Which Section can I play for ????????

Just a thought I had the other day, as you may guess from my name I am a drummer and play in a championship section band, which means I cannot play for any bands at contests in lower section (which is fair enough). BUT what if i wanted to play a brass instrument??

what section would I play for then, I have parped a few notes on a cornet and can say with some certainty that 4th section is the place for me, but I am not allowed to do this cos it say championship on my card, this isn't fair really, and I would guess it would be the other way around for a brass player wanting to play perc.

does anyone know if I could register myself AND an instrument twice once for perc and once for brass???? and if not WHY??

PeterBale

Staff member
Good point made there - equally, I'm sure there are plenty who are quite capable on valved instruments, but whose standard would drop considerably if handed a trombone. Don't think there's going to be solution to this one, though.

There are even problems if you want to play the same instrument in the same band at the same contest. I needed to play bass and tenor (small bore - for some jazz) trombone at an ents contest. I had trouble even doing this :?

That's a really good point and one that I had not thought of before and I would be interested in the answer. Can you not dep 2 players from a higher section and 2 players from a lower section in certain circumstances such as illness. I don't think this works for the regionals though, only at certain contests, or maybe I am talking a load of mince, but I sure I heard that somewhere :oops:

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
The top and bottom of it is no you can't play in a lower section. When you register as a player with the registry you don't register what instrument you play. Percussionists and brass players are all lumped together. The rules state clearly you may only register with one band at a time. The rule about playing for your own section band only actually depends on the contest you're playing at but its designed to stop low section bands borrowing 'star players' for contests therefore giving that band an unfair advantage

andywooler

Supporting Member
onedrummeruk said:
does anyone know if I could register myself AND an instrument twice once for perc and once for brass???? and if not WHY??

Mark, a great question although I guess the social life of a drummer these days must be pretty poor if you have time to practice a brass instrument as well! :wink:

Reversing the situation, I recall myself and David Lancaster, neither of us percussionists, depping for Alder Valley at a contest a few years ago. Suffice to say, they didn't win - might be partly due to my having to do most of the work with only one timp stick having broken the other quite early on!

andywooler

Supporting Member
doubling

Mike Saville said:
There are even problems if you want to play the same instrument in the same band at the same contest. I needed to play bass and tenor (small bore - for some jazz) trombone at an ents contest. I had trouble even doing this :?

One possible way around this is to get a new arrangement (authorised of course!) which clearly states that the bass trombone changes at this point to a tenor. At a quartet contest some years ago, I was on the end of an official complaint for switching instruments during one of the "Cats" - the organisers quite rightly determined that as the score says do preciscely that, it was acceptable.
I often wonder what would happen if such a chart was commissioned, including guitars and electric keyboards (being pedantic, a piano could be viewed as a percussion instrument) what contest organisers would do.

:D One solution might be to sign for the lower section band and be borrowed by the championship section band, although this does depend on how many they have to borrow as it's taking up a 'borrowed player' place, worth thinking about though if you want to persue playing cornet, after all we are the best section in any band!!!!!! :wink:

Roger Thorne

onedrummeruk said:
Just a thought I had the other day, as you may guess from my name I am a drummer and play in a championship section band, which means I cannot play for any bands at contests in lower section (which is fair enough).

BUT what if i wanted to play a brass instrument??

You register as the 'person' not the 'instrument'. So the answer to your question still remains the same regardless of instrument played.

:wink:

euphemism

I have the same problem - being a Euph player first and foremost - but I also play drums in a dance band - and often get asked to play drums with other band for concerts and contests....

It would make sense that drummers could play brass also in a different band - but then you may get people saying the same about cornet and trombone....

The rules is as the rules...

I did hear that if you are registered with a Scottish band you can also remain registered with an English band - but I couldn't confirm the truth in that....

Big Fella

Mark,
The only comment i can make here, is, That after sharing a stage with you at Pontin's a few years ago, and having a certain Mr. J. Cant swinging his arms around trying to get the "Shed Builders " at the back going, is STAY JUST HITTING THINGS..

Congratulations on getting engaged by the way !!!!!!

wewizrobbed

floral_dance said:
That's a really good point and one that I had not thought of before and I would be interested in the answer. Can you not dep 2 players from a higher section and 2 players from a lower section in certain circumstances such as illness. I don't think this works for the regionals though, only at certain contests, or maybe I am talking a load of mince, but I sure I heard that somewhere :oops:

hey

must only be in Scotland that you can guest higher section players... my old band guested championship players all the time :?