What's your wettest ever band job?

MaxPressure

Just been reminded that my wettest band job was at cambridge....... it didn't rain but when we went punting up the river, I went and had a close up of the riverbed.
When i went under there wasn't many people around, but when i surfaced hundreds of people had appeared from nowhere...... and they were all armed with cameras :oops: :oops: :oops:

4thmandown

Shirley should have been at Evesham on Sunday. That would have been the wettest band job ever! I would have been 3ft deep in water sat on the bandstand. Seriously though, my sympathies go out to all those affected by the flooding.

mark_scott

When I was with my old youth band we did a march job which was about a mile long and it poured it down all the way and then we had to go and play a concert in the middle of a field and the band started sinking in the mud. What was meant to be a nice band job turned into a mudbath.

DMBabe

Supporting Member
years ago i was playing at boughton on the water, playing a selection that contained the piece 'stormy weather'.... and sure enough the heavens opened and stayed open :(
Reminds me of when we played "Singing in the Rain" in the big Marquee at Brass in the park and as we got to the quiet ending we were met by the dulcet tones of bucketing rain on canvas, thunder and water gushing down the supporting poles! It went down a storm (literally) with the audience and at least we were inside!

Robhibberd29

Wasn't particularly attrocious weather but I did a gig last year in Scotland at a country park, which was quite open beside the boating lake therefore the wind had a good opportunity to blow a fair old breeze and when it started raining in the middle of my solo the rest of the band ran off and left me there playing all on my lonesome.Charming! I know it's a solo but that's taking it a bit too far! I can assure you they didn't beat a hasty retreat as a result of my playing, before anyone suggests that!

Robhibberd29

Wasn't particularly attrocious weather but I did a gig last year in Scotland at a country park, which was quite open beside the boating lake therefore the wind had a good opportunity to blow a fair old breeze and when it started raining in the middle of my solo the rest of the band ran off and left me there playing all on my lonesome.Charming! I know it's a solo but that's taking it a bit too far! I can assure you they didn't beat a hasty retreat as a result of my playing, before anyone suggests that!
Mind you it worked out ok in one respect. It saved me getting pelted with bananas as happened the day before when I played the same solo, "I wanna be like you" from the Jungle Book.

Yes, how they laughed. Ha ****** ha.

Souter

Queens Jubilee visit to Lauder.

Glorious upon arrival, band in uniforms rather than raincoats, just as Betty pulled up the heavens opened and truly opened at that. So in a very brave move our conductor changed the programme
and played Alan Fernies wonderful arrangement of Singing In The Rain - got all the crowd going and got a lot of mentions - including full page articles in the National Press and item No.3 on Reporting Scotland.

DMBabe

Supporting Member
Queens Jubilee visit to Lauder.

Glorious upon arrival, band in uniforms rather than raincoats, just as Betty pulled up the heavens opened and truly opened at that. So in a very brave move our conductor changed the programme
and played Alan Fernies wonderful arrangement of Singing In The Rain - got all the crowd going and got a lot of mentions - including full page articles in the National Press and item No.3 on Reporting Scotland.
Anyone noticing a pattern? Maybe we shouldn't play this at outside gigs?? Or maybe we should rent ourselves out during droughts? (admittedly thats unlikely in Scotland)?:confused:

mell c

Western Super Mare contest 1994. (Decided it would be a good idea to go skinny dipping) ! Needless to say i have never had the urge again !

MartinT

The latest candidate has to be Wootton Bassett Carnival today. It was dry until the moment we set off, then just got wetter... and wetter.
Several players found they could read better without their glasses on. Halfway round, one of my hearing aids stopped working (but as Doddy was on that side of me, I could still hear the bass line perfectly well :)).
Not helped by muppets throwing coins in the High Street...
Hmmmm.:eek:

MaxPressure

The latest candidate has to be Wootton Bassett Carnival today. It was dry until the moment we set off, then just got wetter... and wetter.
Several players found they could read better without their glasses on. Halfway round, one of my hearing aids stopped working (but as Doddy was on that side of me, I could still hear the bass line perfectly well :)).
Not helped by muppets throwing coins in the High Street...
Hmmmm.:eek:
Hmm if it's the same Doddy I know you could be stone deaf and in the next county and still hear him above everyone else :biggrin:

Roof

The Closing ceremony of the Commonwealth games in Manchester 2002 has to be the weirdest/wettest. Being August and supposed to be the middle of summer you would think you would be virtually guaranteed dry weather. Both the rehearsal and the real thing had that horrible drizzle that you don't think is there but it gets you wringing wet!
Many a Rememberance sunday has been spent wringing out Marches/hymn books too.
Banding - great isn't it!!!

Without any doubt, it was in September 1997 - the day that Princess Di died. Shirley Band were in Kings Heath Park, under the baton of Harold McNeil, for whom it always seems to rain. Solemn music was requested by the organisers. I don't know if that was to match the weather, or the news. 1/2 an hour of solemn music later (all we had in the pad) - and that was it. Waded through the park/lake and into the pub.
Funny you mention this,I was with Carlton Main in Cheltenham on Sunday 31 st August 1997, we were to lead a parade for the races, we were then told the news about Diana and the band were requested to slow march around the town and not to play a note. Just as we set off the sky went black and the heavens opened, it was uncanny,the worst rain and thunder that I have ever seen, all our shoes filled up with water, it was like a scene from the film ten commandments, I have never forgot that day.

cookie2

Is it me or does the subject on this discussion sound really dirty!?
I don't think it's you, I reckon everyone thinks the same but just ignores it so they don't seem rude. After all, this is the brass band movement we're on about here, I suspect Finbarr Saunders himself was a closet trombonist.

My theory on why this fine thread's been going so long is that people click on it thinking "Ey up", then realise what it's actually about and start reminiscing...

(Oh, and mine's still York. Just.)

millie6589

Harrogate Spa Gardens in summer last year. Even the ducks were sheltering from the rain but we're a stubborn lot and didn't let it spoil our 'lovely' afternoon. we literally had one man and his dog as our audience before his umbrella got too saturated with water and he gave up and went..

leisa

The Closing ceremony of the Commonwealth games in Manchester 2002 has to be the weirdest/wettest. Being August and supposed to be the middle of summer you would think you would be virtually guaranteed dry weather. Both the rehearsal and the real thing had that horrible drizzle that you don't think is there but it gets you wringing wet!
Many a Rememberance sunday has been spent wringing out Marches/hymn books too.
Banding - great isn't it!!!

i forgot about that! I wasnt playing but i was one of the dancing kids and had to paint myself i just remember we all ran on and loads just slipped and fell on the sheet floor thing! trying to dance in that was a nightmare and i remember my lantern nearly fell apart from the wettness! I tried to keep it afterward but it went a bit mouldy...:-?

DanB

We play Christmas carols on centre circle at Walkers Stadium every Decemeber - the wind always blows straight through you. There was a year when the rain was coming in horizontally... couldn't see, couldn't hear (probably the best I've ever played!)... Still, the 30-odd thousand football fans seemed to enjoy the spectacle!!!

quantumq4

Two spring to mind.

One where I helped out Adhock Jazz at the Stotfold Mill Fete thing, as it was local to me I did a reckie of the site the day before in the rain and splodged my way across the boggy field to the tent. The next day it was still raining as I waded across the field with my drum kit, vowing to the conductor that if I slipped over even once then I was going home!
She got me some helpers and the motorcycle display team was cancelled..........

Another was some National trust house garden party near Newbry where I was helping out Luton brass :frown: . It was absolutly P*ss*ng it down and our tent was starting to flood. After 5 hours of not many people turning up we were let out and I wheelspan my way out of the field with a fully loaded car! :biggrin: