Where do you do it.

Where do you practice

• Total voters

BigHorn

I have done it in every room in the house and once or twice in the car.
I often do it on my own in the bathroom and get strange looks from my family when I have finished.

Before you get any funny ideas i'm talking about practising.

So where do you do it?

Personally I don't think you can beat the loo. Comfortable seat, great acoustics and you don't disturb anybody. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one - cos my family think I'm strange.

Naomi McFadyen

:lol: I must admit I got slighty worried there... [phhhhh] [/eeeeeW!]

I've practised brass in bedroom, bathroom and uni practise rooms

BigHorn said:
I have done it in every room in the house and once or twice in the car.
I often do it on my own in the bathroom and get strange looks from my family when I have finished.

Before you get any funny ideas i'm talking about practising.

So where do you do it?

Personally I don't think you can beat the loo. Comfortable seat, great acoustics and you don't disturb anybody. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one - cos my family think I'm strange.

Bathroom for me when the neihbours are in, sound doesn't carry to their house then :) ... so you are not alone or strange

Moy

I DO IT in my living room and also at school when I get the ODD free period when a pupil is absent.

I hope our MD reads this and is impressed and I know Kirsty does it most days as well if not every day. :wink:

Now will this be censored??? It was the question asked though!!!

Hollie

I voted for bedroom although it was a spare bedroom now turned into a music room. My keyboard & cornet are in there along with my brother's drum kit!

eckyboy

Used to do it at lunchtime in the back of my works van but now a quick halfhour in the diningroom before tea

If I owned a set of timpani (or xylo!), i'd practise everyday, sadly, I just have to go early to band and practise (and still get told to shut up :roll: ) its alright for these brass players, they can take their instruments home :wink:

lynchie

i only have my room in the house i'm living in at the moment. Hoepfully when i move back to my place I can go back to practicing in the kitchen...

Dave Euph

At home in my bedroom, but the noise has annoyed the neighbours on more than one occasion ... I suppose I have to curb my obsession ... :roll:

At uni in my flat room, my flatmate usually turns his music up very loud when I'm doing it though.

I've gone for my bedroom because it's the most convenient as all my stuff is in there and i have a silent brass so i don't have to worry about disturbing anyone :p

But i do like to do it in the bathroom because the acoustics are great and the toilet is a great seat 'cause it's hard and has no back (i can't stand slouching into a chair when i'm playing!!).

cornetgirl

Due to the extreme thinness of the walls, it's downstairs in the garage for me - and chilly it is too!!

Rach x

I prefer to practice in the Recital Hall of my Steinway piano showroom because the acoustics are great and there are no interruptions after store hours.

But my wife complains when I stay late at work, so I end up coming home and practicing in the bedroom.

tim

I do it in my brother's room since he's away at university but also because it is the deadest acoustic in the house so it makes it much easier to hear bad intonation and clipped notes

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
ukdrummerboy said:
If I owned a set of timpani (or xylo!), i'd practise everyday, sadly, I just have to go early to band and practise (and still get told to shut up :roll: ) its alright for these brass players, they can take their instruments home :wink:

One of our percussionists practiced a tricky xylo part by bashing bits of masking tape stuck to his dining table. Now that's commitment!

Generally I practice in the bedroom - the room firthist away from our neighbours!

We are lucky to have a big old Victorian detatched house with what is called 3 reception rooms.
We call one of these "The Play Room"
It has a pool table, piano ,keyboard,computer(with midi links to piano) and assorted musical instruments - and no TV
This is where I practice and generally hide away from the family :wink: