Which university for brass?

For brass bands i can highly recommend RWCMD, I'm starting ther next year after transferring from Birmingham Conservatoire after only one year. On hearing the Welsh Col brass band i was amazed.

Have to agree with Vegas Bound. Seriously think about what it is you want to do AFTER university, therefore which type of degree you want to do and what course content is best for you.

I studied music at Huddersfield University, didn't use my brains at all before I went and just got myself onto a course with a good brass band, where all my friends were studying. Stupid, I know! I hated the course, didn't like the options and regretted not putting more thought into it. Looking back, I wish I hadn't done a degree in music at all, but that's my own stupid fault. Make sure you look at all the courses available to you and decide which is best for you - not just which is best for the brass band and tutors.

Just to add, I'm not trying to imply you would make as stupid a decision as I did... but a few of the friends I met at Uni had been as flippant as me in making their choice of University, so I try and warn as many people as possible when I get the chance. You end up with a lot of debt - make it worth it!!!

lausonbass

Have to agree with Vegas Bound. Seriously think about what it is you want to do AFTER university, therefore which type of degree you want to do and what course content is best for you.

I studied music at Huddersfield University, didn't use my brains at all before I went and just got myself onto a course with a good brass band, where all my friends were studying. Stupid, I know! I hated the course, didn't like the options and regretted not putting more thought into it. Looking back, I wish I hadn't done a degree in music at all, but that's my own stupid fault. Make sure you look at all the courses available to you and decide which is best for you - not just which is best for the brass band and tutors.

Just to add, I'm not trying to imply you would make as stupid a decision as I did... but a few of the friends I met at Uni had been as flippant as me in making their choice of University, so I try and warn as many people as possible when I get the chance. You end up with a lot of debt - make it worth it!!!

I did that the first time i went to uni, i studied sports science, thats why i know i want to study music, i can't afford to go till i've paid my first lot of debt off. i'm going to study this time

I did that the first time i went to uni, i studied sports science, thats why i know i want to study music, i can't afford to go till i've paid my first lot of debt off. i'm going to study this time

Oh, lol. Well you know what I'm blabbing on about then!!! Hahaha!!! Hope you find the right place for you!

stotty74

I also like the idea of being able to perform in the last year rather than hving to write a dissertation.

As for after university, i don't really care, i'll be a mature student anyway but want to go for the experience of studying music. i think about music all day everyday so i know that working at an outdoor pursuits centre (which is what i do now) isn't where i want to be.

Definately don't have to write Dissertation if it's not suitable for you (though it was for Rachel - congrats by the way :biggrin: Performance is available in all 3 years, and if you want it as a major it's worth approx. 33% of your final year mark.

Agree with everything Rachel has said. Everyone is really friendly and mixes from all 3 years. I'm also a mature student, and even i'm accepted (well sort of ;-) ) despite my age!! When i was considering going back, i asked questions on here, and Rach told me the same sort of things and it was the best decision i made going to Salford to do music.

Not the best looking facilities in the world, but quality course and social life :)

When are you thinking of going?

DublinBass

Supporting Member
I'm you're really up for a life experience, you could always go to James Madison University or Ohio State University here in the States. You could get some wind band and orchestra experience to go with the brass bands.

tinytimp

I'm going to stick up for Wales here, adding to the grand total of 2 posts so far!

I did a BMus at Cardiff Uni and thoroughly enjoyed it. The majority of the first year modules are compulsory, which makes sure everyone gets to the same level and a good grounding in a range of skills - harmony, performance, history, analysis etc. (thankfully for me composition wasn't compulsory!) and from the 2nd year you can choose all but 1 of your modules. You don't have to do a dissertation in your third year either, you can choose from that, an open recital, analysis project or composition portfolio - at least 1 but no more than 2 of the above, or do extra modules instead. Instrumental teachers come from the BBC National Orchestra of Wales or Welsh National Opera. There were at least 2 mature students in every year when I was there who all seemed to get along really well.

Performance-wise, the University Symphony Orchestra has just engaged Mark Elder (former trom, BBC NOW) as its conductor, which should be quite exciting. There's also the choir and many other smaller ensembles within the department, and I believe in September there's a new student-run brass band starting - and if things haven't changed that much I know a bass would be very much appreciated! Lots of students also play in the City of Cardiff Concert Band (wind band). There are a lot of contesting brass bands around the Cardiff area and slightly further afield, and plenty of people who drive to them and are used to giving lifts to students.

Well done on making such a big decision to change your career, and wherever you choose I hope you do well :D

m.f.cooper

I did loads of music at the University of Warwick, but didn't do a music degree. Mainly because there isn't one! There is an awesome music centre, with loads of ensembles, including the brass band [off to Harrogate this year, 3rd section finals :-D ] It's a great place to do a non-music degree and still get the chance to play loads!

Rach_Horn

Definately don't have to write Dissertation if it's not suitable for you (though it was for Rachel - congrats by the way :biggrin: Performance is available in all 3 years, and if you want it as a major it's worth approx. 33% of your final year mark.

Agree with everything Rachel has said. Everyone is really friendly and mixes from all 3 years. I'm also a mature student, and even i'm accepted (well sort of ;-) ) despite my age!! When i was considering going back, i asked questions on here, and Rach told me the same sort of things and it was the best decision i made going to Salford to do music.

Not the best looking facilities in the world, but quality course and social life :)

When are you thinking of going?

Thanks karl :)

Yeah dissertation is just an option in third year as one of the two electives ( majors) ... as is full performance, composition, arts admin, arranging and conducting

You could pick full performance if you so wish and as Karl stated would receive 33% of the total final year mark on it :)

I've just completed my first year at the RWCMD in Cardiff and its been one hell of a dream year.... I have not stopped smiling and those that know me will confirm it.

The opporunity to play with Bob Childs and a college band that is of championship standard is fantastic.
Local bands range from 4th section to numerous championship section so lots of practicing.

RWCMD also has wind ensembles, symphony orchestra not to mention the winners of the inter college ensemble competition.

Tutors are excellent and the friends you will make from day 1 will be there for life.......

Can I sell it any more..... I can only say, look at the website, call Kevin Price (Head of Brass) and come and visit.... you will be amazed.

see you soon:clap::clap::clap: