Which old test piece would you like to see revived

Favourite revival piece

  • Triumphant Rhapsody

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Connotations

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Frogs of Aristophanes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Volcano

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pageantry

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kensington Concerto

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    62

drummerboy

Member
Re: yippeeeeeee

Jordan said:
they must revive the Devil And The Deep blue Sea, was hoping it would be this years area piece, but never mind, i'd like to see concerto grosso(bourgeois) used more, or revelation

Concerto Grosso as a test piece! There's something I would like to see (as it's a fantastic piece), but then wouldn't (would probably kill off a fair few bands).
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
Re: yippeeeeeee

drummerboy said:
Concerto Grosso as a test piece! There's something I would like to see (as it's a fantastic piece), but then wouldn't (would probably kill off a fair few bands).
They'd probably cut it because of time and end up leaving out the best bits :!: :wink: :lol:
 

schilke

New Member
old test piece would you like to see reivived

I would like to see Lorenzo played again , plus maybe beethovens No1 an excellant choice :evil: :twisted: :twisted: Also Diversions for Brass Band D.B. Sop Player :twisted:
 
for me :

1) Devil and the Deep Blue Sea,
2) Blitz
3) no 1 has sed it but Harmony Music
4) Les Preludes (Franz Liszt, transcribed Bram Gay)
5) Partita, sparks one, can't remember who its by but nice trom effects in it. plus good horn part.

Think it rounds it up.
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
spookybiking said:
5) Partita, Not the wilby or Gregson one, can't remember who its by but nice trom effects in it. plus good horn part.

Was it Philip Sparke's "Partita"?
 

johnflugel

Active Member
I think it's important that bands are given something a little different from the norm from time to time. I think 'Prague' got peoples brains ticking (whether they liked it or not) which was a good thing. With regard to this..I would go with 'Seid' by Aagard Nilssen. This was used as the set test on 1996 at the Europeans. I love the music of Sparke, Wilby, Ellerby, Graham but you always know what you are going to get with them. Whilst not forgetting the great works from the past and modern day 'giants' mentioned above, we must be willing to try different ideas and be prepared to push the boundaries of bands past nice tunes and the usual technical difficulties from time to time.

John
 

The Cornet King

Active Member
johnflugel said:
With regard to this..I would go with 'Seid' by Aagard Nilssen.

John

Another good 'un on The Aagaard Nilsen front is his Riffs and Interludes. Quite similar in many ways to Aubade but a brill piece. Not really one for the 'traditional' audience who go to hear 'tunes' but a real corker of a contest piece. :D

:wink:
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
The Cornet King said:
johnflugel said:
With regard to this..I would go with 'Seid' by Aagard Nilssen.

John

Another good 'un on The Aagaard Nilsen front is his Riffs and Interludes. Quite similar in many ways to Aubade but a brill piece. Not really one for the 'traditional' audience who go to hear 'tunes' but a real corker of a contest piece. :D

:wink:
Either of thoase would be very good, and would give YBS an excellent chance of qualifying for the nationals :!: :wink: :lol:
 
I voted other-a piece called second sinfonietta for brass band should be revived (jean ballisat). It's absolutely fantastic-quite demanding technically, but otherwise it's a piece of top notch writing!
 

tim

Member
drummerboy said:
Jordan said:
they must revive the Devil And The Deep blue Sea, was hoping it would be this years area piece, but never mind, i'd like to see concerto grosso(bourgeois) used more, or revelation

Concerto Grosso as a test piece! There's something I would like to see (as it's a fantastic piece), but then wouldn't (would probably kill off a fair few bands).

a fair few bands use Concerto Grosso as an own choice test piece. But it should be used much more as it's miles better when played live than studio recording's!
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top