What's your lowest turnout ever?

Just got in from practise tonight and there were only 10 of us in total because of the snow! Our treasurer (bless him) was very proud that we'd never gone below 15, but it seems as though we've beaten our own record! He'll be devistated!

Was just wondering what's the lowest turn out you've ever seen at practise? Oh and why were so many not there? There must be some hilarious reasons such as: it was so cold, the engine set on fire- no joke, it's been used!!
So i'll leave it to you!

:lol:

Dawnys_flug said:
There must be some hilarious reasons such as: it was so cold, the engine set on fire- no joke, it's been used!!

The use of 'set on fire' by the person (who shall remain nameless) was an exaggeration and the engine was only steaming because of the heat produced by the warm engine on a cold day!!

Just thought i'd clarify that because other wise it wouldn't really be an excuse cause their car would be on fire!!
:roll:
Ok i'm done babbling now!!

Over to you now, i promise!

The Cornet King

Can't recall having had a really low turnout at a rehearsal...

I remember one guy was late to a concert because he was walking his dog :? :lol:

Oh and i really shouldn't laugh but the conductor at my old band, was unable to attend a rehearsal because he was cooking jacket potato for tea, and when he opened the microwave door the Jacket potato exploded and some went in his eye :lol: :lol: Sure it was dreadfully painful...but i seem to remember most of the band being in stitches for ages! :lol: :lol:

:wink:

Accidental

Supporting Member
Practice was cancelled tonight cos of the snow :(

A few bands ago we went through months of averaging around 12 at a rehearsal, which was gutting. No particular reasons stood out, the band was going through a rough patch and people just seemed to have more important things in their lives. Glad to hear things have picked up for them now though.

Steve

Was playing in a band where the regular turnout was <8 people. Also did one for a band just before christmas where there were 7 including the conductor and librarian.

Dave Payn

Quite used to low turnouts at Croydon (well, up until recently, anyway ;-) but in my early days at Crystal Palace Band, in the early 1980s, we did manage (if that's the right word!) 6 at one rehearsal!

Anyway, London did eventually have a bit of a snowstorm yesterday (well, snowstorm for London!) and I was due to conduct the Merton Concert Band's rehearsal in WImbledon, but loads of them cried off so it got called off at the last minute, otherwise there'd have been 2 or 3!

bruceg

Our lowest turn out over the past year or so has been 12 - pretty disheartening for those who attend regularly. Our conductor has said that if he gets a single digit turn out then he's off home for the evening and I have to say that I agree with him on that score (no pun intended).

Usual attendance is around the 18-20 mark.

PeterBale

Staff member
Can we count the time when two of us turned up for a practice only to find out it had been cancelled :?: :shock: :lol:

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
Dawnys_flug said:
Was just wondering what's the lowest turn out you've ever seen at practise? Oh and why were so many not there? There must be some hilarious reasons such as: it was so cold, the engine set on fire- no joke, it's been used!!
So i'll leave it to you!

Along with 4 other people I really did miss a practice because my car engine caught fire

Dave1

Not so much of low numbers at rehearsal but many, many years ago did a concert in a remote rural town and - yes you guessed it - only one person turned up and he was the caretaker.
Sad but true.

The Cornet King

Then on a topic of very low numbers for a concert.

Last summer i returned to play for my old band back home and we did an afternoon gig for some 'fayre' at a Working Men's Club.

Members of the audience- 0
People in the WMC- Roughly 5 ( 0 of whom were interested in the band)
Passes by- about 5 (none of whom stopped to listen).

What a sodding waste of time that was!!! :lol:

However, on a positive note (in fact the ONLY positive of that day!) i do believe the band was paid healthily. Beer was crap though! :cry:

GJG

I have to share this with you; I shall be careful not to name names, but I suspect one or two other tMP-ers might guess anyway......

I was guesting at a rehearsal with a band who were struggling with membership, and turned up to rehearsal to find myself one of eight players. Later, after the rehearsal (at which, as I recall, the eight of us had valiantly ploughed through "Contest Music", Pageantry", and some other major work I can't remember), I overheard one of the regulars haranguing the secretary:

"Look, if we knew in advance that we only expecting eight people, why the hell didn't we cancel?"

"Ah, well," replied the secretary (a man whose eternal optimism and refusal to admit defeat under any circumstances will go down in history), "we were expecting nine............."

:?

Dan

GJG said:
"Look, if we knew in advance that we only expecting eight people, why the hell didn't we cancel?"

"Ah, well," replied the secretary (a man whose eternal optimism and refusal to admit defeat under any circumstances will go down in history), "we were expecting nine............."

:?

:lol: :lol:

satchmo shaz

well, despite the snow I had a rehearsal of 27 but did have 2 missing due to the weather, 1 at work and 1 ill. Mind you someone was late because they had to defreeze his car boot with a blow torch to get 2 trombones in!! :lol: :wink:

Straightmute

We dipped to 22 last night owing to bad weather (5), illness (2), and work(2). We sometimes get similar numbers in August, otherwise that's pretty low for us. But everyone phoned to explain their absences and send apologies, so we can't ask for much more than that. And the conditions on the roads in the Dales were very bad...

D

Keppler

Staff member
Must get your bandmaster's secrets, Dave.. ;)
I'm sure it's all down to a good deal of growling..

Okiedokie of Oz

I am trying to encourage all band memebrs to apologise in advance by writing their names down on a white baord if they know, and we have a phone in the hall, plus my mobile, to encourage people to ring me if they can't make it. And transport is not an excuse, we can arrange carpools