow minded and unreasonable as the police and council are seemingly being.

I know all this because I was at Thursday's meeting and heard some of the garbage being spouted! One rep from a contest had even said that he can't stand brass bands - brilliant eh??

As soon as the new proposals can be made, individual contests will then make a decision on the future of their event this year. If I hear any news and CAN divulge it for the sake of the banding fraternity I will post it. For now let's all keep our fingers crossed and common sense may prevail!

mikelyons

Supporting Member
And I take it that you will have first hand knowledge of this Mike, But then again you live in Bolton.

Musical Director of a Saddlworth Band and a resident of this wonderful area.

I apologise for making silly comments in a serious thread - too much red grape juice. ;)

Anno Draconis

There is an Oldham Council press release about this, see link.

Incidentally I have had a "holding" response from OMBC saying they will issue a further statement in a few days....

Backrowmike

How sad, that a community festival like Whit Friday can be under threat. We all would miss it, but spare a thought for the residents of Saddleworth, if there is no Whit Friday, then there will soon be no beer walk, no yanks weekend, no rush cart, no folk festival etc..
Lets stand up for our communities and all those active citizens who work so hard to put on the "greatest free show on earth"!

When I played with Holme Silver we always did the Whit Friday morning church walk with St Chads in Uppermill (the band had done this year after year since before the second world war and still do to this day).

Whit Friday morning always started for by us playing Hail Simling Morn through Holmfirth at 8am before getting on the bus to go over to Saddleworth. One year, whilst arranging this, we were informed that the Police were no longer prepared to send officers to supervise/guide the march.

We had a go with our own committee/volunteers leading the march but it was too dangerous/risky to continue so one of our great traditions was lost and now it simply does not happen.

I hope the situation with the Whit Friday evening itself only requires some sensible dialogue from both sides.

The sad thing is the event has become an excuse amongst a growing majority for an all day drinking binge and the yobs are requiring so much Police time to control that there inevitably will not be enough Police resource to help administer the event (or the Police will think that, without the event, they will be saved much aggravation and resources).

Last year, playing with Hepworth at Uppermill on our march up the street, we had two seperate drunken idiots stagger off the pavement into the middle of the band pushing players and swinging punches. This was one of our earlier marches of the evening about 6pm/7pm!

I would say the majority out and about now have no interest in the bands or the meaning and history of the evening. Sad.