What's your favourite dynamic???

James McFadyen

The last four notes of my testpiece, Opposition of Mars (written for the Fodens Richardson Composition Award) are written ffffff.

This will be the colour of everyone's face at that point :oops:

:lol:

Well I play in two bands - both so different.

One is...... "conductor says I know its f - but do mf...." it's a quiet quality sounding band.

Other is ......."conductor says I know its f - this is a brass band, it should be LOUD!!!!"

I enjoy both bands........but the fff band is more enjoyable.

ps Sure that my first thoughts as an 11 year still hold - Kids are noisy, and the cornet was exactly what I wanted!!!

timbloke

I think my favourite dynamics are when a band is playing ff, then as one drops to pp, that big change, and for the same reason i like fp the best. i've always enjoyed it.

on a related point, i was once told that the literal translation of "issimo" is "as possible" i.e fortissimo is as loud as possible, and therefore fff is impossible as it is louder than possible? comments?

We are rehearsing for Whitburn at the moment with lots of ff in our pieces but also plenty of contrast,mp, p etc. I think I prefer contrast rather than one dynamic. I agree Naruco you can't beat a wel played hymn tune.

PeterBale

Staff member
timbloke said:
on a related point, i was once told that the literal translation of "issimo" is "as possible" i.e fortissimo is as loud as possible, and therefore fff is impossible as it is louder than possible? comments?

Not being an Italian-speaker I cannot really comment on the literal meaning of fortissimo, but it does illustrate a common misunderstanding when reading dynamics. In that sense, the straightforward reading of it in English as "double forte", "treble forte" etc is more accurate, as each additional "f" (or "p" for that matter) simply denotes a move one notch along a linear scale.

Each dynamic mark should be seen as relative to the next within the context of the piece - a Mozartian forte is going to be different to a Wagnerian one, for example. One of the main problems in brass bands is that we do not make enough of the contrasts - in particular, we seem to shy away from really quiet playing, which means that when we up the volume there tends to be over-blowing.

As for James's ffffff I hope he can find a band that is able to judge their dynamic level finely enough to do the work justice. (Incidentally, over the Finals weekend I followed the Ligeti violin concerto with the score, where he asks for ffffffff toward the end!)

SBB

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lynchie

actually, thinking about it I quite enjoy it when there's just a crescendo marked and no dynamic mark at the end... i usually take it that there just wasn't room for the fs

timbloke

PeterBale said:
timbloke said:

Not being an Italian-speaker I cannot really comment on the literal meaning of fortissimo, but it does illustrate a common misunderstanding when reading dynamics.

I agree, but my perhaps my point was actually, is it sensible to have a dynamic range from 5 ps to 5 fs in a peice. it is easy to distinguish between pp, p, mp, mf, f and ff. and perhaps occasionally go one step further (say at a climax of a piece), or, through the style you play, include a piu f. but can anyone honestly say they can make a 13 or 14 different dynamics. the problem is that if you play a ff very loud, it is too often hard to go anywhere for the fff or ffff. and you end up with there being no difference in dynamics between to two, or an ugly sound.

James McFadyen said:
The last four notes of my testpiece, Opposition of Mars (written for the Fodens Richardson Composition Award) are written ffffff.

This will be the colour of everyone's face at that point :oops:

Nice!! :wow

ploughboy

P & PP

for me when bands playing quiet and balanced then drops even lower in dynamic thats a great sound.

Jo Elson

I like mf and f. I can put loads of air through to make a clear sound, an it's a comfortable dynamic to play at, I feel.

GJG

On soprano, one notch louder than everyone else is favourite ........

G.

Straightmute

Hi Gareth

I wondered if it was you! Welcome to tMP. Are you still arranging? Please say hello to all my old mates now in Egham.

Cheers

D