Where have I heard that before?

Ian

We have dug out an old tune called Nola by Felix Arndt and Sammy Skylar, originally composed in 1915 but arranged in 1959. Its a tune which is very familiar and I'm sure it was the theme to a radio show in the 1950's or '60's but none of us can place it and its driving us daft! Anyone have any ideas?
It goes - diddly dum di dum di dum - dum di dum di diddly - .......... with percussion on sandpaper blocks..

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Welcome Ian... this is one for our resident "diddly dum di dum di dum - dum di dum di diddly " recognising expert here me thinks....

Roger.. where are you... :)

PeterBale

Staff member
"Nola" is one of the songs featured by Patrick Sheridan on his "Lollipops" cd. If I remember correctly, there was a comedy single version produced in the 60's/70's but I can't recall who did it - someone like Joyce Grenfell I think. The composer's name is Felix Arndt (1889-1918).

Ian

Thanks for the suggestions so far but no-one has yet hit on the right tune - Janet was on the right track I think but Nola is a Schottische and somewhat quicker than the tune she suggested. I have a picture in my mind of a couple of comics doing a sand dance to it in the days of black and white TV (daddy, when you were young was all the world black and white - a question from my young daughter some years ago!!) but I'm also fairly sure it was used either to introduce a radio show or as the theme tune of a famous band on the radio. For what its worth I've put a scan of the solo cornet/conductor part at http://www.watchman.dsl.pipex.com/temp/nola.jpg

Hello Ian

I put 'NOLA' into the following search engine:

http://www.musicrobot.com/

The tune I have been referring to was the result. I recognised it from my much younger days sat around the wireless and my parents came up with the finer details.

Some of the MIDI files are played faster than the JG & NW version.

I shall now look at the scan although, as a bass player, I am not used to so many notes!

Janet

Ian

Hi Janet,

although, as a bass player, I am not used to so many notes!

I don't know where you got that idea from - as someone who has played all the instruments in band and now regularly plays solo Eb bass and solo euph, I think I can confidently say that the bass is the most demanding. True, the music page doesn't always look as black as the solo cornet or euph part but that's only because they often have a couple of different parts on the same page. The problem with the bass part is that you seldom get a rest (try Derek Broadbent's Dragnet) or you have to work extra hard flinging your big valves around to keep up with the cornets (look at Alan Fernie's arrangement of 'A Glenn Miller Collection').
I reckon it's time we bass players made the rest of the band realise that we have a perfect right to be a bit strange as we do unique things with our instruments!! :wink:

Straightmute

Ian said:
- as someone who has played all the instruments in band and now regularly plays solo Eb bass and solo euph,

Then maybe you are the same Ian W that attended the Ripon Brass Workshops I organised a few years ago? If so (or even if not!) welcome to tMP.

I've known Nola for ages, but only as Nola. In this arrangement it used to be staple diet of every decent 4th section band and it graced the programmes of village fetes everywhere. Now that Frank B has superceded Edrich S in providing simple-but-effective arrangments of 'popular' music this sort of piece has rather gone out of fashion but I bet it's in most of our libraries gathering dust.

D

Ian

Hi David,

Yes, I am the same, and still attending the brass workshops now at South Emsall.
I know this is an old piece which many bands probably have although I wouldn't necessarily label it as '4th section' - it all depends on how well you play it and what music you can extract from it (I know one 1st section band euph player who often gets her fingers in a knot in this piece :wink: ). Anyway, the thing is that it is quite an entertaining piece that most older people know but, how, as MC, do you introduce it?
Best wishes,

PeterBale

Staff member
Ian said:
Anyway, the thing is that it is quite an entertaining piece that most older people know but, how, as MC, do you introduce it?

You could always play it without giving them the name, telling them it is a tune they will probably recognise, and asking them to say what it is called, and the name of the programme they associate it with - maybe you'd get your answer then :wink:

Like a super sleuth I am still digging out info about NOLA. I now concede that it is not the same piece as the Norman Wisdom & Joyce Gregell duet. However, I have found words to Nola, so you could always get the audience to sing along. Check them out here.

http://www.digitaltimes.com/karaoke/singers/nola.html

For more background to the origins of the piece, try this link.

http://www.grainger.de/music/composers/arndt.html

Getting there! I shall be consulting with the 'oracle' again later, so further news may follow!

Off to a concert now.

Janet

Ian

PeterBale said:
You could always play it without giving them the name, telling them it is a tune they will probably recognise, and asking them to say what it is called, and the name of the programme they associate it with - maybe you'd get your answer then :wink:

Hi Peter,

Tried that last night at an Armistice concert, full of old fogeys, and not one knew - they did, however, all hum along to the tune!!