Which Uni??

Im a cornet player and wanting to go to uni to study Music. My real passion is brass bands and i play the Bb and Eb cornet. Ive been told that I need to apply to about 8 Uni's. Ive looked at some but dont really know what to look for. The only one that I really know about is Salford and the music colleges.

Anyone got any advice on where to try??

Lauradoll

Naruco said:
Salford Univeristy- Band Musicianship course

:) It's great

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
They do a brass course at the RNCM, Huddersfield Uni and Barnsley College as well.

yr_epa

Welsh College of Drama and Music, Cardiff are going to start a Band Musicianship Course soon I think.

Aidan

Salford, Huddersfield, Welsh College and RNCM are probably the best to look at. Although banders are pretty much looked down upon at rncm :?

salford powah :D

deave

Lauradoll said:
They do a brass course at the RNCM, Huddersfield Uni and Barnsley College as well.

There is no brass course at Huds, but there is a brass band scoring and arranging module...that's about it as far as banding goes. The course is good tho and uni band is always fun :D

Deave

The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama is well worth a look at. Great place, great people and some fine bands, especially one actually in Glasgow!

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
I was a gnats guff away from doing a Banding course at Barnsley college a few years ago. Don't know if they still run it, being a soft southerener I didn't go in the end cos it was too cold there :)

Heppy

Whats that Deave, Uni band is always fun is it? Would that be because I get blamed for the front rows playing? Hudd. would be a good choice, although to be honest, Deave makes the place what it is. His light geordie banter is just what you need along with the haunting sound of a football bouncing out of the common room and hitting a timp. Very nice.

cbridge

It's not really a brass course at the RNCM, it's just a music degree but you can do first study on a brass band instrument. They have a couple of brass bands.

The thing with music college courses is that they're 4 years long, as opposed to 3 years as most universities. That's something else to think about as I still can't understand why I had to stay there for 4 years!

Aidan

not all the music colleges are 4 years though.
The BMus at the rncm is one of a few.
They used to do a BA which was only 3 but thats just been discontinued.

Okiedokie of Oz

I don't know about over there, but over here, the BA is really no good to anyone. Hte higher the degree the better, so to get that dream job you need the highest qualification, and probably youj'd want it soon, so I'd skip a BA and go to a B.Mus....

But over there is probably different. I mean, you have no hope of getting a full time brass band job over here!

**EDIT: Which I am very jealous of!!!**

Aidan

not much difference between the two over here :)
BA just being a more general degree title, although the BA music course is practically the same as the BMus.

James McFadyen

Kerwintootle said:
The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama is well worth a look at. Great place, great people and some fine bands, especially one actually in Glasgow!

You missed out all the fine totty! :wink:

Aidan

James McFadyen said:
Kerwintootle said:

You missed out all the fine totty! :wink:
don't get me started on manchester then!!!

cbridge

Not wanting to be pedantic, but the BA at the RNCM was a four year course but all the academic work was done by the end of the third year. You still did your final recital at the end of the fourth year. It was a non-honours degree as opposed to the BMus which had a more academic content. You're right though, they've done away with it.

cornetshell

personally i love salford. i did apply to Rncm, and other unis[ Bath spa,liverpool[?!] Hudds, Soas...err cant memba others!!]

but salford had what i thought was the best course for me- although it odes apear run down the people there are great- has a good atmosphere, aswell as some top lectureres[eek cant spell!] and general busy bodies.

oh and i forgot to mention the great mates there too- :wink:
yup lucky me puts up with aidan,lizi,lezi,tim, AD,sam,ned+more....all a bunch of nutters!!!!

[or was that they put up with me?]