When is a Brass Instrument Not a Brass Instrument...

stevies_ere

When is a Brass Instrument Not a Brass Instrument...

When its an Accordion being Played by a Soloist at Bolsover Festival Of Brass

Ooh, I appear to have stirred up a bit of controversy.... ;) For the record, can I just point out the following...

1. There is nothing in the rules for Bolsover that says the soloist has to play a brass instrument - we even checked with the organisers about this, just to be sure.

2. The arrangement we played was a proper published arrangement for Accordion and Brass Band, which cost me about 70 quid from the Swiss publisher - there are several other arrangements for accordion and brass band, some of which we have played in concert over the last couple of years.

3. The solo was played by a registered member of the band (i.e. me! :D). OK, so I normally play percussion, but I've played accordion for more years than I care to remember..!

4. The adjudicator decided that the performance merited the award of 'best soloist' in the 3rd section. In fact, he told me afterwards how much he'd enjoyed the performance, and that it was the first time in 20 years of adjudicating that he'd awarded a solo prize to an accordionist!! :)

So, no rules were broken, no copyright laws were infringed, and no animals were harmed... oh, and a room full (well, half-full) of people was entertained.

Any harm done... really??

Robhibberd29

Can't see the harm myself.....I'm sure there has been people singing solos before? I know of a band that has had bagpipes and bicycle bells in the past......;-)

Well done Jeff, fair play to you!

James Yelland

1. There is nothing in the rules for Bolsover that says the soloist has to play a brass instrument - we even checked with the organisers about this, just to be sure.

Seems reasonable. Otherwise you'd have to exclude xylo solos and various other shed-building features.

... there are several other arrangements for accordion and brass band...

There is even an original Concerto for Accordion and Band by the Canadian composer Gary Kulesha, and very good it is too. Recorded by the Hannaford Street Silver Band on their Heavy Metal CD.

...(and) a room full (well, half-full) of people was entertained.

Precisely. Good for you!

Di B

Jeff is a talented percussionist, accordionist and band arranger.
He also does a spot of stick wagging and has less successfully picked up a cornet here and there (my ears hurt! Lol!)

When he commits to a band they find themselves with a friendly committed player who would be welcome in any level of percussion section.
If Jeff had dusted off his xylo I am sure he would have still won the soloist prize. His nick on here is HelternSkelter for a reason!

It was entertainment at an entertainment contest so it was rewarded. The adjudicator rated the playing above brass soloists on the day. Maybe they weren't On form?
No rules were broken - what is the issue?

Well done Jeff.
I just don't like seeing a good player and committed bandsman being dug at.

Brass and accordion does work. Boobs and brass did it at Butlins a couple of years ago and the audience loved it. You should really get in touch with Mairi, Jeff :)

Bayerd

So, no rules were broken, no copyright laws were infringed, and no animals were harmed... oh, and a room full (well, half-full) of people was entertained.

Any harm done... really??

That would depend on whether you either put something up or down an octave or played through a silent mute whilst reading off a part that had additions stuck on with sellotape....