What's your wettest ever band job?

Bones

Hot and Wet.......

Combining the 2 threads for the purpose of my answer.

I played with Thoresby at the French Open I think in 2003/2004.

It was baking hot in the hall where we did the gala concert and I was sweating buckets. It was simply the most uncomfortable place to play.

I got through a pair of band trousers and 3 shirts that day, and I threw them away in Amboise, as I didn't think they would be worth wearing again. Thank Christ for Tesco cheap trousers and shirts......

I played there last year with GUS and it wasn't much better, still very very warm and sticky, mind you, it made the beer a lot more palatable.

smi00107

Rugby World Cup 1991

When I was with Pontypool Band we were asked to play for the Australia v Western Samoa game that was being staged at Pontypool Park during the 1991 Rugby World Cup.
We played in the middle of the pitch before the game and we played the Anthems in torrential rain. Gerald Davies was commentating on TV and said of the band: 'it was the biggest display if spleen since Noah!'.
The copies of music got drenched and later the copies of Men of Harlech began to grow spots of mould which were still evedent years later.
The Match was notible as being the lowest score in Rugby World Cup history as Australia won 6 points to 3.
We didn't care as we were all in the pub drying off and didn't see the game!

cbridge

Combining the 2 threads for the purpose of my answer.

I played with Thoresby at the French Open I think in 2003/2004.

It was baking hot in the hall where we did the gala concert and I was sweating buckets. It was simply the most uncomfortable place to play.

I got through a pair of band trousers and 3 shirts that day, and I threw them away in Amboise, as I didn't think they would be worth wearing again. Thank Christ for Tesco cheap trousers and shirts......

I played there last year with GUS and it wasn't much better, still very very warm and sticky, mind you, it made the beer a lot more palatable.

I said that!! it was pretty damn hot last year!!!

Leisa x

grahammck

Remembrance Sunday 2007 (AM) is definitely the wettest for me. It was a very short march, but what started out as a drizzle turned into a downpour! We were a sorry sight when we got into the church but we did show excellent levels of professionalism (as you'd expect). Interestingly, we'd ordered some brand new raincoats a few weeks prior. Needless to say, they didn't arrive in time. I'd never marched in rain before...

omega56

I Played in the centre of Town a few years ago,well played isnt quite the word,it had been raining on and off all day and we attempted to sit down to start and as soon as we did the rain poured down,so we retreated to find shelter till there was a gap in the clouds,then tried again....same thing happened,down it came again .after about seven attempts we finally gave in and started to pack up, soggy bandsmen. soggy music we had a couple of collecting buckets with a few pounds and coppers in which I thought was quite generous of our very spartan audience only to be told that it was our own money we`d put in to encourage donations,as we packed away the last music stand...guess what ? the sun came out and it didnt rain again for the rest of the day

brassbandmaestro

One of my wettest ever band jobs has to be The Lewes Bonfire Night!! I think is was a night in 1995/6??, if my memory serves me correctly. It just rained and rained and rained. I have never done a marching job like that since! Funny how my asthma got in the way after the event!!!

Aussie Tuba

Was playing outside McDonalds in West Geelong Victoira Aus. we were there for the McHappy Day, were peronalities give time freely to sell Big Macs for Ronald McDonald house charity. It started dry and the Band had instument cases behind the area where we were playing. A Storm cell came through, The rain was terrential and the wind so strong it Blew our instrument cases into the Drive through Drive way.

cmabatten

Back in the 1980's our local council in Bolton organised an attempt at the world record for the largest marching band. Bands from all over the place were invited to participate. We played a couple of pieces in one of the stands at Burnden Park (ex home of the mighty Bolton Wanderers) led by Harry Mortimer and then followed a march around Bolton. It poured it down all the way through the march, everyone of us was soaked. We never managed to get the world record, but i think we managed the largest, wettest marching band in Europe. Did anyone else on tmp participate?
Hi
I was there :)
I think the tie says " biggest marching band in Europe and The wettest marching band in the world" :)

Withington (Glos) Fete circa 2005. The rain was torrential. We kept playing to keep the event alive. The Band had a gazebo or some such but no room inside for the conductor (Me) who stood outside and despite a overcoat I was soaked to the skin. Luckily I didn't have a uniform jacket on but I was so wet that my white shirt had taken the colour of the dye of the coat. We declined the engagement the following year.